• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Death penalty - for or against

Bring back the death Penalty

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

steveo

mine to stay the same please
Would you vote to bring back the death penalty?

A person is convicted by jury and a panel of say 3 judges decide if the Death Penalty is appropriate, so the decision doesnt have to be made by just one man.

I'm still undecided about the death penalty.

All the evidence must be genuine, revealed to all, so that the jury can make a proper decision. If that is completed, then yeah, if the person in question done something major, then give him/her what they deserve.

I can't see it being brought back over here though. Especially with the ho-ha over the Barry George and Jill Dando scenario.

Yes as an ultimate deterant. However, there would need to be a sufficiently robust appeal process to avoid the likes of the Barry George type cases.

i would but obviously the evidence would have to be certain that the person convicted was correct.

Kenny Richey, Colin Stagg, Timothy Evans, Derek Bentley, Stephen Downing, John Joseph Boyle, Judith Ward, The Birmingham Six, The Guildford Four, The Maguire Seven ,Stefan Kiszko, Steven Miller, Yusef Abdullahi, Tony Paris, Peter Fell, Sally Clark, Donna Anthony, The Gurnos Three, Michelle and Lisa Taylor, Paul Blackburn, Michael O'Brien, Darren Hall and Ellis Sherwood, Andrew Adams, David Carrington-Jones and Barry George.

All convicted of murder, all later found to be the victims of miscarriages of justice.

Most murders are not commited in cold blood and are commited without thought of consequences, it is not a detterent for murder.

Unless, as mentioned elsewhere,it was something far beyound and so 100% provable , then no it cannot return for teh judical system, it is not a deterant as history show's.

"An eye for an eye" is my personal opinion, but as has been stated, there must be no question that the person in question is guilty.

"An eye for an eye" is my personal opinion, but as has been stated, there must be no question that the person in question is guilty.

I can't see how you can have a rule of law that is based on a book written over 2000 years ago where we still lived in mud huts.

Last edited:
I hear what you're saying, but any of these in my opinion would have made the world a better place if they had been put to death (I know some of them were, but not time to go through and check them all!) - these are all convicted serial killers in the UK, no shadow of a doubt:

Beverley Allitt - aka Angel of Death; paediatric nurse who killed four babies in her care and injured at least nine others, convicted in 1991
Levi Bellfield - aka The Bus Stalker Killer, murdered two female students, attempted to kill a third, and is suspected of up to 20 more attacks and murders. Is the prime suspect in the murder of schoolgirl Milly Dowler
Robert Black - Scottish schoolgirl killer; convicted of three murders, suspected of many more
Ian Brady and Myra Hindley - aka Moors Murderers - murdered five children, aged between 10 and 17 years old, and buried them on Saddleworth Moor.
Leslie Bailey - killed at least three young boys in and around London in the 1980s
William Burke and William Hare - notorious body snatchers in Edinburgh in the 19th century.
George Chapman - poisoned three women, suspected by some authors of being Jack the Ripper
John Childs - murdered six individuals; jailed 1980
Robert George Clements - doctor who murdered one wife but committed suicide before being arrested; three previous wives died in suspicious circumstances
John Christie - aka The Necrophile[citation needed] who killed seven women (including his wife) and disputably one infant between 1943 and 1953 and hid them in his house and garden at 10 Rillington Place
Mary Ann Cotton - British Victorian killer, said to have taken more than 20 victims
Thomas Neill Cream - aka Lambeth Poisoner, began his killing spree in the United States then moved to London. Hanged 1892
Amelia Dyer - murdered infants in her care; executed in 1896
Kenneth Erskine - aka Stockwell Strangler; jailed in 1988 for murdering seven pensioners
Steven Grieveson - aka The Sunderland Strangler, murdered three teenage boys in Sunderland, Tyne & Wear in 1993 and 1994
John George Haigh - aka the Acid Bath Murderer and the Vampire of London. Active in England during the 1940s. Was convicted of six murders, but claimed to have killed 9. Executed in 1949
Anthony Hardy - aka the Camden Ripper; convicted of three murders; suspected of at least four
Trevor Hardy - aka The Beast in the Night; killed three teenage girls in Manchester from 1974 to 1976
Colin Ireland - aka Gay Slayer; killed five victims in the early 1990s
Michael Lupo - aka Wolf Man; convicted of four murders and the attempted murder of two others
Patrick Mackay - confessed to killing 11 people
Peter Manuel - Scottish murderer of seven, suspected of killing 15; executed in 1958
Robert Maudsley - killer of four; killed three in prison
Peter Moore - businessman who killed men at random in Wales
Donald Neilson - aka Black Panther; killed four people including heiress Lesley Whittle
Dennis Nilsen - killer of 15 (possibly 16) men between 1978 and 1983
Colin Norris - nurse convicted of killing four patients in Leeds hospitals[1]
William Palmer - aka The Rugeley Poisoner
Mark Rowntree - 19 year old who killed four people at random
Amelia Sach and Annie Walters - murdered an unknown number of babies put up for adoption
Harold Shipman - doctor convicted of 15 murders; a later inquiry stated he had killed at least 215 and possibly up to 457 people over a 25 year period
George Joseph Smith - aka The Brides in the Bath killer
John Straffen - child-killer and Britain's longest serving prisoner until his death on 19th November 2007
Peter Sutcliffe - aka the Yorkshire Ripper; convicted in 1981 of the murders of 13 women and the attacks on seven more from 1975 to 1980
Fred West and Rosemary West - aka House of Horrors murderers in Gloucester. She was convicted of 10 murders and are both believed to have tortured and murdered at least 12 young women between 1967 and 1987, many at the couple's home in Gloucester, England. He committed suicide in 1995 while awaiting trial
Steve Wright - aka The Suffolk Strangler; killed 5 women in six weeks around Ipswich in late 2006
Graham Frederick Young - aka The Teacup Poisoner; killed three individuals from 1962 to 1971

Last edited:
The killing of just one innocent person by the state should be enough for this argument never to raise it's head ever again.

I can't see how you can have a rule of law that is based on a book written over 2000 years ago where we still lived in mud huts.

Why not? The principal of murder has not changed in 2000 years, so why does it matter when it was written? The fact of the matter is if you kill another human being, I believe it is only right for you to be put to death.

The killing of just one innocent person by the state should be enough for this argument never to raise it's head ever again.

That's certainly not a possibility in the argument I'm making though. I haven't voted because a simple yes or no doesn't do it for me, I want that all important clause "in certain exceptional cases and beyond any shadow of a doubt" before I would agree to it.

On the flip side if the Roy Whiting who killed sarah Payne had be killed after being convited of a sex crime then Sarah Payne is still alive today.

No - reason being; how many people have we wrongfully convicted, since removing the death penalty, that would have been wrongfully put to death?

Back