• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bobby dazzler

Manager
After todays performance in which we kept another clean sheet, I am left asking myself the following question.

How many points will our young keeper save us this season ?

Today we took a deserved two nil lead and then it was pretty average in my book. Some good passing and movement but as in most games , chances are created for the opposition to score.

Bentley made two impressive saves/blocks today that could have seen us drop two points and how many times/points will he save us this season ? (Yes his kicking was a bit off today)

I wouldnt say he saved us points today, yes two decent saves but one of them was right at him.

Didnt have a lot to do, what he did do he did well enough, and he looked about 20 times better than the opposing keeper!

I wouldnt say he saved us points today, yes two decent saves but one of them was right at him.

Didnt have a lot to do, what he did do he did well enough, and he looked about 20 times better than the opposing keeper!

Having once played as a keeper (way down the pyramid) I was impressed with him as although the first was hit straight at him, a keepers game is about postitioning and reaction amongst others.

First save was almost point blank but he made himself big, reacted to the direction of shot and more important than that, he smothered the shot he saved and held onto it thus not allowing a tap in.
When you consider the 'offside' goal Tuesday night and Smiths lack of handling, you will see what I mean.

Second save again is about angles and making himself big.

Lesser keepers would have conceded two goals there. (his kicking issues today are a minor issue to be ironed out)

Well in my opinion anyway

I dont look at todays game and think that we were lucky or got away with it.

He did his job thats all, we played better than they did and were rarely threatened. Its not even possible for him to have conceded both, we won by two goals, if we had conceded one then he wouldnt have had the second one to save. Plus if we conceded one we may well have upped our game who knows.

I dont look at todays game and think that we were lucky or got away with it.

He did his job thats all, we played better than they did and were rarely threatened. Its not even possible for him to have conceded both, we won by two goals, if we had conceded one then he wouldnt have had the second one to save. Plus if we conceded one we may well have upped our game who knows.

Its all ifs buts and maybes, if each striker did their job they would score and it would be a funny old game.

not sure about the analagy that if he conceded one then he wouldn't have had the second one to save (i am talking about two different saves by the way)

Bentley is pure class, two simply stunning saves today. We have a fantastic young keeper who will play at the highest level I'm certain. Enjoy it while he is here.

Its all ifs buts and maybes, if each striker did their job they would score and it would be a funny old game.

not sure about the analagy that if he conceded one then he wouldn't have had the second one to save (i am talking about two different saves by the way)

If he conceded the first goal the rest of the game from that point on would have been totally different and he wouldnt have had the second shot to deal with.

So if he conceded one we could have won 2-1 without him making any more saves. Or we could have crumbled and he may have had 5 more shots to save, or we could have upped our game and scored again.

He is a good keeper and he had little to do and what he did today he did well and played his part in the win but I wouldnt say he saved us 2 points, thats taking it a bit too far.

Brian Clough said that Peter Shilton was worty 20 points a season to Notts Forest .

If he conceded the first goal the rest of the game from that point on would have been totally different and he wouldnt have had the second shot to deal with.

So if he conceded one we could have won 2-1 without him making any more saves. Or we could have crumbled and he may have had 5 more shots to save, or we could have upped our game and scored again.

He is a good keeper and he had little to do and what he did today he did well and played his part in the win but I wouldnt say he saved us 2 points, thats taking it a bit too far.

Again its about opinions you have yours I have mine

A little light hearted debate taken askew from its intention

I was right on the angle for the second save. Whepdale had about 1/2 a goal to shoot at, with Bentley in the middle. As Bentley spread himself he covered about 70-80% of that space, including the middle part which is of course where it was hit. Great goalkeeping

Again its about opinions you have yours I have mine

A little light hearted debate taken askew from its intention

Its not an opinion, its a fact he couldn't have let in both of those two shots, its impossible. He may have conceded one or the other but couldn't concede both :smile:

Whilst I dont agree he saved us the points today he certainly played a major part in the clean sheet and I am sure he will certainly win us points in other games where there is only a single goal difference.

He's our keeper for the love of god.....if he doesn't save us points then he shouldn't be playing!!

Decent keeper, one of the best we've had. Big, confident, not afraid to come off his line, top guy as well.

He's our keeper for the love of god.....if he doesn't save us points then he shouldn't be playing!!

Hear! Hear! Absolutely right. That's what he's paid to do. We could say "How many points will Corr, Weston, Leonard, Clifford et al get for us this season......" Pointless post if you don't mind me saying so!

I think some people have missed the point of this thread. The question isn't 'will Bentley save us any points this season?' or 'is it his job to save us points this season?' but discussing just how valuable he is, and in comparison with the average league 2 keeper, who likely would have let in at least one of the two efforts from yesterday, what sort of difference will that make to our season?

For me, I wouldn't go as far as saying he saved us 2 points as the game was young and I felt we had the quality to win it, but it's clear to see Dan is an exceptional keeper for this level and if we do go up he will be one of the key reasons I'm sure.

I think some people have missed the point of this thread. The question isn't 'will Bentley save us any points this season?' or 'is it his job to save us points this season?' but discussing just how valuable he is, and in comparison with the average league 2 keeper, who likely would have let in at least one of the two efforts from yesterday, what sort of difference will that make to our season?

For me, I wouldn't go as far as saying he saved us 2 points as the game was young and I felt we had the quality to win it, but it's clear to see Dan is an exceptional keeper for this level and if we do go up he will be one of the key reasons I'm sure.

No, your wrong. The title of the post is as (look at it). No one is doubting his ability and our good fortune to have him playing for us, it's just that some people have commented that it is pointless to single out one player when it is a team game and up to them all to 'save' us points..

Back