• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

sufcintheprem

This is a modified caption
I'm fairly amazed that this has barely been mentioned by anyone on here after the game. In fact, I also think that's fairly fortunate for the ref who had as bad a first half as us with precious little support from his linesmen. Even second half, one incident where the most blatant QPR throw-in in our half was awarded to us showed how poor they were.

Anyway, the level of consistency shown by the referee was absolutely shocking on several occasions. I actually thought we might have a clued up ref after he spotted Blackstock's diving excellently and wasn't afraid to book him for it.

However, there were two things that really annoyed me. First, in terms of importance, jumping with the keeper. I really hate how tight this law has become but if it's consistent I don't mind. I don't mind challenges such as the one that resulted in the goal as I don't think Jones deliberately jumped in to Flahavan or tried to injure him. Undoubtedly, however, he caught him very heavily but nothng was given. Second half, Freddy stands by the keeper and jumps with him doing very little wrong and the whistle can't come quickly enough. Much less danger to the player than with Jones' and with relative sizes of player involved, much less likely to impede the keeper.

Second was th way in which Guttridge got booked. QPR had countless late tackles and yet the one that Gurttridge gets booked for was no worse than most of theirs. Possibly more bizarre was how many worse tackles put in by red shirts that went unpunished. Don't know how Ainsworth went unpunished for about ten late challenges.

I'm not suggesting that we deserved a draw from the game but if we had lost a tight game one nil to that second goal, I imagine there would be some sort of uproar.

The ref was a useless little c*nt. End of story. Just as useless was the liseman to our left. He'd wait until the ref had signalled to give anything be it a throw in or free-kick. Would have much preferred a swap with Col Ewe and get Mr Poll in charge.

I'd completely forgotten about him until this post. Cheers.

wink.gif

The ref was poor. You'd think there would be an improvement as you go up the leagues but he seemed no better than those we used to get in League 2.

I can deal with occaisional bad decisions, but the inconsistency of a lot of refs these days is infuriating.

Don't think it was a foul on Darryl, but what annoys me is that the ref then blows up for a foul on their keeper second half for something completely innocous.

However get use to it. One of the things that I remember from last time is that you don't get many decisions in your favour away from home in this division if you are a club of Southend's size.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Aug. 14 2006,19:18)]One of the things that I remember from last time is that you don't get many decisions in your favour away from home in this division if you are a club of Southend's size.
Col Ewe will be completely shafted then!
biggrin.gif

The inconsistency between the Flavs incident and the Freddy incident IMO was simply down to the fact that the Freddy incident came from set play, a corner. Its inexcusable but the Ref tends to have his whistle in his mouth and is looking for physical contact (especially on keepers) from set pieces whereas its harder from open play. I repeat, inexcusable but likely to be the reason.
As for the Ref/Linesman relationship it was farcical. A blue behind me commented that there was simply no point having Linesman in that game because the Ref overalled, and the majority of the time quite correctly so, a hat full of decisions they made.

Back