• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Dover Athletic 1-0 Southend United

What is wrong with the fans today? Everybody knows that the team isn't good enough and relegation is looking certain but abusing the players towards the end isn't going to help anybody. I was disgusted and ashamed with the lot of so called fans. It was a fair and expected result and it is only a game of football, only the minute's silence at the beginning meant anything.
Be honest GW it was in first 30 mins when playing Wimbledon the abuse and your not fit to wear the shirt chant , so at the end of the game is progress

Easy to say this after such a demoralising defeat, but how useful did those two goalscorers for the Jammers look, eh? Parish especially was impressive. The gems are out there but the arguments for and against have been passionately canvassed many times on this forum. But perhaps Sol will take a punt in Jan.

Easy to say this after such a demoralising defeat, but how useful did those two goalscorers for the Jammers look, eh? Parish especially was impressive. The gems are out there but the arguments for and against have been passionately canvassed many times on this forum. But perhaps Sol will take a punt in Jan.

I tend to agree with you on this We need to take a chance on a few of these type of players and see where it goes

Yeah and when it is, as well as discussing the spineless cowardly players we all think don’t care how they play, can you also discuss the spineless cowardly self proclaimed ‘best fans in the country’ (all from the safety of SZ, Twitter, or hiding behind a row of stewards among a crowd of their mates) and their penchant for racially abusing the parent of one of their players and telling another that they hope his family die of cancer....

We might discuss how this makes the player want to stay and work for the club....or we could discuss why former players come back to The Hall and milk every single success they have individually or a as a team like it meant the world to them.....or how players these knowledgable fans thought were ****e that have suddenly become good for another team....

Or we might want to discuss the merits of how we inspire one of our players to play better by singing about his love of Croissents and the size of his C*ck.....because he’s French and Black I presume....brilliant ??

Or we could discuss how after conceding with 7 mins left we thought it would inspire a comeback by singing “you’re not fit to wear the shirt”.......

Or we could discuss the future of Southend Football club when Ron Martin does what was asked of him by a neanderthal group of morons and walks away from the club just after asking for his £20 million back....

Paying £20 and turning up doesn’t automatically qualify as “support”....as the bunch of morons behind the goal proved today.

Yes, lets discuss this.

I speak as a 51 year old with over 300 away games under my belt, rarely miss a game home or away these days. I don't do chanting behind the goal, not my thing. I don't particularly like some of the more disrespectful stuff about other towns, or certain players. I find the Dieng song humourus but I am not about to start singing about a player's knob. I am also more than vocal about my dislike of attending the more local away games due to some of the characters that come of out the woodwork.

But I make no bones, none at all, that today for the first time ever I vented my anger at a group of players who collectively and individually do not deserve my support. I did after the game, but I have no issue with those who did it in the 83rd minute - because frankly it doesn't matter. We could have made a wall of supportive noise, they still wouldn't care and we'd still lose. They don't care. They don't care for this club or its supporters.

It's a two way thing. I've seen poor teams, bad players and dreadful results. I've not seen a team who care so little for my shirt - and today they needed to be told. They need to understand that we've finally cottoned onto the problem. It's not the Chairman or mangers (past or present), its down to their attitude and their unwillingness to earn their wages. A lack of ability I can forgive, a lack of heart and desire to do a basic job, I can't.

The thing is, you've put your ire at the group of youngsters behind the goal. If you'd looked around there were plenty of long term, die hard, travel everywhere fans who were equally vocal in their disgust at what we'd just witnessed. Hopefully it might be the kick up the arse some of them need.

If you heard any supporters racially abusing anyone, I hope you reported it to one of the many stewards inside the ground or police outside the ground. There is no place for that (nor for the comments another poster says was hurled at Hutchinson)

EDIT... oh it was you who post that about Isaac. I hope that got reported as well, and I mean to the authorities not just on SZ.

Last edited:
I was sickened today. In fact I was so sickened I was ashamed to be associated with Southend in any form at all......

Why?

Why was I sickened, ashamed and embarrassed?

Because of a certain individual - our own fan - who thought it was ok to tell our own 19 year old player Isaac Hutchinson, while he was taking a corner that he HOPED HIS FAMILY DIE OF CANCER.

Our own fan said this.

About our own player.

Our 19 year old youth product.

Disgusting embarrassing vile vile human being.

I hope he’s on here and reads this. He let down himself his family his club and all of you that are decent honest Southend fans.

Anyone has the right to offer anger or frustration at a player they feel isn’t playing well or isnt working hard but this is despicable.

I’m sorry I can’t get over it and if Isaac is reading this, (I’m sure he’s not), or his family read it (they may well be) I want to apologise on behalf of the football club and it’s fans.

Vile disgusting cowardly scum.

Shame we can'ti dentify and ban him for life. I don't want scum like that 'supporting' my club.

Due to my reduced mobility, I've not seen any games this season and rely on comments made by the people on this forum whose opinions and objectivity I respect. I think my darkest times in my 53 years of supporting Southend came in the era when the likes of Barrington Belgrave and Danny Webb were in the team - an awful day in Scarborough in the 1990s springs to mind. Could I ask my more seasoned co-sufferers if our current bunch are as bad as those? If so, I really do feel worried about our ability to survive in the Football League.
Hard to make a comparison as the league and quality of some players is higher Last season although we were bad we looked if we turned up we could at least compete and sometimes get a result.This season is the worst I can remember since 64 quite simply it is a team of individuals who the way they are playing ...you can't see ever winning a game .We virtually have no midfield and the the players look and play like a pub team .If Sol can turn this round it will far outweigh the escape of last season by miles

SOUTHEND United manager Sol Campbell was left hurt and perplexed following his side’s FA Cup humiliation at Dover Athletic.

More...

Been saying for a long while now, the squad isn't good enough. Individually they're not up to it. Collectively they're worse. It has been an awful two years at the club and despite many, many warnings that have been evident over that period, none have been heeded and this is where we are. Frankly, it is embarrassing.

What is wrong with the fans today? Everybody knows that the team isn't good enough and relegation is looking certain but abusing the players towards the end isn't going to help anybody. I was disgusted and ashamed with the lot of so called fans. It was a fair and expected result and it is only a game of football, only the minute's silence at the beginning meant anything.

I think the fans have been more than patient. If the players want cheers they should win something. They are all old enough to understand football. If you play like crap people arent happy. Play like crap and be the worst side people have seen in 50 years then expect boos.

And if you dont like it lift your game or bugger off.

Been saying for a long while now, the squad isn't good enough. Individually they're not up to it. Collectively they're worse. It has been an awful two years at the club and despite many, many warnings that have been evident over that period, none have been heeded and this is where we are. Frankly, it is embarrassing.
I agree with you and things must and need to change. I hope today's result will make players realise that the current situation we find ourselves in is unacceptable. This is a time when players need to take responsibility and stand up and be counted. The supporters want a team that gives 100 per cent every hour they are employed at the club both in training and on a match day. We may not have the ability of other teams but hard work and endeavour often pays off. That's all we ask as supporters of the team we all love Southend Utd

Due to my reduced mobility, I've not seen any games this season and rely on comments made by the people on this forum whose opinions and objectivity I respect. I think my darkest times in my 53 years of supporting Southend came in the era when the likes of Barrington Belgrave and Danny Webb were in the team - an awful day in Scarborough in the 1990s springs to mind. Could I ask my more seasoned co-sufferers if our current bunch are as bad as those? If so, I really do feel worried about our ability to survive in the Football League.
I'm afraid so. Not necessarily in terms of skill but in terms of lack of effort and inability to compete, then yes.

I think the fans have been more than patient. If the players want cheers they should win something. They are all old enough to understand football. If you play like crap people arent happy. Play like crap and be the worst side people have seen in 50 years then expect boos.

And if you dont like it lift your game or bugger off.

The fans have been very patient and I am amazed that the attendances at Roots Hall have been so high but don't think that will continue. The only positive from this is that club legends Adam and Tilly weren't handed the poisoned chalice that Sol now has.

The fans have been very patient and I am amazed that the attendances at Roots Hall have been so high but don't think that will continue. The only positive from this is that club legends Adam and Tilly weren't handed the poisoned chalice that Sol now has.
I’m also pleased about this as I don’t think that they’d have had any more effect. It would’ve ended Barrett’s managerial career before it had started.

I’m also pleased about this as I don’t think that they’d have had any more effect. It would’ve ended Barrett’s managerial career before it had started.
I'm am as well. Adam would be devastated after today's result if he was still playing

Back