• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Disgrace

steveo

mine to stay the same please
Another English disgrace:

A soldier home on leave after being injured in Afghanistan was refused a room by a hotel when he showed his military ID card at reception.

Corporal Tomos Stringer, 23, from Gwynedd, was visiting a wounded colleague in Surrey when he was turned away from the Metro Hotel in Woking.

He spent the night in his car after being told it was management policy not to accept military personnel.

The hotel has declined to comment but the move has been called "deplorable".

Do you know that geographical area? Are you aware that Aldershot Barracks, Camberley and Pirbright are all within a ten mile radius of Woking? Are you also aware of the absolute mayhem that Squadies can bring to this area?

Ok I'm not condoning the action of the Hotel Management but I do have a certain understanding and sympathy after living in that area for ten years (the last 18 months in Aldershot itself).

When the Para's were back on leave from tours it was definitely a case of lock up your daughters and barracade your front door. Those guys couild bring some major carnage.

Last edited:
Are you also aware of the absolute mayhem that Squadies can bring to this area?

This was one bloke on his own. I know the whole country has to/wants to live by ridiculous rules these days, but at what time do you forget the rules and use common sense?

This was one bloke on his own. I know the whole country has to/wants to live by ridiculous rules these days, but at what time do you forget the rules and use common sense?

When his army mates stop acting like dicks and give well behaved squaddies a bad rep they dont deserve .
It works both ways im afraid , and being a privately run establishment they are well with in their rights to refuse (within resonable grounds that is) who they allow to stay.

It works both ways im afraid , and being a privately run establishment they are well with in their rights to refuse (within resonable grounds that is) who they allow to stay.
I dont think thats the case. If they turned away for example, a coloured person, or a muslim, they would probably be breaking some sort of law.

I dont think thats the case. If they turned away for example, a coloured person, or a muslim, they would probably be breaking some sort of law.

If they turned them say on the grounds of race etc yes , however if for instance the person inquestion was known to be say a local bad debter or trouble maker who is know to the coumminty then now irrespective of creed or religion etc .

So say in this case the soilder was from a regement known to cuase trouble who who had trashed their place before , it would not be unreasonable to not admit them

Actually, a licensee, or hotelier can refuse to serve anyone* as long as it's not for reasons of race etc. However, no reason needs to be given, so should a black man walk into a racist bar, all they have to say is "I don't want to serve you, and I'm not telling you why"

*I believe this excludes the Queen, and this is assuming licensing law's not changed that drastically in the past decade.

On a slightly happier note, the Neath Port Talbot council are allowing servicemen (and women) free use of leisure facilities, as a way of giving something back.

Who said we're all left wing sheep shaggers here?

Actually, a licensee, or hotelier can refuse to serve anyone* as long as it's not for reasons of race etc. However, no reason needs to be given, so should a black man walk into a racist bar, all they have to say is "I don't want to serve you, and I'm not telling you why"

*I believe this excludes the Queen, and this is assuming licensing law's not changed that drastically in the past decade.

On a slightly happier note, the Neath Port Talbot council are allowing servicemen (and women) free use of leisure facilities, as a way of giving something back.

Who said we're all left wing sheep shaggers here?

This is correct - A hotel / Guest House / B&B can turn anyone away without giving a reason. The situation here is though he was turned away and told because it was company policy not to serve squadies. Which I am sure as being in the industry you can do. If they didn't give a reason it would have been ok but not sure about this.

Last edited:
Back