• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Do we really want to know?

yogi bear up the cagire

Life President⭐
This not being the first time that awaited signings have not come to fruition can I pose the question, do we really want to know about prospective signings before they are confirmed?
The club would, presumably, defend their actions by saying that we were keeping supporters informed and that they were keen not to appear inactive in the face of a striker dilemma. Certainly many on here were glad of the opportunity to spend some days, wildly speculating on the identity of the immenent new arrival. Yet there will probably be some that will see it as another public relations ****-up on the part of the club.
So, do we prefer this openess or would we rather remain in ignorance, and delight in the sudden news of a loan signing being announced, if it had come off?

On this board, the club are damned either way. If they'd said nothing, people would have been up in arms saying we weren't doing anything. So they did say something, and when it didn't come to fruition, people are up in arms saying why did we bother. They can't win.

This not being the first time that awaited signings have not come to fruition can I pose the question, do we really want to know about prospective signings before they are confirmed?
The club would, presumably, defend their actions by saying that we were keeping supporters informed and that they were keen not to appear inactive in the face of a striker dilemma. Certainly many on here were glad of the opportunity to spend some days, wildly speculating on the identity of the immenent new arrival. Yet there will probably be some that will see it as another public relations ****-up on the part of the club.
So, do we prefer this openess or would we rather remain in ignorance, and delight in the sudden news of a loan signing being announced, if it had come off?

I think the club should rise above the rabble and save their own time by not saying until there's actually something to say. Why let the tail wag the dog?

Can remember the Efe Sodje signing. I think we found out on the Friday night and he started the next day and was a key addition in the promotion push, so not knowing is probably better.

The other side of the coin was when Phil Jevons nearly signed. Speculation had been rife about a new striker and the deal was almost done but Webby pulled the plug at the last second. Not many people knew that but it was bitterly disappointing at the time and would probably have been better off not knowing.

I can uderstand the club not wanting to publish the names of players whilst negotiations over a potential move are in progress but there is nothing to stop them publishing the players address(es).

That way those of us with nothing to do between reserve, youth and ESC fixtures can pop round and do a bit of detective work and maybe try and sell the club to them?

I can't believe that people actually want LESS information. We have endured reams of posts criticising the club for (apparently) doing nothing, because they tell us nothing. Now they are giving us some information and the howls of derision are echoing around the forums because it didn't happen in the end.

I am quite grown up now, I can deal with disappointments, and frankly I would rather be informed than kept in the dark. We aren't a glamour club, we will miss out on far more players than we sign, just accept that and stop moaning about everything, for Heaven's sake!

:headbang:

I'd like to see a full list each week (maybe as an attachment to Ron's blog) of the players that we are interested in, have bid for, those we might bid for next week and those we have no intention of bidding for ever. This way the fans can keep abreast of developments. This would stop all the guessing games about whether the player is from the north or south.

Maybe this could be published in chart form. I dont know, it's just an idea.

I can't believe that people actually want LESS information. We have endured reams of posts criticising the club for (apparently) doing nothing, because they tell us nothing. Now they are giving us some information and the howls of derision are echoing around the forums because it didn't happen in the end.

I am quite grown up now, I can deal with disappointments, and frankly I would rather be informed than kept in the dark. We aren't a glamour club, we will miss out on far more players than we sign, just accept that and stop moaning about everything, for Heaven's sake!

:headbang:
Totally agree. Besides, these days there is far less chance of a (potential) signing being kept a secret anyway because The Echo is always looking for a story to fill column inches so it's inevitable that such info will leak sooner or later.

On this board, the club are damned either way. If they'd said nothing, people would have been up in arms saying we weren't doing anything. So they did say something, and when it didn't come to fruition, people are up in arms saying why did we bother. They can't win.

Couldn't agree with that more.

why not tell us who this mystery striker is? wont do no harm now.

You say that but it might do. The loan window shuts towards the end of the month. The mystery striker was being looked at by a few Clubs but decided against all of them. Between now and the end of the month his manager could tell him he has no chance of playing for the Club again so I suggest you move. Only us and a handful off other Clubs want him, say Northampton, Col Ewe and Hartlepool, the story gets re-released that we are looking at him again but then someone like Leeds or Leicester come in for him because they have heard his avaliable and they have a striker crisis so they jump to the front of the que and grab him.

Yes we'd all like to know who it is after having all the speculation on here, but we've missed out so we just have to move on and support whoever is upfront with Robinson tonight, and the other lads.

I thought the question deserved an airing and when posing it I tried to remain as objective as possible. Having let it run for the day, I'll now add my grain of salt.
I do appreciate the difficulty faced by the club in situations like this and can understand the feeling that they are damned which ever choice they make. I do like having information from the club and of course I, like many on here, love the hunt to uncover the prospective target........this is surely one of the fun parts of SZ.
If we are told that we are in negotiation with a club or player and due due to opposition from one or the other, or indeed both, the move breaks down I am happy to live with this.................. forget it and move onto someone else.
The only thing that slightly concerns me in this case is that this player "has turned down loan moves to a number of clubs, including ourselves". Thus you start to wonder whether bringing this player in was as close as we were led to believe? I don't suppose we shall ever know the answer unless Tilly or Ron decide to divulge further information, sometime in the future.

Yes because we want to know what happens at our club. If they would have said nothing then there would have been threads saying "Why is nothing happening?". I am also abit on the no side because my hopes get up and then (most of the time) get smashed down. I bet that most of the posters on here were dreaming of a Freddy return!

Back