• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

blue scorpion

Youth Team
I am baffled by the appeals for money for Burma.
As I understand it, the country is a major exporter of pearls rubies and sapphires.
It also has offshore gas and oil supplies.
My question is- where has all this money gone.
I know Burma has had a military junta since 1962 so is the answer that, as is usual with this type of regime, a few live lives of unfettered luxury whilst the majority survive in abject poverty.
Can anyone enlighten me please.

As I understand it, the country is a major exporter of pearls rubies and sapphires.
I know Burma has had a military junta since 1962 so is the answer that, as is usual with this type of regime, a few live lives of unfettered luxury whilst the majority survive in abject poverty.

You have answered your own question. The top half dozen skimming away millions while the rest scrabble around for whats left over. As is always the case, it's neighbours do the usual and choose to ignore the human rights issues that have plaqued the country since the military took control.

If aid workers get in then pictures and stories will leak out about how the indigious live and are treated which will lead to even greater world condamnation.

And we are being screwed over by our govenment any which way, yet these people still want us to doante to this!!!

How about a donation to us!

I rather feel the Burmese have a greater need. I am assuming, of course, you have access to clean water, food and a roof.

You have answered your own question. The top half dozen skimming away millions while the rest scrabble around for whats left over. As is always the case, it's neighbours do the usual and choose to ignore the human rights issues that have plaqued the country since the military took control.

If aid workers get in then pictures and stories will leak out about how the indigious live and are treated which will lead to even greater world condamnation.

What I consider to be important is that if Burma has a considerable resource[and I dont know this just speculating] is that if another country,with no resources, should suffer a similar disaster, then valuable funds will have been diverted away already into Burma, who refuse to let foreign aid workers into the country to oversee the fair distribution of the aid.

I rather feel the Burmese have a greater need. I am assuming, of course, you have access to clean water, food and a roof.

So do the top 2% of the Burmese population that'll be skimming the aid provided.

So do the top 2% of the Burmese population that'll be skimming the aid provided.

Not to mention Oxfam who will skim 25% of the money donated for "administration". Lbf, for every £1 donated, it will probably be pennies that make it to the people in need ( if Burma let it in!)

Didn't I read yesterday that the Burmese authorities have impounded the first lot of relief cargo and humanitarian workers that have arrived, and have said they will refuse access to any further that are sent?

Apparantly this could top the death toll of the Boxing day tsunami due to the waterborne diseases, and it's all due to the Burmese military. Shame there's no oil there, eh Bush/Blair.....

Didn't I read yesterday that the Burmese authorities have impounded the first lot of relief cargo and humanitarian workers that have arrived, and have said they will refuse access to any further that are sent?

The UN really should cut all ties with nations under militaristic rule...

Back