• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

They have been outstanding........but Sokolik does concede free kicks quite regularly due to his physical, practically living on the unfortunate forward of choice styleeee

I think both of them will be released this summer.

Was their sub Odejayi the first PBB they have gone up against?

It was noticeable that they struggled against his size enough for Brown to bring on Prosser.

I've not seen a CB quicker than Egan over 5 yards for Southend. His speed to get to the ball and intercept and attack high up is exceptional. Risky, but it saw us break down possession and win possession so many times against Rochdale.

They have both done very well since coming in, never thought two kids could do as well.

It has to be mentioned that our defensive record has actually been good all season though, we have been in the top two or three from goals conceded most of the season.

They have both done very well since coming in, never thought two kids could do as well.

It has to be mentioned that our defensive record has actually been good all season though, we have been in the top two or three from goals conceded most of the season.

With the workrate of Atkinson et al in midfield the back four get good protection

and was totally unnecessary with Sokolik still to beat (If Philips or Prosser had done that some on here would have crucified them )

It was a mistake, all players make them and the fact he has done so many and contributed to so many clean sheets then I cant see why anyone would.

If a player makes continuous errors then yes people will make more of instances like that.

They have been class. Both try and play their way out from the back too which is great to see (although you still get the old fashioned hoof every now and then). I'd be over the moon if we could keep either, unlikely as that may be.

They have been excellent, but we've been far too quick to write off Mark Phillips who is earning rave reviews at Aldershot. Fans who have watched us for some years will have seen many worse centre halves wear a Southend shirt. If we remain in this league next season, we should be renewing his contract.

They have been excellent, but we've been far too quick to write off Mark Phillips who is earning rave reviews at Aldershot. Fans who have watched us for some years will have seen many worse centre halves wear a Southend shirt. If we remain in this league next season, we should be renewing his contract.

Phillips has gone, he wont play for us again.

If we had interest in giving him a new contract we would never have loaned him out.

Disagree. If we go up, clearly he won't be offered.
But if we don't go up, and once Egan and Sokolik have gone, there'll be a vacancy. And there are much worse centre halves at this level than Phillips - we play against them every week. You've clearly supported the team for a while - I'm sure you can name half a dozen who are worse than MP, even with age considered.

He wont be here even if we are in League Two, if we thought he was good enough he would be in the team, he isn't going to get younger or better next season.

We have had 4 centre halves better than him this year, we will get someone better next season if need be.

Been a great player for us, but his time has passed.

He wont be here even if we are in League Two, if we thought he was good enough he would be in the team, he isn't going to get younger or better next season.

We have had 4 centre halves better than him this year, we will get someone better next season if need be.

Been a great player for us, but his time has passed.

Maybe it has, but we should be careful what we wish for. We'll field much worse defenders than him in years to come, ageing or not.

Phillips is gone.

For several reasons - his injury record, his age, that he's likely to be amongst our bigger earners, his lack of comfort on the ball and Brown's comments about him being soft.

Was a good player for us though (when fit) and deserves a warm reception if he returns to Roots Hall in another team's shirt next season.

Egan and Sokolik turn 22 and 21 early next season and have played 17 and 8 league games respectively, of which only 2 games were outside the basement division. As well as they've played for us that's not much of a CV to fall back on when they get released this summer. They might be able to pick up a league one deal as a squad player on the back of their performances for us, but if they come to us they can get a starting position and for players who haven't had first team football for the past 3 years that's going to be a huge incentive.

My only reservation is that whilst they are good players I think they'd both be better playing alongside an aerially dominant centre-half (like ironically, Phillips was). Fleetwood have Jon Parkin and Burton Gary Alexander and I think they may struggle a little against those two, like they did against Odejayi until Prosser came on.

Phillips has been a great servant but he isn't good enough anymore. Newport at home proved that.

Both are out of contract in the summer, both could possibly do better but if we get promoted then cant see a championship sides taking either of them and we can guarantee first team football.

Sure I read somewhere we nearly signed Jakub full time but we rushed it through to get a loan for Scunny game.

It was a mistake, all players make them and the fact he has done so many and contributed to so many clean sheets then I cant see why anyone would.

If a player makes continuous errors then yes people will make more of instances like that.
your comment makes no sense- are you saying that Prosser has given away numerous penalties this year? The fact is he made a massive error , the fact he has been great does not mean we should gloss over the facts

Phillips is gone.

For several reasons - his injury record, his age, that he's likely to be amongst our bigger earners, his lack of comfort on the ball and Brown's comments about him being soft.

Was a good player for us though (when fit) and deserves a warm reception if he returns to Roots Hall in another team's shirt next season.

Egan and Sokolik turn 22 and 21 early next season and have played 17 and 8 league games respectively, of which only 2 games were outside the basement division. As well as they've played for us that's not much of a CV to fall back on when they get released this summer. They might be able to pick up a league one deal as a squad player on the back of their performances for us, but if they come to us they can get a starting position and for players who haven't had first team football for the past 3 years that's going to be a huge incentive.

My only reservation is that whilst they are good players I think they'd both be better playing alongside an aerially dominant centre-half (like ironically, Phillips was). Fleetwood have Jon Parkin and Burton Gary Alexander and I think they may struggle a little against those two, like they did against Odejayi until Prosser came on.

its a very good point, They are both excellent , but on the two occasions they have been against a 'physical' attacking side we have given away a penalty and have brought on Prosser to help. I agree they are very good, but I don't think we should get carried away------------not yet anyway. :winking:

I have the utmost respect for the job Phillips has done for us over the last 4 years but he's been on the decline for the last year (much as Barker was towards the end) and the Conference is probably now his level. He'll do a good job for Aldershot if he joins them full time. Good luck to him.

Back