• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Do we really want to get promoted this season?

I hope we do go up or do really well, so i can ram chris kamara's words back down his throat. He said we wouldn't do well and go straight back down.

We went straight through this division (going up and down) twice in the past 15 years, anyone who thinks we shouldnt go up and consolidate remember back to our famous promotion season, dont remember us struggling too much the following season then.

Lets all shoot for promotion then maybe we fall into the playoffs, if we play for mid table security we could so easily be dragged into the relegation dog fight.

There no reason if we do get too many suspensions and injuries come xmas we're still in the same position we are today
smile.gif

even though we would get relagated straight after i would still love to see southend get promotion to seasons in a row

I hope 2006 as the Centenary year will be special and promotion and the Championship would be a lovely way to mark it.

JCR and The Goat are probably not earning peanuts and don't we have a few players up for contract renewals so we are going to see change and a gradual upgrading of the squad anyway.

Sweet as. But would the championship be too hard for us at this stage?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp_on_the_wing2003 @ Sep. 15 2005,13:37)]Sweet as. But would the championship be too hard for us at this stage?
Whos to say? We can't actually say we would or would not survive in the Championship due to the fact we have no evidence to prove either. Apart from the two friendlies against Norwich and Millwall which were both great results but both of these teams are towards the bottom of the Championship. But I think the general opinion is that it would be too soon. But I wouldn't complain if we did get there. Be a great season no matter what. We would be back to where we belong. Well almost - one more step after that!!

As long as we do not get into financial difficulties in order to stay in the Championship I would be happy. But I am sure Ron would not allow that. We have learnt from the past and won't make the same mistakes. But we would definitly have to sign or loan in some quality players to give it a good go. Which may mean the wage structure being re-adjusted

But should we work out all the ifs and maybes at the end of the season if we get there. For now lets concentrate on the next game and go from there.

Another factor if we are ever to properly establish ourselves would be to increase our local fanbase. It's great to hear that there are more shirts about town lately, but I don't see why we shouldn't set ourselves the target of being the number one club in Southend.

As a town of 150,000 with even more within our potential catchment area, and with the number of locally born people increasing with each generation, we should be gunning for crowds of 10,000+ in 5-10 years time which would allow us to compete at the next level up.

I would like to see us finish one place above relegation and any higher will show short sighted management. I want us out of all cup tournaments int he first round so we can concentrate on finishing 20th. Any cup runs might see us finishing higher due to a boost in morale or lower due to tiredness. 20th is where we need to finish!!!!!

Seriously, I can't believe people don't want to see us promoted. If we go up again, a big if at this stage of the season, then the squad will have to managed and the budget set for relegation, so that we are secure if we go down. Any success in FA Cup or LDV will be taken to. The FA Cup might see us drawn against a big club and the LDV is a realistic chance of silverware and another 500 k. The last two cup runs has financed the deals for Luke G, JCR and Fredy and is paying the Goats wages. The goal for the season is to stay up and should be celebrated if it happens, but then lets hope for more, because the finances seem to be managed quite well at the moment.

I never said i didnt want us to go up i just said that it might prove counter productive. I think play offs this year. Add two or three players and then promotion next year. Personally i hate Luton town but they have to prove a role model to other clubs aiming to get into the top flight. Personally i hope they get promoted this season.

I hope we go out of all 3 Cups in the first round and finish bottom with 20 points.

I can never understand when people say "We wouldnt want to go up" as surely thats the whole point of football.

If we went up and managed it sensibly then we could feasably have a fair crack at staying up. I think we could get a few players like but not Steve Kelly on loan from London Prem clubs and a few sensiblr signings as (T)watford have shown and you can do well.

Also if we did go up and come down at least the bluk of players would gain in experience and hopefully make us stronger for the following season.

Promotion if fine with me Tilly. Would settle for a 20th place finish tho. As long as we dont go down this seaosn has been a winner already in my eyes

laugh.gif

Back