• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Johnstone made 19 appearances on loan for championship club Doncaster last season so it's not much of a surprise he's ahead of Bentley in the pecking order.

Johnstone was also hugely impressive for Doncaster last season. All three 'keepers are rightly ahead of Bentley.

Anything that keeps him off the radar has to be a good thing for us.

Johnstone was also hugely impressive for Doncaster last season. All three 'keepers are rightly ahead of Bentley.

Yeah I agree. Bentley has a little work to do yet before he gets in. Especially with this being the two legged qualifier...perhaps more of a chance in a friendly?

Sadly, I think it might be best for Bentley's development that he moves on at the end of the season. We might have a chance of keeping him if we gain promotion as it will help test him at a higher level, but will be difficult to turn down a decent offer from a Championship club if they want him to be their main goalkeeper.

Bond is terrible, really dont know why they are picking him (especially when he played for Wales at youth).

Bentley is twice the keeper Bond is, at least!!

Yet, no doubt, had he gone soemwhere (even Peterborough) in the transfer window he would probably be in the squad ahead of Bond and Johnstone.

I doubt it. Bond's a bit of a favourite of Southgate's and England had to wrestle him away from the Welsh youth sides, while Johnstone's a supremely talented 'keeper with considerable more pedigree than Bentley and vastly more experience on the international stage.

Butland hasn't touched a ball this season.

I think he's played in the cup.

If 'players' are being picked who aren't actually playing, then that should be questioned. Ideally they'd be picking Butland as part of a long term strategy for the development of the national game, but it's much more likely that he's being picked on reputation alone. A little bit like how in international cricket where players continue to be picked even if their form drops for a while, because they are part of a long term strategy or plan about how the team will be constructed.

Butland is a good 'keeper and in terms of talent he probably is in the top 3 u21 English 'keepers. However he's not being picked on merit, but reputation. Send a message to clubs, players and fans - that the teams will be picked based on merit and current form, or at least clearly justify why players who aren't playing any football are being picked at national level.

Its different at U21 where a lot of players wont have broken into their 1st team squads, especially, Goalkeepers

I dont see why you wouldnt take a player just because he hasnt been playing first team football and take a lesser player just because he has.

Its different at U21 where a lot of players wont have broken into their 1st team squads, especially, Goalkeepers

I dont see why you wouldnt take a player just because he hasnt been playing first team football and take a lesser player just because he has.

How do you know who is the better keeper? Butland may well be better than say Bentley, but if Bentley isn't in the squad then you can't take a close look at them.

You can't look at Bentley's excellent performances for use and compare to Butland's because Butland is barely playing. Having a look during 1 game is far too small a sample to judge a player upon.

Give someone like Bentley a call-up just so that he spends 10 days in and around the squad and can be judged. They know broadly what Butland can do but won't be any where near his top ability if he isn't currently playing.

I do appreciate though that it's not realistic for all u21s to have broken through into top teams, but there are excellent prospects playing at levels below the PL and they don't appear to be getting a close look. If an u21 keeper is playing week in week out for their club at any level (Pl or L2) then that's a very impressive achievement and worthy of close consideration (not saying that Bentley wasn't closely considered).

How do you know who is the better keeper? Butland may well be better than say Bentley, but if Bentley isn't in the squad then you can take a close look at them.

You can't look at Bentley's excellent performances for use and compare to Butland's because Butland is barely playing. Having a look during 1 game is far too small a sample to judge a player upon.

Give someone like Bentley a call-up just so that he spends 10 days in and around the squad and can be judged. They know broadly what Butland can do but won't be any where near his top ability if he isn't currently playing.

I do appreciate though that it's not realistic for all u21s to have broken through into top teams, but there are excellent prospects playing at levels below the PL and they don't appear to be getting a close look. If an u21 keeper is playing week in week out for their club at any level (Pl or L2) then that's a very impressive achievement and worthy of close consideration (not saying that Bentley wasn't closely considered).

given that Bentley has been scouted but hasn't been picked i imagine they'd argue that they've seen all of him that they think they need to

How do you know who is the better keeper? Butland may well be better than say Bentley, but if Bentley isn't in the squad then you can't take a close look at them.

They would scout them.

I like Bentley, but just because he is playing for us and Butland isnt doesnt change anything, they will know who is the better and they would want the player they expect of having the best chance of progression getting the experience. Its not about seeing what each can do but giving them experience of the England set up, and they will no doubt feel Butland will benefit more, especially if he plays.

Its down to Bentley to prove them wrong as time goes on, I dont think he has done enough to warrant it though.

given that Bentley has been scouted but hasn't been picked i imagine they'd argue that they've seen all of him that they think they need to

I think, rather than that, the FA just use the level of the owning club as a broad way to determine the quality of different players. It's a reasonable strategy in the long run if you expect the cream to rise to the top but I think it sends out a bad message when a squad is full of players with splinters in the bums and quality young players at smaller clubs could learn a lot from getting into the national set-up.

They would scout them.

I like Bentley, but just because he is playing for us and Butland isnt doesnt change anything, they will know who is the better and they would want the player they expect of having the best chance of progression getting the experience. Its not about seeing what each can do but giving them experience of the England set up, and they will no doubt feel Butland will benefit more, especially if he plays.

Its down to Bentley to prove them wrong as time goes on, I dont think he has done enough to warrant it though.

That's my point, I don't think they do know who is better at this moment in time. Butland's reputation is excellent, but based on present form then can't get an accurate reflection of current ability/form if some players aren't playing.

From the few times I've seen him I think Butland's over-hyped. He had a shocker against us when he was on loan at Cheltenham - IIRC we beat them 4-0 in Eastwood's first match of his second spell.

Back