• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Dartford v Southend United, Saturday 31 July @ 15:00

Enjoyed the game, match was quite even while our youngsters were on. Walsh and Ferguson both looked lively, probably best I've seen Ferguson play to be honest. Walsh is frustrating though, looks lazy at times.

Wasn't too impressed with the triallist at CB, Sayers and Mitchell-Nelson had their work cut out trying to back him up.

Rush and Dalby were industrious. Egbri his usual terrier self. Seaden worries me, his gloves don't seem to stick with the ball at him too much....if Arnold is not going to be ready, then I think we need someone else....wonder if Ted might be worth a shout on a short term deal?!

Good goal from O'Shane Stewart, who I thought had a good game. Soft penalty against us to get the equaliser - can someone please explain how the player who was challenged and received treatment, was allowed to stay on the pitch and take the penalty?

Under the cosh start of the 2nd half, they started better than we did and deservedly went ahead, but then came the substitutions. No doubting that the introduction of Ricky Holmes was the catalyst to make us start ticking - he's a must sign as far as I am concerned.

With Dunn and Murphy soon added in too, we started to push much harder and force mistakes, such as the OG which led to our equaliser.

An enjoyable afternoon, at a great little ground. The Dartford crossing was kind going home too, and the A13 closure was only an "up and over" at Stanford.
I think the 'trialist' you're referring to is Tommy Davis from the U23s

I think the 'trialist' you're referring to is Tommy Davis from the U23s

Was it? Tall, blond lad? I thought he'd been listed as being a trialist on the team announcement by the Club? Oh well, he's one that needs some more work then. Ridiculous challenge he gave away grabbing their bloke round the neck, like a WWE throw in the 1st half!

That's the one. He was listed on the team sheet on Twitter next to MMN. I'm pretty sure he's just moved from the 18s to 23s so definitely needs some improvement. Nothing a loan spell to Harlow can't sort out.

Which makes it harder for scouts as well ?
We wish!
Trust me, the scouting set-up for most EFL clubs is so deep, they can give you chapter and verse on ANYONE.
For laughs, I once tested a QPR scout about our 2015 play-off squad.
He rattled off history, weaknesses and strengths on the random selection I gave him without hesitation.
The interesting thing was that apart from Dan the Man, there was no one that interested Rangers!
It is a very thorough process these days, and remember, they can always tap someone after the game.

Why are the players not wearing numbers for the pre season friendlies? Are we so skint we cannot afford these or is it because the shop has closed and we don’t have the facilities to do these or something?

Looks cheap and so un-professional not to have numbered shirts and makes it difficult to identify the players too ?
sunday league now !

In all fairness to PB, he is giving Seaden a chance.
After four senior appearances it's difficult to know, maybe, but can one compare with say, Bentley and Royce at the same age?

In all fairness to PB, he is giving Seaden a chance.
After four senior appearances it's difficult to know, maybe, but can one compare with say, Bentley and Royce at the same age?
The joke penalty yesterday showed he lack nothing coming of his line or in the bravery department. And he made one or two decent saves. He is definitely good enough to be number two to Arnold. I think PBs though is how hard will he push him? And how will he develop if he is getting no games? Is it better to bring another experience number two and let Season get regular games a level down?

Isn't this a common thing? I could be wrong but I think Bielsa of Leeds complained about us not having shirt numbers and that was in the Powell era.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was because we didn’t want to have to use extra shirts. We can then just print up these with names and numbers when they’re decided for the league season.

Every little helps.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was because we didn’t want to have to use extra shirts. We can then just print up these with names and numbers when they’re decided for the league season.

Every little helps.
They could chalk them on!

Wrong! Seaden is not ready !!
Agreed I don’t think he is ready just yet, needs at least another half a season behind him yet, thing that worries me at the moment is we still don’t know who will be starting the season with no real shape to our starting 11 yet, to many players coming and going and these injured and missing players ain’t doing us any good either.

Steve don't go the way of last season.
An opinion isn't wrong , it's just a different opinion to yours.
Stop now please or risk getting a load of flak ( if you're winding up then of course that's what you want).
Let's not have the same, boring thing as last season.
It really is tedious.
Absolutely - everything from last season needs to change, we have a new manager, new CEO and new signings, let's also stop singling out players for constant criticism and support our club to give the best possible opportunity to make this season a better one.

Absolutely - everything from last season needs to change, we have a new manager, new CEO and new signings, let's also stop singling out players for constant criticism and support our club to give the best possible opportunity to make this season a better one.
Whilst your right, Steve is too. Right now Seaden isn't ready to be first choice keeper at a club looking to go for promotion back to the football league at the first attempt, I don't think thats a controversial thing to say nor is it singling him out

Whilst your right, Steve is too. Right now Seaden isn't ready to be first choice keeper at a club looking to go for promotion back to the football league at the first attempt, I don't think thats a controversial thing to say nor is it singling him out

Nobody has suggested that Seaden should be first choice - Steve replied "Wrong! Seaden is not ready !!"' ' to a post saying "he is definitely good enough to be number two to Arnold".

Last edited:
I would suggest that he should go out on loan to Conference South or Ryman Premier League to get 40 plus games and be their stand out player.

It's worrying just how many players we have missing for various reasons - a good pre-season is key and as we have found out in recent years, lacking fitness going into a season will be punished.

Arnold, Coulson, Holmes, Akinola, ANG (though I expect him to leave before August 21), Bridge, Murphy, Ralph, all have missed a chunk of pre-season and it's a big concern.

Quite a few first teamers absent on Saturday, presume the likes of White, Hobson, Demetriou, Ogogo and Clifford will be starting on Wednesday.

It's worrying just how many players we have missing for various reasons - a good pre-season is key and as we have found out in recent years, lacking fitness going into a season will be punished.

Arnold, Coulson, Holmes, Akinola, ANG (though I expect him to leave before August 21), Bridge, Murphy, Ralph, all have missed a chunk of pre-season and it's a big concern.
Agree- but we started earlier, probably with PB our focus on fitness is greater, and the positive slant is with three weeks to go we are getting or have got most of those players back. Currently I think only Coulson and ANG of those are injured/out. Really Coulson if ANG is going- but that does probably highlight we need one more CB.

Back