• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cockle43

Manager⭐
(Was) Back home on the North Bank now back in W.
Good article in tonight's Echo on DC Dick Spooner who retires from Essex Police after Tuesday night's game.

Would like to think that we'll give him a good send off.

From what I've seen he is a genuine football fan and has treated supporters with respect and appreciation of their passion, he has made sure that the policing of games has been done in a fair manner, unlike some of the policing I've experienced elsewhere over the years and I would like to express my thanks for that.

From one football supporter to another, have a long and happy retirement DC Spooner, you'll be a tough act to follow.

Dick Spooner calls it a day

In today's Echo there is an article on Dick Spooner saying his last game as Football Intelligence Officer is Tuesday's home game against Macclesfield.

Well done Cockle I meant to start a thread like this earlier....It would be nice if we can get some messages put on here we can print out and give to the man on Tuesday from the fans who appreciate the great job he has done over the years and how well he was/is respected.

I for one will very affectionatley miss Dick. I have always found him to be fair and very approachable and above all a nice man. How many officers in his position can honestly say that they know supporters as well as Dick does.
I wish him a very happy and healthy retirement and no doubt he will be popping up at a few games.
Is there a collection or anything for him that anyone knows of?

What next for the great man. Who is goin to be
Sorely missed how about all those arrested by him attend
The last game and form a guard of honour

I for one will very affectionatley miss Dick. I have always found him to be fair and very approachable and above all a nice man. How many officers in his position can honestly say that they know supporters as well as Dick does.
I wish him a very happy and healthy retirement and no doubt he will be popping up at a few games.

Have you gone gay Tinks ?

I'm happy to donate my months supply of truncheon vouchers. :whistling:

A top bloke who will undoubtedly be replaced by someone who will be looking to make a name for himself in all the wrong ways.

I think a rendition of one man couldnt carry , couldnt carry spooner is definately in order on friday

I always remember him chucking me out at rushden and diamonds after going 1 nil down i decided to throw a hot dog from right at the back of the away stand,just missing him and a few stewards .

As Coppers go he was okay. Treated fans with respect and they respected him back.

Got plenty of free away trips out of it though, it was funny seeing him at some far flung places where there was not that many Southend fans there and he was there to spot trouble makers!!!!!
He was totally out of his depth when there was trouble though. A certain game against Orient springs to mind when he ran around like a headless chicken trying and failing to stop a few punch ups.

Top fella, was liked by me and all of my mates except those on banning orders !!! Good old fashioned copper, firm but fair, not too many coppers i'd buy a beer for if i bumped into THEM in a boozer but i certainly would for d.s.

I'm sure his family members on here will give a suitable tribute.

Hmm ... I'm not the right person to give that H as I've only started to get to know him again after over 35 years of no contact. He is several years older than me - now that is an unusual phrase - but bearing in mind my musical focus, my chief memory of him is being a smiling and good-natured teenager who swapped me his copy of T. Rex's 'Ride A White Swan' (which was deleted, so very valuable for this once 11 year-old) for my copy of Alice Cooper's 'School's Out' at some family gathering at his parents' home in Shoebury in '72. I have the OBL to thank for pointing him out to me at the Good Friday game v the Franchise a couple of years ago. I think he was a bit surprised to see a middle-aged bloke in a replica shirt come down the steps in the West to call him 'Richard' before I introduced myself. I've enjoyed seeing him at away games since, especially when he goes round the pubs before the game, and I hope to meet him away from the footy one of these days. People are right about him being a fan though and I guess he'll be back at the Hall as one again soon. It's a strange feeling reading all this stuff about him and me not knowing him well, but I'm really pleased that lots of fans have generally got good things to say about him which is some achievement seeing as policing is not generally a popularity contest. :thumbsup:

Top fella, was liked by me and all of my mates except those on banning orders !!! Good old fashioned copper, firm but fair, not too many coppers i'd buy a beer for if i bumped into THEM in a boozer but i certainly would for d.s.

Seconded - got me out of a few scrapes many times always tried to fight my corner

Back