• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yes Layne is an unknown quantity and unless given a run as a striker will remain an unknown quantity as will Shaq as a striker unless given a run as a striker and not a LW,I believe PB to be a decent manager, but he seems afraid to give the young lads a go,happy to stay with the tried and past it strikers.

Weston is listed on the club website as a midfielder. The strikers listed are Barney, Corr, Coulthirst and Layne. I do agree Weston can play upfront, so could Mohsni.
Lets compare then the current top 7 league leaders and who they list as genuine strikers.

1. Burton squad 27 strikers 6!
2 Cheltenham squad 23 strikers 3
3 .Morecambe squad 23 strikers 4
4 Shrewsbury squad 23 strikers 5
5, Wycombe squad 26 strikers 6
6. Bury squad 21 strikers 4
7, Portsmouth squad 27 strikers 7

Add in Stevenage and Wimbledon also with more strikers options than us.

Now add in the leading goalscorers from those clubs?
Arthur 3 for Cheltenham, Ellison 4 and Mullin 3 for Morecambe, Collins 3, Manneon 2 Clarke 2 for Shrewsbury, Murphy 3 and Hayes 2 for Wycombe, Rose 4 for Bury. Apart from Burton all the top clubs have a leading goalscorer with 3 or 4 goals. Only 3 clubs in the past 4 years gained promotion with a goalscorer scoring between 11 and 13 goals. Still I remain optimistic it will all come good

Yes Layne is an unknown quantity and unless given a run as a striker will remain an unknown quantity as will Shaq as a striker unless given a run as a striker and not a LW,I believe PB to be a decent manager, but he seems afraid to give the young lads a go,happy to stay with the tried and past it strikers.[

This the same manager who based our defence last season on 3 kids?

Are you saying that you genuinely don't get Jams point, the fact that Brown has proven that he is happy to play youngsters when they are the best man for the job--- or are you simply trying to score points

So..........................unless I have missed something, then nobody out and nobody in. Probably more good than bad, but what now, a dip into the loan window when it opens for a central forward, or go with what we have and hope the goals start coming?

I see they are building a replica of a barn door at the training ground..... so maybe we are going on with what we've got in the striker department....

JAM Man I DID SAY STRIKERS NOT DEFENDERS , PLEASE READ CAREFULLY ,THERES A GOOD FELLA.

Less of the caps.

So Phil Brown is afraid to play young strikers, yet is ok with entrusting the heart of defence, a vital part of the team to kids? I wont bother pointing out we played Woodrow, Loza or Murphy last year, or Shaq this year

OR WOULD IT MAKE IT EASIER IF I POSTED IT IN CAPS? :smile:

Also said that we tried to bring in players on a six month loan deal, but they opted against coming to Southend. Maybe they wanted guaranteed playing time .... :whistling:

Also said that we tried to bring in players on a six month loan deal, but they opted against coming to Southend. Maybe they wanted guaranteed playing time .... :whistling:

You're asking for trouble.............

I promised to cease from my futile observations until at least after the Oxford game:smile:

Back