• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Dan Harding Released from Ipswich

They wont get their finances sorted without a takeover though, so I wouldn't expect any big wage signings from them, nor us really. Wouldn't think we would be able to offer more than 2,500 a week, and that's taking into consideration no transfer fee.

Harding's already been a Leeds player (where he went to after Brighton).
99.9% certain he wouldn't go back there.

Beefy was referring to Sodje who was playing for Leeds in the last month or two of the season & the Play Offs.

They wont get their finances sorted without a takeover though, so I wouldn't expect any big wage signings from them, nor us really. Wouldn't think we would be able to offer more than 2,500 a week, and that's taking into consideration no transfer fee.

And there's the advantage of taking on out-of-contract players. We can offer DH a deal where he's paid a salary within the wage structure, with a signing-on bonus of whatever we think his transfer fee would have been.

With the added cash going to the player rather than his club, we're now looking at a decent deal.

And there's the advantage of taking on out-of-contract players. We can offer DH a deal where he's paid a salary within the wage structure, with a signing-on bonus of whatever we think his transfer fee would have been.

With the added cash going to the player rather than his club, we're now looking at a decent deal.

Indeed, we need to compare him to viable alternatives. Say we can get in a decent new left back for £60k and offer him 1k a week. On a 3 year deal that's £216k spent. I would argue that we aren't going to get a better left back than Dan Harding, so a three year deal of 1.5k a week = £234k, I would then try throwing in a sweetner of £20k signing on fee for him to either move down to the area, or just to convince him to come!

He's well worth a decent wage and we won't get anyone better

Interesting Pubey, I don't think 1,5k a week is tempting at all for a player of Hardings standards, more the 2.5/3k area for his ability at a minimum.

Interesting Pubey, I don't think 1,5k a week is tempting at all for a player of Hardings standards, more the 2.5/3k area for his ability at a minimum.

in the end it has to fit into our structure, and no way would he become our top earner with anything over 2k. I appreciate he's on a good wage at the moment, but it's likely he'll have to take a pay cut wherever he goes

Hopefully that's the case. I would have thought 2k wouldn't be our top earner mind, otherwise T&B have done a masterful job assembling the current squad.

Hopefully that's the case. I would have thought 2k wouldn't be our top earner mind, otherwise T&B have done a masterful job assembling the current squad.

I'm guessing here but I reckon Freedman and Clarke are on about 2k and Barrett maybe a fraction more

League One - 2006 52wks (year) 9mths (season)
Age 19-20 £18,950 £364.42 £512.16
Age 21-22 £52,000 £1,000.00 £1,405.41
Age 23-24 £61,650 £1,185.58 £1,666.22
Age 25-26 £67,600 £1,300.00 £1,827.03
Age 27-28 £71,750 £1,379.81 £1,939.19
Age 29-30 £69,300 £1,332.69 £1,872.97
Age 31-32 £87,000 £1,673.08 £2,351.35
Age 33+ £72,000 £1,384.62 £1,945.95
Average - £67,850 £1,304.81 £1,833.78

I dug up these figures from a study that the Independent did back in 2006. We can assume that salaries have increased a little since then, but it should give a rough idea of the sort of money a L1 player is on.

Back in 2006 L1 Forest and possibly Swansea were the only teams who would have been paying much more than the average so I think it's still a good guide.

For what its worth, I was given to understand that when Goater was brought in, the approach was to pay 1st team regulars all more or less the same as salaries, with variances being applied through individual bonuses (signing-on, clean sheets, goal-scoring, captaincy(?) etc.). Thus Flahavan, Freddy, Goater, Maher etc (maybe even Che Wilson and Juppy). were all paid around the £2k/week mark (c £75k if that's per week of the season, £100k if its over a year) but with Maher, Freddy and Goater seeing quite a bit more than that in reality.

It's also worth bearing in mind that the 2006 study also found quite a difference in earnings dependant on position; strikers earning quite a lot more than goalies and defenders.

Last edited:
in the end it has to fit into our structure, and no way would he become our top earner with anything over 2k. I appreciate he's on a good wage at the moment, but it's likely he'll have to take a pay cut wherever he goes

Why wouldn't he become top earner? According to Brush his the best left back in this division.

Indeed, we need to compare him to viable alternatives. Say we can get in a decent new left back for £60k and offer him 1k a week. On a 3 year deal that's £216k spent. I would argue that we aren't going to get a better left back than Dan Harding, so a three year deal of 1.5k a week = £234k, I would then try throwing in a sweetner of £20k signing on fee for him to either move down to the area, or just to convince him to come!

He's well worth a decent wage and we won't get anyone better

With a 3 year deal of £1.5 K a week I think you'd have to add a zero to your sweetener to get Harding to even look at it, let alone think about it.

I 100% want him, he is class, and we kn ow he will fit in. BUT I can see that the management only have so much to spend and may see CB as more of an issue.
What would happen if by some miracvel we kept Dorian and Clarke and also signed Harding (OK I am dreaming)

I 100% want him, he is class, and we kn ow he will fit in. BUT I can see that the management only have so much to spend and may see CB as more of an issue.
What would happen if by some miracvel we kept Dorian and Clarke and also signed Harding (OK I am dreaming)

Suppose it all comes down to where they see Barrett playing for us. Clarkey is likely to be gone, as is Dervite so the you'd have thought Barrett would move in field to become centre half. If thats the case, we need a left back as much as a centre back, but if they decide to keep Barrett left back, then we need to spend the money on centre halves.

Have we signed this motherf***** yet? This is getting ridiculous. Pull your goddamn finger out Ron.

Last edited:
I believe that he may move to another Championship team. Looks like we will need to move fast.

Back