• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Darlington defender suffers bleed on the brain during tie at Blues

Looks like the lad suffered a head injury last summer, as a rear passenger in a car accident, and it has taken him quite a while to get back. Really heartbreaking stuff, hope he makes a full and swift recovery.

While emotions are running high, I don't think people ought to get too angry about the immediate reactions of fans or the cameraman - nobody would have known how serious this was and as FBM says normal practice for a "lower" club at Roots Hall is to feign injury and go down as often as possible to disrupt the game.

But it now makes clear why their players were so angry with the cameraman and it's fully understandable - the cameraman though clearly didn't take kindly to being spoken to the way he was and reacted.

I think in the cold light of day, all concerned can be forgiven and focus ought to be on hoping for the best for the player.
I would like to ask the cameraman why he felt it would be a “scoop” to take a picture up close and personal of a player vomiting on the grass.
Sounds like the sort of person who would have a field day if passing a motorway pileup.

Now that the news is a lot more positive, just thought I'd contribute a few lines on everything.

It was Paddy's full debut for us after his brave battle back from his injuries in the car crash so it was a big day for him after replacing our main centre-back who was injured. We all thought he had been doing a great job and had high hopes for him for the rest of the season. But the main thing is now his health and recovery.

His family have been overwhelmed by the help and support from everyone, including our physio and your own background staff and the many messages of support, including many from Southend, which have been really heartening.

Anyway good luck for the rest of your Trophy adventure and play-off push. You deserved your win and our boys gave their all along with our travelling army.

Also enjoyed a couple of beers in the Blue Boar with some lively fans. It was a long journey home after late heartbreak but glad we made the trip to Southend. Now for that promotion battle....

If you read the various posts on this site you will see how shocked and concerned we all are. Good luck Paddy.

The game was very entertaining. We put out our best side available and you pushed us all the way. Your support was very impressive. The very best of good fortune for the rest of the season and I hope you win promotion.

Now that the news is a lot more positive, just thought I'd contribute a few lines on everything.

It was Paddy's full debut for us after his brave battle back from his injuries in the car crash so it was a big day for him after replacing our main centre-back who was injured. We all thought he had been doing a great job and had high hopes for him for the rest of the season. But the main thing is now his health and recovery.

His family have been overwhelmed by the help and support from everyone, including our physio and your own background staff and the many messages of support, including many from Southend, which have been really heartening.

Anyway good luck for the rest of your Trophy adventure and play-off push. You deserved your win and our boys gave their all along with our travelling army.

Also enjoyed a couple of beers in the Blue Boar with some lively fans. It was a long journey home after late heartbreak but glad we made the trip to Southend. Now for that promotion battle....
I would just like to say hope paddy comes through this ok and will soon be back home with his family & friends also thought your supporters were fantastic yesterday , behind your team all the way through the game , so good luck with your promotion battle with kings lynn & brackley for top spot and upwards to the national league & maybe see you at roots hall again next season for a league battle, good luck,

Was the car accident serious? Was he driver or passenger? Hope he makes a full recovery👍🏼

Wishing you a speedy and full recovery Paddy ,and Darlington a successful promotion push.

I would like to ask the cameraman why he felt it would be a “scoop” to take a picture up close and personal of a player vomiting on the grass.
Sounds like the sort of person who would have a field day if passing a motorway pileup.
Maybe he wasn't aware and was just taking a picture of a player off the pitch

I'm sure the photographer wasnt aware of the seriousness of his injury. But like a much lesser case, Jordan Pickford had to tell camera men to do one when they were zooming in on a clearly distrought Harry Kane at the end of the Semi Final against France.

I dont know what that guy at RH thought he might be able to sell that picture for. It would have been pennies but more importantly please have some respect!!!

Not sure why people are outraged with some of our fans or the photographer. In football more than 90% of man down for no apparent reason are fake. Some teams get signals from the bench as a momentum killer. Next time you see a keeper do it watch how quickly the oppo turn and sprint over to the bench. They Know its an 'unofficial' time out.

I certainly thought it was fake when he went down. I couldn't see him throwing up and like all those around me we were frustrated when he stayed on the edge of the pitch.

However once our guys went on and there was medical activity we realised it was more serious. By the time he was struggling around the pitch most fans actually clapped him...Despite the fact that one of their players had been a total **** to the same fans just 2 minutes before.....Whilst his own player was down and No it was not friendly banter by the way.

Any way of course all our fans wish Paddy well and hope he has options away from football. Sadly he will surely be lucky to play again.

Its Football that needs to learn not the fans. Crying Wolf will cost someone dearly one day. Those in charge need to punish those that cheat and ruin the game. Thats not SUFC and from what we see neither is it Darlington. It was good to see some real away fans. I will be looking out for their promotion challenge as the NLN is all very tight at the moment.....If we lose the play-off final I rather fancy a weekender up their next season as consolation.

Cheers pal, hope you get promoted this season and, if we don’t too, we’ll see you next season!

How did it happen?
Sounds like it could have happened earlier, rather than in that passage of play.

A friend if mine collapsed about five minutes after an incident during in a Saturday game we were playing in. Bizarrely he had a bad head injury during a car accident a couple of years before. Luckily it was nothing serious and he did play for several seasons after.

Nobody in football wants to see that sort of accident and we can only wish him a full recovery. Good luck on your promotion push, it would be good to have an away support at the Hall that makes a noise and travels in numbers. Your guys never shut up for the full 97 minutes so credit to them. If we meet in the league next season it will be an interesting noise battle as, when the West stand is open, our own noise machine is there on full blast.

Back