• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Do we really want to know it?

yogi bear up the cagire

Life President⭐
I've already proposed this thread before (perhaps the same time last year) but feel that it is worth giving another airing.
In the light of Ron's comments about early signings and then the infamous, 'Tilly hoping to bring someone in by the end of the week'........only for Chorley to go off and join Orient. Then Tilly's remark about 'waiting to hear from a defender'.........which still seems to be having communication problems. Even Geoffrey King has got into the act with,'there will be signings'. I pose the question, do we really want to know?.........and more to the point does it help PR from the club to set up false hopes which don't come to fruition?
I understand that the club wants to make its supporters believe that there is a lot going on in its attempts to bring players in........but in honesty, if you have a modicum of intelligence, you understand that already. Do people think that it is preferable to make some kind of bland statement, as has already been done, rather like, 'the club is doing everything in its power......blah blah blah' and leave it like that, keeping totally silent until we have a signature on the contract?

I've already proposed this thread before (perhaps the same time last year) but feel that it is worth giving another airing.
In the light of Ron's comments about early signings and then the infamous, 'Tilly hoping to bring someone in by the end of the week'........only for Chorley to go off and join Orient. Then Tilly's remark about 'waiting to hear from a defender'.........which still seems to be having communication problems. Even Geoffrey King has got into the act with,'there will be signings'. I pose the question, do we really want to know?.........and more to the point does it help PR from the club to set up false hopes which don't come to fruition?
I understand that the club wants to make its supporters believe that there is a lot going on in its attempts to bring players in........but in honesty, if you have a modicum of intelligence, you understand that already. Do people think that it is preferable to make some kind of bland statement, as has already been done, rather like, 'the club is doing everything in its power......blah blah blah' and leave it like that, keeping totally silent until we have a signature on the contract?

The club cant win either way.

The club cant win either way.

Exactly. The trouble is that an element of our support were coming across as being like little kids on Christmas Day throwing tantrums because they couldn't wait to unwrap their presents.

That said, the closer we get to the Huddersfield match the more and more it becomes an issue to start getting worried about.

The Club doesn't help itself by being so public about so many things. They should have realised by now that we have very long memories. Ron will never live his 'war chest' pledge down and saying that we would make early signings rather than would try to make early signings hasn't helped either.

I started off in the camp of being happy to have these tit-bits of hopeful news given out but after, what appears to be two rebuffs, I'm starting to wonder whether it is a good thing. I don't think that we would have been anymore angrier or frustrated by not hearing this info. When it is given out you have the tendency to believe that the deal is virtually done and thus the disappointment and frustration is even greater when nothing comes of it.
As it is known that the powers that be in club regularly scan this site I thought it maybe useful for them to understand our views on this topic.

I dont think its unreasonable to expect a few signings before much longer. All the teams that I would see as rivals see to have managed to improve on there squad. its not like its a one off its every season and I think people are getting frustrated.

Yes we have 4 weeks left but we are always slow startes and half the reason for that is the players never seem to know each other as they only join the week before the season starts and have little proper pre-season with the club.

Sadly there seem to be quite a lot of people posting on here who don't have as much as the modicum of intelligence required to suss that out...

And if people think it's all about money, it clearly isn't. Look at the trouble Man City are having attracting players with their "stratospheric" offers.

We usually end up getting the right people in. Names are banded about left right and centre in the lead up to the start of the season or as we come towards a transfer deadline. The people we end up with were NEVER the ones mentioned by people who claim to be "in the know" so it just goes to show that there is a phenomenal amount going on that we and not many other people it seems are privy to.

Personally, I think it was an admirable stance for Ron to take and I was always interested to read his weekly blog. Sadly you can tell people too much information and there is quite an element on here who seem to think it's their absolute right to know all the ins and outs of the clubs business. There really is only the capacity to disappoint. If he says "we have no money available for transfers" then he will upset everyone and will be metaphorically lynched. If he says "we will be making signings but they will be loanees and free transfers" then he will be castigated for not making cash available to buy people. If he says "we will be buying someone" then unless Tilly spends that money as soon as it's available people start getting jumpy and claiming that we're missing out on players who are signing for other teams. If he maintains radio silence then everyone assumes he is on the fiddle and the club is going to administration due to the lack of news.

Neither he nor the club can win.

You can't run anything successful by committee. We just have to wait and see what happens.

Have a look at the BBC Div One site and look how many of the clubs have signed players in the last couple of days. Duberry to Wycombe. Now that's an experienced centre half we could have done with. I wonder whether we were even in the running.

Our last two entries are about two non-entities masquerading as first teamers that are injured and Tilly whingeing about seven subs because we don't have a squad that large.

I agree, the rumours amd "we nearly signed" are unhelpful. Now we need to start seeing some signings.

Personally I take every thing with a pinch of salt until I see that gurning picture on the official web site.

Sadly there seem to be quite a lot of people posting on here who don't have as much as the modicum of intelligence required to suss that out...
And there's the key to the problem.

The club have to ponder to the fickle fans that assume T&B haven't a clue how to do their job.

In all honesty, I'm not interested in sound bytes from the club about who we're trying to sign, when we're going to sign them, and how hard we're working behind the scenes - all I'm interested in is who we actually sign. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, and no amount of words from the board, or management, will mean anything unless we have players arriving in time for the big kick off.

I've no idea if we were actually trying to sign Ben Chorley before he opted to join Leyton Orient - if we were, then I find it surprising he would choose them over ourselves - but again, that is all hearsay. No one knows the truth, and despite what PR friendly comments may come our way from the club in an attempt to appease the anxious fans, again, how much substance is actually in what they say?

I noticed today that Wycombe have captured the signing of Micheal Duberry on a free transfer - at 33, and with a ton of experience, he would be EXACTLY the kind of replacement we would need for Peter Clarke, and someone who would be a commanding presence in our back line - I refuse to believe that we could not compete with Wycombe Wanderers in terms of wages.

What is clear is that we need new faces, and quick - not because the start of the season is next week, but because we need to be able to knit the new players in with the rest of the squad through pre season so we can hit the ground running.

It's action that is required, not words - and the funny thing is, the more I hear from the club that we're talking to this defender, that we're bringing in players earlier this season etc etc, the less I tend to believe it.

I'd rather know about all people we try to sign, or have at least negotiated with.

It's action that is required, not words - and the funny thing is, the more I hear from the club that we're talking to this defender, that we're bringing in players earlier this season etc etc, the less I tend to believe it.

I think action has always been in the wings... It takes time to sign players these days and the recent spate of news stories about who we're talking to is down to the club recieving a lot of criticism over the past fortnight because of the lack of news eminating from the club.

After all... Happy faces and content supporters = more ticket sales.

As it happens, I expect we'll see at least one new face in this week. If not, I'm afraid we're falling further and further behind not the clubs contending for promotion, but the clubs who'll fight it out for those midtable slots.

I believe and I'll always believe, that Peter Clarke was a terrible signing for us. But I'll also remember that when we signed him he said that the transfer had been three months in the making. Again, I'm not defending the lack of transfer activity but I'm saying that these things take time.

I believe and I'll always believe, that Peter Clarke was a terrible signing for us. But I'll also remember that when we signed him he said that the transfer had been three months in the making. Again, I'm not defending the lack of transfer activity but I'm saying that these things take time.

I can't agree that Clarke was a terrible signing - I think in the last few months of the season, along side someone like Devitte, he showed exactly the kind of centre half he was - Basically, one of the best at this level.

But that's just a matter of opinion I guess. I do agree that signings take time - I think everyone would accept that it is not a simple process, and the negotiations involved can sometimes be protracted, and complex. However, it's not gone unnoticed among the higher echolons of the club that we "took our time" ti sign players last season, and a conscious effort was SUPPOSED to be being made this season to bring players in earlier.

It's a bit of a running joke amongst fans about how long it takes us to complete our transfer business - yes, some of the comments are a bit 'the end of the world is nigh, woe is me' etc, but for so many people to talk about it, means that we do have a recurring theme of dragging our heels in the transfer market.

As I said above, I'm not interested in what the club has to say about signing players, i'm only interested in who we buy, and when.

I can't agree that Clarke was a terrible signing - I think in the last few months of the season, along side someone like Devitte, he showed exactly the kind of centre half he was - Basically, one of the best at this level.

I mean a terrible signing in the context of what we needed at the time and the amount of money he cost us. Clarke is a decent player, but he was brought in to replace Sodje and Spinner but he was just not physically capable of that role.

I mean a terrible signing in the context of what we needed at the time and the amount of money he cost us. Clarke is a decent player, but he was brought in to replace Sodje and Spinner but he was just not physically capable of that role.

Fair enough - Probably true in hindsight as well. Now, if we'd signed him AND a physcially commanding centre half to replace Barrett we'd still be a CCC team now :)

Fair enough - Probably true in hindsight as well. Now, if we'd signed him AND a physcially commanding centre half to replace Barrett we'd still be a CCC team now :)

I doubt it. Our midfield, centrally especially, was overran for the majority of the season.

Not necessarily to replace Barrett. I don't think that's fair! Clarke and Barrett are one and the same in everything but physical appearance. Barret OR Clarke + N E Tall and Commanding-CB = possibility of CCC football.

Back