• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

******** electrical question!

Pubey

hi all, i've just moved flats and am having some hi-fi issues. my turntable is now quite a way from my amp, and so i can't attached the turntable grounding wire to the amp (the amp has a built in phono stage). A work around is to ground the turntable to something that is already grounded, so if I buy this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=12712

and then if i plug it into the wall and attach the grounding wire to this will it solve the issue (or even use this to replace my turntable plug).

any help greened.

Appreciate that a cheaper option is that I could just buy a long piece of wire and extend my grounding wire, but i don't have a soldering iron!

Last edited:
3633464329_255ed1fd42.jpg

thought about it, but it's got a spade plug attached on the end of the earthing wire which i don't really want to take off and then try to strip back. appreciate the plug idea is probably a waste of a fiver, but is it essentially doing the job?

Just connected the ground wire to anything metallic (and not painted) and it should be fine. Any exposed metalwork in the house has to be grounded by law (unless you've got a dodgy flat!)

hi all, i've just moved flats and am having some hi-fi issues. my turntable is now quite a way from my amp, and so i can't attached the turntable grounding wire to the amp (the amp has a built in phono stage). A work around is to ground the turntable to something that is already grounded, so if I buy this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=12712

and then if i plug it into the wall and attach the grounding wire to this will it solve the issue (or even use this to replace my turntable plug).

any help greened.

Appreciate that a cheaper option is that I could just buy a long piece of wire and extend my grounding wire, but i don't have a soldering iron!

I have a soldering iron, if you wanna use it.

Back