• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Does all dairy cause cancer?

Vange Shrimper

Mrs Rock God
Was listening to Richard Bacon's show on Radio 5 last night and there was a massive debate between vegans and meat eaters.

The vegans claim that eating dairy products and drinking lots of milk can give you breast cancer (because it is full of hormones which the body cannot digest properly and ultimately absorbs it all) and if you eat red meat, it'll give you bowel cancer.

What is your opinions of this? We were all grown up to think that drinking lots of milk was good for you because it's full of calcium - good for the bones.

Is this just basic scaremongering from the vegans, or is some of it true?

I think that whatever you eat or drink, according to some bunch of doctors/scientists somewhere in the world, it will give you cancer or some fatal illness.

You can't even drink water without someone arguing that it's bad for you either because of the contamination from the pipes it comes through or the containers it's packaged in.

If there's one certainty in this world it's that we're all going to die some time, so let's just get on with living and to do that you need to eat and drink, so let's enjoy it!

I think that whatever you eat or drink, according to some bunch of doctors/scientists somewhere in the world, it will give you cancer or some fatal illness.

You can't even drink water without someone arguing that it's bad for you either because of the contamination from the pipes it comes through or the containers it's packaged in.

If there's one certainty in this world it's that we're all going to die some time, so let's just get on with living and to do that you need to eat and drink, so let's enjoy it!

Well said! :clap:

Was listening to Richard Bacon's show on Radio 5 last night and there was a massive debate between vegans and meat eaters.

The vegans claim that eating dairy products and drinking lots of milk can give you breast cancer (because it is full of hormones which the body cannot digest properly and ultimately absorbs it all) and if you eat red meat, it'll give you bowel cancer.

What is your opinions of this? We were all grown up to think that drinking lots of milk was good for you because it's full of calcium - good for the bones.

So milk gives you breast cancer? Do eggs give you ovarian cancer? If so, I'm going in the bog to chuck up those two plums I've just eaten.

Imo, if you believed everything you heard on the news about food and links with illnesses, you wouldnt eat anything. I know people who have lived into their 90's and have eaten a diet full of dairy and red meat and havent ever had cancer!

For gods sake. We're omnivores, and that's why we don't die en masse when we eat meat / dairy / things that are incompatible with our digestive systems.

Scaremongering again, methinks!

When i was a lad milk was good for you because cattle were not given hormone treatment unlike today.

For gods sake. We're omnivores, and that's why we don't die en masse when we eat meat / dairy / things that are incompatible with our digestive systems.

Scaremongering again, methinks!

This 'vegan' was also convinced that we are all originally herbivores and should never eat meat.

She also had a dog, which she claims if he wasnt given to her at such an old age, she would give him a vegan diet also.

This was all brought up because apparently over in the states recently (I think, could be wrong) a couple had been put into prison for life for having a baby and giving it a vegan diet. The baby subsequently diet from malnourishment.

This 'vegan' was also convinced that we are all originally herbivores and should never eat meat.

She also had a dog, which she claims if he wasnt given to her at such an old age, she would give him a vegan diet also.

This was all brought up because apparently over in the states recently (I think, could be wrong) a couple had been put into prison for life for having a baby and giving it a vegan diet. The baby subsequently diet from malnourishment.

We are eat-meaters! What an idiot.

We are eat-meaters! What an idiot.

Quite. We have canine teeth for a reason - and that's to tear flesh. We also have molars for grinding vegetable matter. If these vegans want evidence of what happens when you feed an animal incompatible foods look at cows - the whole BSE thing happened because there was meat in the anumal feed.

This kind of hard fact is never going to convince hardcore vegans like this, though! ;)

When I worked on the council many years ago, we had this young girl come and start on the grass cutting gang. She looked like an Belsen victim on a diet she was that thin. She was a pretty slip of a thing but had that pasty almost ashen colour to her skin. At lunch time she opened up her sandwich box to reveal salad cream sandwiches and that was what she survived on, everyday, three times a day, seven days a week. We were a nasty bunch of b@stards and took the p!$$ all the time but she wouldn't listen and stuck to her guns.

I asked her what else she avoided when it came to food. The list was endless.

No Meat, fish, dairy products, eggs or vegetables. That's right, vegetables, she wouldn't eat them because she read a book that suggested that vegetables scream when put in boiling water. Nothing with animal fat in it and she was also very fussy on any fruit.

'So what would you suggest we do with all the milk that cows produce? I asked her.

'Thats for the calfs nothing else' she replied

When I suggested that cows unmilked would die horribly she said that that was natures way. It was like talking to a ******. I fully expected her to tell me she wouldn't eat anything that cast an shadow.

She was last heard of avoiding drain covers for fear of falling through without touching the sides.

I'm a vegetarian and my girlfriend is a vegan, so any abuse that either of the two camps gets my back up. People like us respect meateaters' decisions to meat and we expect the same respectful treatment back. Each to their own, eh? The food chain/carnivore argument doesn't wash with me because we are no longer an unintelligent, primitive, hunter-gather, nomadic society. Time has moved on in the tens of thousands of years since then and you can now be perfectly healthy without things in your diet that you would have died without tens of thousands of years ago.

Not all vegans and vegetarians are militant, crazy people who try to force their ideas and beliefs on other people. My girlfriend and I do it for moral reasons regarding the treatment of the animals. Simple as. The baby escapade in the states wasn't just due to a vegan diet - it was because the crazy hippy parents disagreed with the baby drinking it's own mother's milk. So it had no milk, cow or human, that's why it died. That is insane and NOT the essence of being a true vegan. The screaming vegetables idea is just as bloody ludicrous. Not all veggies and vegans think like that you know.

The cancer thing, who knows? Scientists come out with this stuff all the time and for every scientist that claims something regarding dairy and cancer you'll find one who will say the opposite.

Back