• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Do you go "north of the Crouch"?

Do you go North of the Crouch?

• Yes there are some lovely places there

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • No Southend is the centre of the universe

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters

DoDTS

The PL League Boss⭐⭐
I was talking to someone who was telling me that over the weekend he had been to Maldon, Chelmsford and various places north of the crouch, but I told him I don't go there. Frankly from Southend its purely an East/West thing for me from Shoebury to London, why would I go to mid/north Essex? Am I alone in this or do others not do "north of the crouch2?

DoDtS

PS I live in Hullbridge which to me is about as far north essex as I would want to go, I look over the river to the great unknown and sigh!

Nope, rarely go anywhere in North Essex.

Do go to Suffolk/Norfolk camping but North Essex is too close for a weekend away.

I work in Colchester and live in Chelmsford. Sadly I only really venture south of the Crouch to watch or play football.

Got family in Wenden's Ambo, near Saffron Walden. I think they prefer to regard it as Cambridgeshire, but it's Essex, bitches. Nice part of the world anyway.

As a cab driver you rarely get a job other side of the crouch its just a natural barrier like the estuary you can't cross till you get to south Woodham and everything you need is this side anyway

There really are some lovely villages in north Essex and if you are able to drive then on a warm summer day/ evening makes a lovely trip out. The only down side is that most of them are close to Colchester

Heybridge Basin is a pleasant visit on a nice day (better during the week than weekend as it gets quite busy).

I thought this was going to be a thread about some kind of euphemism!

Essex is a beautiful county and well worth a visit on a sunny day. Sadly, the not so lovely parts are on the estuary - our bit.

I know that their are some lovely places in outer Essex, but the fact is that I don't go there. In my 60 years I've probably been to Maldon half a dozen times, Burnham on Crouch probably twice, while Chelmsford about 20 times but that is largely due to Essex professional Cup games in the 1960/1970s and Friendlies. Its not a deliberate thing it just doesn't happen, the Rettendon Turnpike has been like the Berlin Wall to me, I know other parts of the country far better than I know my. own county.

My point in the thread was do others feel the same and looking at the poll about one in three do, the other two thirds are more enlightened.

I know that their are some lovely places in outer Essex, but the fact is that I don't go there. In my 60 years I've probably been to Maldon half a dozen times, Burnham on Crouch probably twice, while Chelmsford about 20 times but that is largely due to Essex professional Cup games in the 1960/1970s and Friendlies. Its not a deliberate thing it just doesn't happen, the Rettendon Turnpike has been like the Berlin Wall to me, I know other parts of the country far better than I know my. own county.

My point in the thread was do others feel the same and looking at the poll about one in three do, the other two thirds are more enlightened.

I grew up in Hullbridge and visit my mum there every week
In laws are in Maldon so I go there a lot .Maldon and Heybridge basin (mentioned by OBL) are both great days out. If you were into Sunday rides on motorbikes then there is nothing in 'Southend' essex to match North Essex. Yes we have the sea and some positives that comes with that , but North Essex has much better countryside, prettier villages etc. pros and cons to both

I too thought this was a delicately-titled thread about the bedroom proclivities of our happy band.

Undetered, I have read all the replies as though they were racy double-entendres -phwooar!

To add my own experiences, I also work (occupy a desk) in Chelmsford and also have to visit Maldon to work, and for a day out recently we toured a few villages 'up north' - *wink wink*

Back