• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Damian Scannell

Played today for Sutton Utd v Chelmsford City. Also in the Sutton side was Mick Spillane and on the bench was Bedsente Gomis. Lee Sawyer was on the bench for Chelmsford along with their coach Kevin Maher.

Its funny how players soon fall. Lee Sawyer had all the potential in the world but he blew it. Lack of effort i think was the downfall for him. And Damian Scannell, he was one of the best players in the season that we went down with Tilson, and Sturrock offered him a deal and he rejected it. Now look where he is.:unsure::unsure:

I was a huge fan of Lee Sawyer on his first loan spell with us. He was an exciting player who could run with the ball but seemed to throw it all away with his off field antics which was a real shame.

Scannell I will never forget when he came on at millwall away, run over to the corner flag and done a kun Fu kick and was sent off after being on the pitch for about 5 seconds.

Notwithstanding his previous off the field issues, Sawyer has been brilliant for Chelmsford this season. He's only on the bench now because of an injury (I think it's a hernia problem, but I could be wrong) and is just making up the numbers. He's got a good shout for Player of the Season and is already signed up for next.

Sawyer was never as good as people on here thought he was. He always ran the ball too much. If the space is out right you need to pass the ball (with zip), not run cross field. See also Atkinson, Will.

Sawyer still should be playing at a higher level than Chelmsford (no offence Adrian) though.

Sawyer was never as good as people on here thought he was. He always ran the ball too much. If the space is out right you need to pass the ball (with zip), not run cross field. See also Atkinson, Will.

Sawyer still should be playing at a higher level than Chelmsford (no offence Adrian) though.

Ah yes, the very English "don't hog the ball, you must pass" mentality. Having players who can run with the ball and take players on shouldn't be a negative.

Just wondering, did you say this about Leonard last season when he went on those bursting runs forward?

Ah yes, the very English "don't hog the ball, you must pass" mentality. Having players who can run with the ball and take players on shouldn't be a negative.

Just wondering, did you say this about Leonard last season when he went on those bursting runs forward?

One has an end product, the other one doesn't. Stats alone prove this.

No, because it's down to decision-making. Leonard's runs were forward. If the space was out wide he was very good at taking a touch and pinging the ball out wide. Sawyer would run half way across the pitch before playing the ball he should have played five, six touches earlier. By then the defence had time to shift over. It's why, for all his attributes, he wasn't going to make it at a higher level.

Running with the ball itself isn't much to rave about, it's being able to get past your man or picking a pass (although running with the ball can be useful here for a heads up player as it opens up different angles) which really opens up the game. A player who can genuinely get past his man one-on-one is a real rarity. Most of the time it's more about creating enough space (eg Freddy Eastwood in his pomp would buy himself half a yard to get an early shot away) and/or using a team-mate as a decoy (feinting to pass to a team-mate inside but carrying the ball on the outside).

Sawyer still could have been a very good player at our level, he just wasn't going to be the superstar that many on here had him pegged for. Ditto Payne.

No, because it's down to decision-making. Leonard's runs were forward. If the space was out wide he was very good at taking a touch and pinging the ball out wide. Sawyer would run half way across the pitch before playing the ball he should have played five, six touches earlier. By then the defence had time to shift over. It's why, for all his attributes, he wasn't going to make it at a higher level.

Running with the ball itself isn't much to rave about, it's being able to get past your man or picking a pass (although running with the ball can be useful here for a heads up player as it opens up different angles) which really opens up the game. A player who can genuinely get past his man one-on-one is a real rarity. Most of the time it's more about creating enough space (eg Freddy Eastwood in his pomp would buy himself half a yard to get an early shot away) and/or using a team-mate as a decoy (feinting to pass to a team-mate inside but carrying the ball on the outside).

Sawyer still could have been a very good player at our level, he just wasn't going to be the superstar that many on here had him pegged for. Ditto Payne.

Running with the ball creates space as it commits defenders. We've had teams come and sit back denying space, if we had someone who was willing to take players on then we might have done better. Whether that is down to the instructions set by the management (possibly) or down to players is another matter.

It is all down to the situation. It is easy to say there is space out wide so hit it there, but that doesn't mean there is something not happening down the middle.

The bit in bold I can't agree with. IMO Every pro player should be able to know how to beat a man one-on-one, but to be able to did it consistantly and be successful nearly everytime takes skill.

Running with the ball creates space as it commits defenders. We've had teams come and sit back denying space, if we had someone who was willing to take players on then we might have done better. Whether that is down to the instructions set by the management (possibly) or down to players is another matter.

It is all down to the situation. It is easy to say there is space out wide so hit it there, but that doesn't mean there is something not happening down the middle.

The bit in bold I can't agree with. IMO Every pro player should be able to know how to beat a man one-on-one, but to be able to did it consistantly and be successful nearly everytime takes skill.

Exactly it's down to the situation and the ability to read the situation.

As for the bit in bold it is of course the ability to do it regularly. Whilst every pro player should know how to beat a man, every pro player should also know how to defend a player one on one.

Not many players worldwide are able to take the man on and beat them,league 2 in particular allows mili second on the ball before the rampaging defender sends man and ball into the stands.

The ball moves quicker than the player so pass and move is the order of the day unless the player is a Bale/Ronaldo/Messi.

Not many players worldwide are able to take the man on and beat them,league 2 in particular allows mili second on the ball before the rampaging defender sends man and ball into the stands.

The ball moves quicker than the player so pass and move is the order of the day unless the player is a Bale/Ronaldo/Messi.

Millisecond? The Germans aimed to keep the ball for a maximum of 2 seconds before passing to keep possession so are you seriously suggesting that league 2 is about 2000 times quicker than the elite level?

As for "pass and move" being this amazing thing, yes it is good but if you haven't got players who can take on players in a 1v1 situation then you'll struggle to break down teams who sit back. Prime example was Bayern vs Leverkusen in the cup recently, they had 70% possession yet had half the shots of the other team.

Millisecond? The Germans aimed to keep the ball for a maximum of 2 seconds before passing to keep possession so are you seriously suggesting that league 2 is about 2000 times quicker than the elite level?

As for "pass and move" being this amazing thing, yes it is good but if you haven't got players who can take on players in a 1v1 situation then you'll struggle to break down teams who sit back. Prime example was Bayern vs Leverkusen in the cup recently, they had 70% possession yet had half the shots of the other team.

The higher standard allows more time on the ball simply because the better players read the game better and quicker thus they move into space far more easily to receive the ball and already know the pass or play they intend.

League 2 is no nonsense 90mph stuff which rarely allows any skilful player the time required to show his skill.

The higher standard allows more time on the ball simply because the better players read the game better and quicker thus they move into space far more easily to receive the ball and already know the pass or play they intend.

League 2 is no nonsense 90mph stuff which rarely allows any skilful player the time required to show his skill.

I literally have no idea where to start with this, but I'll try for some reason.

You are saying defenders at the higher level will give players more time on the ball because they are better and quicker, yet if the defenders are better at reading the game then they will be able to anticipate the attacker and close the space off.

League 2 is not 90mph, no football game ever is. Watch the highlights and you'll see players have loads of time on the ball, if they didn't then why would we play a slow passing game at home if they have milliseconds on the ball?

I literally have no idea where to start with this, but I'll try for some reason.

You are saying defenders at the higher level will give players more time on the ball because they are better and quicker, yet if the defenders are better at reading the game then they will be able to anticipate the attacker and close the space off.

League 2 is not 90mph, no football game ever is. Watch the highlights and you'll see players have loads of time on the ball, if they didn't then why would we play a slow passing game at home if they have milliseconds on the ball?

You began with players taking on their man,yes correct?,so let's go through it slowly...I never mentioned defenders did I ?,I was answering your question regarding taking on and beating a player..Top midfielders and forwards will have more time mainly because of their faster speed of thought,they will also have more speed,better balance and far more technical ability than lower league players.

The very top guys make it look easy ,yeah their skill pace and supreme balance helps but their speed of thought is their main weapon.

Start by suggesting she/he attends some League 2 matches.

You began with players taking on their man,yes correct?,so let's go through it slowly...I never mentioned defenders did I ?,I was answering your question regarding taking on and beating a player..Top midfielders and forwards will have more time mainly because of their faster speed of thought,they will also have more speed,better balance and far more technical ability than lower league players.

The very top guys make it look easy ,yeah their skill pace and supreme balance helps but their speed of thought is their main weapon.

Just because you don't mention defenders doesn't mean they don't exist.

Their speed of thought will be very quick at the top level, but that doesn't mean they have more time on the ball it just means they can move the ball quicker. That then goes back to my earlier point, if those at the top level are quicker physically & mentally as well as technically superior then they will have less time on the ball as the game is quicker.

Just because you don't mention defenders doesn't mean they don't exist.

Their speed of thought will be very quick at the top level, but that doesn't mean they have more time on the ball it just means they can move the ball quicker. That then goes back to my earlier point, if those at the top level are quicker physically & mentally as well as technically superior then they will have less time on the ball as the game is quicker.

The top guys most of the time will receive the ball in space because of their movement off the ball !

Look when the top players receive the ball they virtually every time will be facing goal which gives them their picture of play,they can either take the man on or give and go.League 2 is all hustle and bustle hence why most games are dull and tedious because in the attacking third the forwards are muscled out of it likewise the attacking mid..When any player at our level can actually beat their man on a regular basis they will be snapped up by a bigger club.

It's also because they are usually able to control the ball better, meaning they have the ball under control quicker, thus giving them more time on the ball.

Personally I always thought Cantona was the best at this. He often had the ball under control before he had even touched it purely by how he positioned his body.

Back