• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Defining Moment

londonblue

Topgun Pilot
I was wondering what everyone else thought was the moment/match that has proved to be the most important of the season so far. I know a lot of people will now say McCormack's second on Tuesday, but (as important as it was) it is only one point in the seaon where we have gained unexpected points. Others earlier in the season are just as important.

For me the it's the Boston home game when Tes went in goal and helped us defend a 2 goal lead. He let one in, but also made a couple of amazing saves that most 'keepers would have been proud of. Especially as the only training he got was at half time with Brushy!

Not only that, he played through the pain barrier to do so; he was out injured for a long time after that game. Whatever we think of Tes as a player, (and I am one of his biggest critics) that was truly a heroic performance.

Northampton away. A couple of big headers and top result

As a fan it was the West Ham game. I knew it was going to be a good season after that game. We played tremendously well. With the team it was seven seconds into the Swansea game. We finally found a striker who would score the goals to push us to the top, arise Sir Freddy.

I say Macclesfield at home. We were on a poor run, and when Bart kicked the ball to one of their players to level it summed up the start to our season. But we battled back to get a vital winner (sorry I can't remember who scored it!), which kick-started our season I reckon.

Freddy's hat-trick debut also deserves a mention, as without Freddy's goals we wouldn't be where we are now.

Three for me.
Dudfield's late winner at home to Chester. Set us up so nicely for Christmas and put us 4th.
Northampton away- big win.
And (as predicted) Macc on Tuesday.

There have been several pivotal moments; McCormacks winner, Dudfields last minute winner v Chester, Northampton away, Barts last minute penalty save at Bury...

but for me there is one single moment that convinced me that we were a decent team with character, bouncebackability and that this was going to be our season.

Fredyys penalty equaliser against Lincoln.

To go a goal down in the 88th minute to a team as big, fit and strong as Lincoln and then to go down the other end and get the equaliser showed amazing self belief.

Of course, we still haven't achieved anything yet, so this thread is probably tempting fate a bit. But if we DO go up, then that for me will be the moment that I thought "Yeah, this is our year."

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ April 21 2005,09:11)]Northampton away. A couple of big headers and top result
This one for me too.

For us poor people who couldn't make it, we had the chat room, BBC videprinter and SkySports Live table. The difference that result made, ignoring the boosted morale, was incredible. A genuine six pointer that took us from playoff contenders (defeat) to promotion contenders (win).

Behind that, I'd say Tuesday. Went from promotion contenders (draw) to promotion favourites with the win.

Definitely West Ham away. We showed we could play as a team after a very poor start. And the number of fans we took was encouraging.

Then Darlo away- despite losing, it showed us our weaknesses and Tilly immediately went out and bought a striker- one Freddy E

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ April 21 2005,09:14)]I say Macclesfield at home. We were on a poor run, and when Bart kicked the ball to one of their players to level it summed up the start to our season. But we battled back to get a vital winner (sorry I can't remember who scored it!), which kick-started our season I reckon.

Freddy's hat-trick debut also deserves a mention, as without Freddy's goals we wouldn't be where we are now.
I'd have to agree with Macc at home, Adam Barrett scored both the goals as we came back after conceding a soft equaliser.

That game was a real turning point for the season, our first league win, and showed how important Adam Barrett was going to be.

It can only be Northampton away and in particular Flahavan's point blank save from McGleish in the second half - that would have put them 2-0 up and the game would have been over which would have stopped our unbeaten run before it really got going !

Two goals in the last ten minutes or so - I would have taken a draw however that game really showed our character and resolve - something we have only lacked in two games recently.

The defining moment of the season for me was when I bought my Tes Bramble mug from the club shop.

Cheers.

Bury away was a good result, we managed to keep hold of a 1-0 lead through the heroics of Bart Griemink saving a penalty right at the death. That was just before Christmas if I remember and it just showed our spirit.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ April 21 2005,10:45)]The defining moment of the season for me was when I bought my Tes Bramble mug from the club shop.

Cheers.
mug is the right word.

laugh.gif

The extra time and pens win at Layer Road to set us on the way to another LDV final and all the lovely cash that goes with it...

See you all at Wembley next year!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ April 21 2005,09:39)]Definitely West Ham away. We showed we could play as a team after a very poor start. And the number of fans we took was encouraging.

Then Darlo away- despite losing, it showed us our weaknesses and Tilly immediately went out and bought a striker- one Freddy E
Naps - was that coincedence that you choose Drewe's last start and last appearance in a Southend shirt as the defining moments of our season!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ April 21 2005,11:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ April 21 2005,09:39)]Definitely West Ham away. We showed we could play as a team after a very poor start. And the number of fans we took was encouraging.

Naps - was that coincedence that you choose Drewe's last start and last appearance in a Southend shirt as the defining moments of our season!
Purely. Wow. Maybe on a subconscious level I hated him!

biggrin.gif

Northampton at home, how we won that game i'll never know. They were even clearing the ball off our goal line for us.

And away to Northampton when the ball deflected onto McGleish's shin pad and trickled just wide. Any other year that would have gone in.

aaah, Northampton away, famous for the Barry Harris magic moment -

BH - 'we're gonna win this' - Barrett equalises
BH - 'we're REALLY gonna win this' - Barrett scores winner
BH - ' TOLD YOU!!!!!! OOOO LISTEN!!!! '

Back