• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo

Bluerightthrough

Tilson is quoted to say, "We knew Bristol were going to get the ball forwards quickly and be quite physical, that's why we decided to start with Tes because of his strength and I thought he worked his socks off"
"He hasn't played for a while but he did well and covered a lot of ground for us"

Now I personally agree with his comments, it's a shame that a few people on hear don't

Football's all about opinions. I thought Gray would have been a better option if he was going for strength. Or maybe he could have kept Drewe for a few more games...

He may have covered a lot of ground, but covered most of this ground by walking or slowly jogging around the pitch. sadly he was nowhere near the work rate of lawrie who looked brilliant. maybe bringing on tes later on in the game would have been more effective against a tired(ish) defence.

Naps, can you please get over Drewe, its getting more dull than the Bart -vs- Darryl debate ...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Feb. 16 2005,17:26)]Naps, can you please get over Drewe, its getting more dull than the Bart -vs- Darryl debate ...
True. Very true!
glare.gif

Also, i've been informed my ugly mug is on the back, so i'll have to pop to Tesco's and have a look.

wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bluerightthrough @ Feb. 16 2005,17:17)]Tilson is quoted to say, "We knew Bristol were going to get the ball forwards quickly and be quite physical, that's why we decided to start with Tes because of his strength and I thought he worked his socks off"
"He hasn't played for a while but he did well and covered a lot of ground for us"

Now I personally agree with his comments, it's a shame that a few people on hear don't
Absolutely.

I think Tilly got that team selection spot on. Tes is our best link man.

He offers strength and mobility and can hold onto the ball. This is vital, as otherwise the ball returns to the opposition as quickly as we win it. Eastwood and Gray are both guilty of this, and when they are paired together I always feel retaining possession is a problem.

However these is more to Tes' game than holding the ball up. Unlike the one dimensional Broughton, Tes also offers the option of the ball over the top or in the channels. This extra dimension makes it a lot harder to defend against as Tes can be a handful if the ball is played short, or over the top/into the channels. If defenders try to pre-empt either option Tes can punish them by doing the other.

Tes' strength and ability to hold the ball up also wins a lot of free-kicks.

These reasons are why Southend are (IMHO) a better team with Tes in. Even when Tes does not appear to be fully on top of his game (like last night) he is still contributing. I still think he could be offering more, but what he does is still valuable.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Feb. 16 2005,17:33)]Also, i've been informed my ugly mug is on the back, so i'll have to pop to Tesco's and have a look.

wow.gif
Well in side profile it is with some very gay gloves!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Feb. 16 2005,17:18)]Football's all about opinions. I thought Gray would have been a better option if he was going for strength.
Really? I thought Gray was out-muscled far too easily against Scunthorpe last Friday.

I like Tes but I am not blind to his problems. It is time to lay off though. He is a far better player than Broughton and if his abilities can be harnessed he is still a player that can do a job for us in the future and at a higher level than this. Truth is some people want miracles. Tes has only had the reserves to shine in. How many games have they played this year? Two I think. Its not enough for match fitness and how is he to perform alongside the kids, the walking wounded, the trialists and the no hopers. Give Tes a break. If anything we should allow him to go on loan to get match fit and then see what he can do. He might just surprise you.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Feb. 16 2005,18:07)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Feb. 16 2005,17:33)]Also, i've been informed my ugly mug is on the back, so i'll have to pop to Tesco's and have a look.

wow.gif
Well in side profile it is with some very gay gloves!
biggrin.gif

Cheers Scriv. As helpful and as informative as ever ...

oops.gif
wink.gif

Interesting point about Tilly. After all, he picks the teams and tells Ron who's contracts he wants renewing. If he's happy with Tes' contribution, why would he get rid at the end of the year?

Back