• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Eastwood sending off

People seem to be forgetting we're now going to be without possibly our best player against the scum, and for that reason alone the sending off was totally wrong
mad.gif

From what I saw (from South Upper) Freddy deserved his red. You can't go round pushing people when you're squared up like that. I don't care if Premier$hite 'stars' get away with it, it's not part of the game and it shouldn't be. All players know the laws and Freddy, in the heat of the moment, let his heart rule his head.

Tilly, if he loves football, cannot excuse Freddy in any way. He could, perhaps, have supported Freddy's contribution to the team and put a positive spin the situation by saying how we'll miss him in the next 3 game. But, given that he was probably interviewed after a game which was even until Freddy got sent off, he was probably boiling inside at the opportunity of 2 points lost, he wasn't feeling that charitable towards Freddy. I don't think anyone was at 5.10 on Saturday afternoon.

That said, The Huddersfield guy had evidently been goading Freddy for some time during the game - after Freddy scored his goal there seemed to be a lot of off-the-ball 'banter' going on between them. That doesn't condone Freddy's actions, but the ref should have at least had a word with the player, as he played his part in the incident - he could have walked away but he chose to square up too.

I hope this doesn't knock Freddy too much - the goal he scored was the one he's been needing to hopefully get going, and now this. Equally, I hope that the Goat is up to playing 3 consecutive 90 minute stints in the space of 8 days - he's not had a full game for months.

At least one of the 3 games is a Cup game. League is more important.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fish @ Aug. 22 2005,10:18)]From what I saw (from South Upper)  Freddy deserved his red. You can't go round pushing people when you're squared up like that. I don't care if Premier$hite 'stars' get away with it, it's not part of the game and it shouldn't be. All players know the laws and Freddy, in the heat of the moment, let his heart rule his head.

Tilly, if he loves football, cannot excuse Freddy in any way. He could, perhaps, have supported Freddy's contribution to the team and put a positive spin the situation by saying how we'll miss him in the next 3 game. But, given that he was probably interviewed after a game which was even until Freddy got sent off, he was probably boiling inside at the opportunity of 2 points lost, he wasn't feeling that charitable towards Freddy. I don't think anyone was at 5.10 on Saturday afternoon.

That said, The Huddersfield guy had evidently been goading Freddy for some time during the game - after Freddy scored his goal there seemed to be a lot of off-the-ball 'banter' going on between them. That doesn't condone Freddy's actions, but the ref should have at least had a word with the player, as he played his part in the incident - he could have walked away but he chose to square up too.

I hope this doesn't knock Freddy too much - the goal he scored was the one he's been needing to hopefully get going, and now this. Equally, I hope that the Goat is up to playing 3 consecutive 90 minute stints in the space of 8 days - he's not had a full game for months.

At least one of the 3 games is a Cup game. League is more important.
Cant see the Goat lasting 90 for a cpl of weeks yet.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Prodigal Son @ Aug. 22 2005,12:42)]Nobody should miss from there but it's getting there in the first place. Anyone else think Huddersfield were awful? That McIntosh, donkey of the year?
ORM was just kidding.

Huddersfield even SOUNDED poor on the commentary. That's saying something. They didn't seem to bring much quality to the game. my brother sent me a text saying how bad they were, and how much we were in control.

It just shows that, in this league, the step up means you have to bury as many as your chances as possible because, no matter how much you may be controlling the game, the opposition only need one half chance to tuck one away.

I was overjoyed that Eastwood scored his first league goal of the season, but it's really back to the drawing board for him now and has to pick himself up and get out there when his ban is over.

I don't think people on here have been harsh on him. He did a silly thing and it could have cost us the game. Let's just hope he learns from it and it helps him cope better in future when defenders are kicking, pulling him and winding him up for the rest of the season and beyond.

Eastwood deserved to go, i was gutted though because from the point he went we were never going to win it.

I always thought that Huddersfield would nick it on Saturday given the chance, luckily they didn't, although the three corners in time added on gave everyone a few scares.

I wonder if Tilson will look at getting a striker in on loan now?
I say this because i don't think Goater will last ninety mins, and also i don't think Lawson is suitable for the games coming up.

I'm not sure Huddersfield were that awful. We absolutely bossed the midfield - Maher and Gutts were superb, and Petts and Gowzer worked hard too. Let's give credit to our boys. Don't forget, Huddersfield did miss a couple of sitters second half.

Letter of the law, Freddy had to go, but I never thought the ref would give it at the time.

And yes, I think we really do need another striker on loan, no way the Goat will be able to play in all 90 mins of the next 3 matches. Shame we can't give Wayne Wonder a bit of a rest tonight...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fish @ Aug. 22 2005,10:18)]From what I saw (from South Upper)  Freddy deserved his red. You can't go round pushing people when you're squared up like that.
Pushing people....that's the joke in all this. The sending off was for "violent conduct". Presumably the rule was brought in to penalise those who throw punches.

When there is a 22 man melee and everyone is pushing everyone else surely the ref should send the lot off then!

So you break someone's leg, punch someone or call an official a **** and you get the same as "pushing someone". Please Football League use a bit of common sense, this rule is too inflexible.
mad.gif

Great to see Freddy get his first goal this season. Although he didn't threaten to score again in the first half, I wouldn't mind betting that the Huddersfield manager was concerned enough to say to Holdsworth "see if you can wind the lad up! he's only a youngster"... Freddy fell for it and the rest is history.

Agree with the thoughts about the inconsistency in applying the laws of the game with referees and I saw worse incidents after Freddy's red card to confirm that.

I think Freddy will vent his frustrations on his return and we will start to see the best of him again - hopefully when we play Oldham.

I wonder if Tilson will tinker with a 4-5-1 formation tonight with Wayne up on his own in the 1st half? IF, we can hold it goal-less in the first half, revert to a 4-4-2 in the second, bring on Shaun Goater for a midfielder and go for broke!!!

cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hawkwell Blue @ Aug. 22 2005,13:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fish @ Aug. 22 2005,10:18)]From what I saw (from South Upper) Freddy deserved his red. You can't go round pushing people when you're squared up like that.
Pushing people....that's the joke in all this. The sending off was for "violent conduct". Presumably the rule was brought in to penalise those who throw punches.

When there is a 22 man melee and everyone is pushing everyone else surely the ref should send the lot off then!

So you break someone's leg, punch someone or call an official a **** and you get the same as "pushing someone". Please Football League use a bit of common sense, this rule is too inflexible.
mad.gif
Offering violence is the same as being violent and should be treated the same, hence the phrase 'violent conduct'. It does address throwing punches etc, but the threat of violence is just as unappealing on a football pitch.

In hockey, the same theory applies. If you raise arms at someone, you are treated the same way whether you push or punch someone. the conduct is inappropriate and should be prevented.

A good referee would not let a 22 man melée develop, if it does then I agree he has a problem on his hands. In those occcasions, I would argue you have to look at who caused it and give them the appropriate punishment.

In light of that, I stand by what I said. Freddy's conduct could have caused a melée but didn't. I also stand by what I said about the Huddersfield player - the ref should have picked up on the fact they were already at each other and taken the steam out of the situation earlier on, but he chose to ignore it and as a consquence the game was marred by a player being stupid.

Lets hope Freddy has learnt from it, as he can expect a fair few teams to try and wind him up now he's fallen for it once.

I would also have like to have seen Freddy take a dive when the referee pushed him. It would have been hard for the ref to send him off for a push which didn't floor the bloke, if the ref himself had pushed him to the floor.

Otherwise definite red. Can't believe people are even suggesting otherwise. He might have got away with it once, but not twice.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Aug. 22 2005,13:32)]I would also have like to have seen Freddy take a dive when the referee pushed him. It would have been hard for the ref to send him off for a push which didn't floor the bloke, if the ref himself had pushed him to the floor.
Quality post!

Back