• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Elbow Playing at the Cliffs

Joolz

Coach⭐
I know there are a few Elbow fans who visit this forum, so I just thought I'd give a 'heads up' on the fact that they are playing the Cliffs Pavilion next year March 1st (a Sunday I believe).

My tickets already safely acquired - can't wait.

cheers for the headsup, i'll try and get down for it, my uncle is a big fan

2 tickets ordered for me & the lady. It will be the 4th time I've seen them, fantastic live band.

Bugger......would love to see them, there new album is on in my car all the time. Might have to find out if they are playing Aberdeen

dare I say, self indulgant student music? a bit like Radiohead?

dare I say, self indulgant student music? a bit like Radiohead?

i don't think you could define either band as self-indulgent... they both tend to be creative and follow their direction, but both bands have achieved continuing (and growing) commerical success. I actually applaud bands who are making the music they want to make, i think elbow and radiohead are excellent songwriters and musically they are extremely interesting. it might not always be cheerful and chirpy, but they have their moments too!

i don't think you could define either band as self-indulgent... they both tend to be creative and follow their direction, but both bands have achieved continuing (and growing) commerical success. I actually applaud bands who are making the music they want to make, i think elbow and radiohead are excellent songwriters and musically they are extremely interesting. it might not always be cheerful and chirpy, but they have their moments too!

hit a nerve did we?

I was joking...I do like some of thier stuff, but too much is a little depressing for me to handle..

anyone remember Fugazi?...now if you want some experimental punk rock..

hit a nerve did we?

I was joking...I do like some of thier stuff, but too much is a little depressing for me to handle..

hehe not really, just think that radiohead especially have had their w*nky moments, but it's gone full circle and that if they have had their self-indulgent phase, then good for them because In Rainbows is a masterpiece

yep I'm a massive Fugazi fan, other *post-hardcore* bands like Drive Like Jehu and Q and not U are also brilliant

hehe not really, just think that radiohead especially have had their w*nky moments, but it's gone full circle and that if they have had their self-indulgent phase, then good for them because In Rainbows is a masterpiece

yep I'm a massive Fugazi fan, other *post-hardcore* bands like Drive Like Jehu and Q and not U are also brilliant

fraid you lost me on them last 2, stopped reading NME...actually, no I never did read it, to pompous and up its own arse, I was a 'Sounds' reader.

more Punk/oi and even metal.

hit a nerve did we?

Yep, Fugazi are fantasic, lucky enough to see them at the Forum in Kentish town a few years ago, was also lucky enough to do an email interview with Guy Picciotto once aswell. Ian MacKaye is a bit of a personal hero of mine, have you heard any Evens material, the band he formed with his wife?

Yep, Fugazi are fantasic, lucky enough to see them at the Forum in Kentish town a few years ago, was also lucky enough to do an email interview with Guy Picciotto once aswell. Ian MacKaye is a bit of a personal hero of mine, have you heard any Evens material, the band he formed with his wife?

no, I have to say, Fugazi, Lemonheads, Buffalo Tom, Dinosaur Jr ,Pixies and the Breeders were about as much post punk/hardcore that I got into...Im not really a shoe gazer, and Sonic Youth et al, did my head in.

I was more and still am into more the faster tempo'd stuff.

I saw Fugazi many years ago (1991 I think) supported by silverchair(?)...they were rather special...so much so, I've totally blanked out where I was and who else was on..no, not drugs or drink, just a long time ago.

The last gig I saw in london before I moved out was thw Wildhearts and the Dickies(they were brilliant) at Angel Islington.

Got my tickets and can't wait. Saw them at the Latitite Festival in the summer, and they were absolutely fantastic live.

Having listened to both Coldplays new album and Elbows a lot recently, the Elbow album is streets ahead of it. Nice to see them finally get some recognition of late, although if a band such as Coldplay had released the same album it would have been seen as a work of genius immediately no doubt. Elbow, up to now, have been one the music industries hidden gems in my opinion.

I like Elbow a lot now having never given them a shot, and realising I was wrong for that.

But I still think they peaked with the first three tracks on their debut. An astounding triple play...

Fugazi though leave me feeling very cold despite owning several of their records and trying hard to see what the fuss is all about. I put it down to hating any band with a nasally lead singer (!Forward Russia!, Rival Schools, Los Campesinos, etc)

I like Elbow a lot now having never given them a shot, and realising I was wrong for that.

But I still think they peaked with the first three tracks on their debut. An astounding triple play...

Fugazi though leave me feeling very cold despite owning several of their records and trying hard to see what the fuss is all about. I put it down to hating any band with a nasally lead singer (!Forward Russia!, Rival Schools, Los Campesinos, etc)

apart from the music, ok some tracks can be construed as self indulgant, I am very much with thier ethics of what a punk band should be about. keeping it cheap, do it yourself, and none of them have ever come out and been a 'rockstar' unlike so many other 'punk heroes'.

Back