• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Dorking Wanderers 1-0 Southend United

Glad you agree with me!
😄, quite the opposite im afraid. I was pretty ever present at the hall throughout kevs playing career with us.

He thrived on better talent around him and was captain and midfield maestro in the three or four succesful seasons under tilly and brush imo. Back in the old 4-4-2 days as defensive midfielder and playmaker alongside attacking midfielders such as bailey.

A simpler time perhaps in terms of formations and tactics, but we were awesome and it was a wonderful time.

Thought I would add this little story from last night's 1-0 defeat against Dorking Wanderers and hopefully it will bring a smile to your face. I was lucky enough to grab one of the 80+ seats allocated to Southend supporters which included all staff members, Essex Radio & the Press. Sitting directly behind me was a scout from Q.P.R who was also an Oxford United fan and like me had supported his club for well over 60 years. It was like me also a new ground for him and we started to talk about our former players from back in the day and as you know talking is a full time job for me these days. He then mentioned that a few years ago he was doing some scouting work for Spurs watching some second division matches in Germany and he had bumped into a Southend fan who he spent some quality time with at the match. The scout who's name I didn't asked then said to me completely out of the blue "How good was Billy Best" well as you can imagine I was absolutely stunned but I then spent the rest of the second-half telling him my own personal encyclopedic knowledge about a person that really does mean so much to not only me but to many other misty eyed fans of a certain age who had the privilege and pleasure to witness the great man play in our beautiful blue shirt. The match itself had passed me by as the referee blew the final whistle. I was still in a bit of a daze as we said our goodbye's and as I shook his hand he thanked me for my time but admitted listing to me was a whole lot better than the match we had both been watching. As we often say to brighten up your day "You just can't beat a bit of Billy"
🤗
💙
⚽
💙
🤗
HI Nobbler...yep that was me.It was a very cold friday night at a FÜRTH game(div2),you cannot beat a friday night game.Off to Nürnberg tonight..friday night,footie and beer.
Yes that bloke knew his football and as you wrote all about Southend and king Billy.
Bumped into him,iirc,outside Fürths ground,he wanted to get to the underground and then onto Nürnberg main station.Then a train to München.....He looked more confused than i did..and i was half cut...YEP,Southend and King Billy...a true LOVE story.Felt like he had a soft spot for us and BB.

@B.B.The Legend Lives On.
I've always wanted to ask.....how did you end up with the nickname "Nobbler"?
Very good question? Probably best (pardon the pun) to ask either your Dad or Uncle and if they can't help you then maybe we should meet up at Roots Hall next time that you are down this way. Mind you if as your name suggest's you are from the Lincoln area please forgive me if I seem a little bit edgy if/when we meet up as I am still having a few belated nightmares from my misspent youth well over 50 years ago.:Winking::Winking:

You've failed to address the point though so I'll repeat it for you , 2 players who kev rejected! another manager has got a tune out of!

I think you’re talking about Acquah and Barratt at Maidenhead as you were talking about Devonshire.

Barratt gave up waiting for the embargo to be lifted under Molesley and signed for Maidenhead after the world’s longest trial. Acquah was released by Brown.

Neither was rejected by Kev. Of the players Maher let go only Nathan Ferguson and Simeon Akinola found clubs at this level. Everyone else dropped down at least one level.

I couldn't go today which is bloody typical after witnessing all but one of our horrific losing run. It's just so nice to go to bed not feeling miserable.

Well done to all those who travelled 👏👏 and even if it wasn't a sensational watch well done blues 💙

Back