• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Do you remember the first time?

A 3-1 win over Gillingham in the mid-80s. Think Steve Phillips scored twice and John Gymer got the third.

Home
Saturday, 15 September, 2001
Southend 0-0 Hartlepool

Away
Tuesday, 10 February, 2004
Colchester 2-3 Southend

Was that September 4, 1981? If so, that was my first game too. I remember a young John Aldridge scored Newport's first goal.
That's the one although had to look it up as I have very little memory other than the score and opposition!

I

A screamer from Andy Sussex and it was Stan collymores last game for the club. I only got to see him play once and I'm sure he scored but it was ruled out.
Sussex's technique there was top drawer. Forgot Chris Kamara featured in that game. Unbelievable.

Quite honestly no, but it was in the 1960/61 season. Used to go with my father, grandfather and brother. We were season ticket holders in the east stand before it was extended and used to hire a cushion to sit on the wooden seats. Remember they stopped renting the cushions after they were thrown on the pitch at game end, but can't remember the date.

August 28, 1961 - Southend 2-2 Portsmouth.

First time allowed to go on my own, Aug 24 1963: Southend 1-1 Bournemouth.

I bought a rosette (what's those, I hear?) for 1/6d from a supporters club hut on what is now the NW corner of the North Bank!
Bus and train fare from Basildon: 1/6d (7.5p); entrance 1/3d (7p) programme 4d (2p) - crisps and Mars provided by Mum!

My uncle who used to be part of the singing section in the 80s in the North Bank took me to my 1st game in October 1983 against Newport I think it was, really boring game I remember but I was hooked from that day. I was 11 years old and remember on the train on the way home they took all the bulbs out of the carriage as they was the old saucer lights, guard came on and chucked us off, luckily it was our stop but I remember being proper worried lol.

I’m taking my 7 year old daughter for her first (maybe her last?) trip to Roots Hall this weekend. Lots of sweets, snacks & will have phone charged for when she gets bored.. any other tips?

It was March 71 v Notts County, a 1-0 win. Now over 50 years ago, jeez, all that torture.

Don't recall anything about it really bar the smell of stale burgers and woodbine, yum. First real memory was that flared trousers pitch invasion v Villa that same year, the 50th anniversary of which is coming up

Silly to say i cannot remember my first, but the one i always remember was when i was just a young sprout ,just old enough to climb over the wall at the stand end ,down into the toilet block there and out up to the hill end i walked with my freiends , it was against Millwall ,who at the time were top off division 3 south, they had a young keeper making headlines in the papers Alex Stepney ,big crowd their that night we lost 3-1 ,Milwall went on to win the league and got promoted . But i got to see my heroes, Sam Mc ,Roy Hollis and Harry Threadgold.

Back