• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ayrshire Blue

The Custard Splat
As the title says, did our good run of form come too early in the season? Can you see us going on another similar run at the business end?

I still think there is more to come especially from some of the squad. moshni will want to repay the faith, benyon will want to get on the score sheet and sampson will want goals and games, the disappointing player so far has been harris but lets be honest we dont play to his strengths he needs to be in a 4-4-2 with someone along side him
Harris still has some unfinished business this season and dicko wants to prove the doubters wrong.
We have 2 very important months and 2 sky games to come. I think PS will be asking them to stand up and be counted and can see a few changes tomorrow and cannot wait :)

As the title says, did our good run of form come too early in the season? Can you see us going on another similar run at the business end?

Let's hope so. It's key that we start a decent run and soon.

What I don't want to hear is "off the field" issues impacting on the players.

This game is probably more important than the Swindon game now. We lose and can then start looking in to the automatics from the outside with 3 games lost in a row with Crawley having a game in hand as well.

Win and we could stay in the automatics with Crawley playing Swindon and Cheltenham in the 2 games after.

Need a good result to make the whole situation look more positive.

I think the new players signed in the window haven't yet had time to gel into the team. It has been said on here that they are no better than we have, and that may be proved so.
If they do gel, and we do have far more attacking options than we have had in a long time, then we could score a lot more goals in the second half of the season, than in the first.

I also think we have changed our (main) shape a little with the inclusion of Martin, and now play a very stretched 442 accross the width of the park instead of more compact when Leonard is playing say. This too takes time for adjustment, and means the other two midfielders have a lot of ground to cover if you are playing Martin and Hall both wide.

What worries me more is the defence, with older players, Mohnsi, and our goalkeeper having one of his worst games since his arrival, we could leak a lot more goals than in the first half of the season. (so a few 4-4 draws likely then!)

Coughlan doesn't look like he will play a full 90 mins again for us, and seems to be assuming a coaching role. Phillips is likely to have more injuries, that leaves an out of form Barker (his own admission) sorry if I was a little harsh on him for my match ratings on the Swindon game . A newbe and Prosser as central defence cover (assuming Mohnsi will play further forward) Clohessey and Gilbert probably pick theirselves.

Answer to question, and orginal wording of thread, have we peaked? Probably our most settled side has. I do not know whether Luggy has an Idea on his best 17 at the moment, let alone his best 11. As he may make wholesale changes for the Plymouth game. Very different from ther settled squad that went on the 17 match unbeaten run, and one he said he would not add Boli to so as not to disrupt the team!

I think the new players signed in the window haven't yet had time to gel into the team. It has been said on here that they are no better than we have, and that may be proved so.
If they do gel, and we do have far more attacking options than we have had in a long time, then we could score a lot more goals in the second half of the season, than in the first.

I also think we have changed our (main) shape a little with the inclusion of Martin, and now play a very stretched 442 accross the width of the park instead of more compact when Leonard is playing say. This too takes time for adjustment, and means the other two midfielders have a lot of ground to cover if you are playing Martin and Hall both wide.

What worries me more is the defence, with older players, Mohnsi, and our goalkeeper having one of his worst games since his arrival, we could leak a lot more goals than in the first half of the season. (so a few 4-4 draws likely then!)

Coughlan doesn't look like he will play a full 90 mins again for us, and seems to be assuming a coaching role. Phillips is likely to have more injuries, that leaves an out of form Barker (his own admission) sorry if I was a little harsh on him for my match ratings on the Swindon game . A newbe and Prosser as central defence cover (assuming Mohnsi will play further forward) Clohessey and Gilbert probably pick theirselves.

Answer to question, and orginal wording of thread, have we peaked? Probably our most settled side has. I do not know whether Luggy has an Idea on his best 17 at the moment, let alone his best 11. As he may make wholesale changes for the Plymouth game. Very different from ther settled squad that went on the 17 match unbeaten run, and one he said he would not add Boli to so as not to disrupt the team!

Dont forget the settled squad also went throught December without a win (till the end)

Martin is better than JJ.

Sampson is better than all the other strikers from what Ive seen.

Baldwin can be a good player for us if he get s back to how he was when he first came here.

If we start using Martin and Hall with Sampson up front I think it will pay off.

Defence I think we have good enough players but for some reason at moment they arent delivering.

I dont think a team has ever gone on a run like we did and not made the top three in recent history? feb is our month..

In terms of raising expectation then yes. At the start of the season the majority of people posting on here would have considered the play offs a good result. Those that talked of automatic promotion were generally derided as "rose-tinted" But now having been in the top 3 for so long the plays off will seem something of a failure.

There now look to be 5 teams pushing for 3 automatic places. As long as we stay within that group I am not too worried about us falling out of the top 3 for awhile. It some ways it may help to alleviate the pressure and put it onto other teams - how often do teams work their way into an automatic or play off position only to fall back again.

It's not a case of peaking, it's a case of playing well consistently for as long as we can, hopefully all season.

Sampson is better than all the other strikers from what Ive seen.

Baldwin can be a good player for us if he gets back to how he was when he first came here.

If we start using Martin and Hall I think it will pay off
Ok, so you're basing your view on Sampson on exactly how long? Dickinson is a DECENT player, I really struggle to read some of the views I see on here slating the guy. Ok, he's not exactly orthodox, I've never flippers like his on another player, for instance, but he's come good for us. He's our top scorer and he's a bloody hard grafter and he deserves the support of the fans.

Baldwin, I agree with your comments. I liked him when he was here last time, and I think with a bit of Sturrock inspiration the guy will come good.

For me, playing both Martin and Hall is key. Play them both and we will stretch opponents, I've been very impressed with Martin and I believe he should definitely have started the other night.

We definitely have the ability to shut any doubters up today!
A 3-0 win will
Be marvellous, if we can get back to the top today, hopefully it would get rid of some of the old women on here this evening! :)

Back