• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

dannypav

President
As Mooney nears fitness after a long injury , just a few pro-comments before the expected "not good enough" brigade kick in.
Yes , with the strikers we have all looking sharp and all bringing something a bit different , it will be very difficult for Mooney to find a way back and I expect that his contract will not be renewed.
I also agree that since he got injured our fortunes have largel changed for the better.
However , what I will say is that for the most part he played as a lone striker in a team that was finding its way and lacked confidence.
Would he fair better in today's team ?
My guess is that yes he would , but we will never find out.
So yes , bash away if you feel it necessary , but also cut the guy a bit of slack.
He is a decent pro who does his best.
Difnt really work out for him with us , but I wish him all the best fr the future.

As Mooney nears fitness after a long injury , just a few pro-comments before the expected "not good enough" brigade kick in.
Yes , with the strikers we have all looking sharp and all bringing something a bit different , it will be very difficult for Mooney to find a way back and I expect that his contract will not be renewed.
I also agree that since he got injured our fortunes have largel changed for the better.
However , what I will say is that for the most part he played as a lone striker in a team that was finding its way and lacked confidence.
Would he fair better in today's team ?
My guess is that yes he would , but we will never find out.
So yes , bash away if you feel it necessary , but also cut the guy a bit of slack.
He is a decent pro who does his best.
Difnt really work out for him with us , but I wish him all the best fr the future.
Yeah, I feel sorry for Mooney - he was no worse than a lot of our squad at a time when things weren't going well for us. I have no doubt we'd see a much improved player in Mooney if he was playing as part of a front 2 alongside Cox, Fortune or Ranger in our current set-up, but I can't see it happening.

Spot on 'danny'.

He needs to be stronger, as his hold up play isn't a good part of his game, but his movement isn't too bad and many of his goals were getting on the end of balls played in early or through balls, again released early.

I think we now have that in our game, whereas before we didn't and he was often offside, as a result.

I would of thought he will be getting released at the end of season if not sooner so he can fix himself up with another club, orient could certainly do with him and may keep them up, think he would jump at the chance to go back to the club also:smile:

Spot on 'danny'.

He needs to be stronger, as his hold up play isn't a good part of his game, but his movement isn't too bad and many of his goals were getting on the end of balls played in early or through balls, again released early.

I think we now have that in our game, whereas before we didn't and he was often offside, as a result.

Yep , as you allude to Andy , IMO this was due to a slow pass rather than him not understanding the offside law.

Before the injury he had been performing much better. He had stepped up his work rate, tracking back, kept making the runs into space, kept on his feet more.
The role PB required of him did not come, I suggest, naturally, to David; AND he was subbed early on two occasions after just 30 minutes, which must have been hard to take, but he did get the message.
As Danny states the team wasn't set up for his "poaching" style of play.
I am sure he will get a new contract with a new club next season and I wish him well.

Yep , as you allude to Andy , IMO this was due to a slow pass rather than him not understanding the offside law.

Good examples of the ball being played early were the 3rd goal against Burton Albion last season and the 1st goal against Brighton U23's this season. Also Col Ewe away last season.

All three times, he finished well.

He would fare better in a good side. Look at how he did with Orient in their play-off season.

I think he's best at playing a similar role to Cox. Both like to come deep and play between the lines. Mooney wasn't suited to the roles we gave him but doesn't always help himself as he appears to drag his feet rather than putting a shift in.
Decent player if used right

This is not completely a bash at Mooney ...... but we saw Fortune stay on his feet under pressure against Peterborough and then score. Too often I have seen Mooney go down under less pressure and claim for a foul rather than take a chance of scoring. I don't like that in any player I'm afraid.

Yep, I agree on that.

Definitely needs to show more strength in possession, to push for a place ahead of others at the club.

Good examples of the ball being played early were the 3rd goal against Burton Albion last season and the 1st goal against Brighton U23's this season. Also Col Ewe away last season.

All three times, he finished well.
Yes! And he netted a second with an equally brilliant finish at Colchester ,only trouble was Payne,fatally and typically,delayed the pass fractionally when they broke clear 2 on 1.

It will be interesting to see which of our forward players we keep at the end of the season. We haven't had a chance to see what Nouble is like as I think he was just brought in as cover in case Ranger's suspension was extended. Ranger, Cox and Fortune are in contract but we may lose Ranger for a prolonged period if he receives a prison sentence when his case comes up again in April. I agree with other posters that Mooney could be a suitable player to cover for Cox in our current set-up but, while Cox is fit and in form, that would restrict Mooney to the role of a squad player on the subs' bench for most of the time and, if I was Mooney, I don't think I'd be happy with that in the long term as he would surely find himself in the starting line-up at a number of League Two clubs and possibly one or two in League One. I don't see Hines or Williams being part of our squad next season.

I'd certainly like to see a fit Mooney brought on as a sub for Cox for the last 15 or 20 minutes if we are 2+ goals ahead playing with Ranger or Fortune, just to see how he does working with genuine 'target man' players.

Try to learn ,and gain some insight into the way attacks are mounted - (re)read texts 4,6,8 and 13 on this thread.

I think he will benefit from having better players around him and a different system yes, but at the end of the day Mooney lacks pace, he stays on the last defender to try and gain an extra yard and so alot of the time he makes the run to soon. At the end of the day you could have xavi or Scholes passing the ball through if you cant time your runs against a organized defence nd your positional play isn't decent then that flag will be raised like it has time and time again. But thanks for pointing me in the right direction even if it comes across slightly condescending

Back