• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Elvis

It's at a time where it will be best for both parties if he did leave. I'm saying this under the assumption even if Elvis walked on a free it'll be settled by tribunal because he's under 24? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

But if that's the case he's a full international that's played over 100 games for us... We've already spoken in another thread the difference in money after relegation is around £500k [according to Orients chairman] Imagine if we got £300k or £400k for Elvis.

I have no idea what the fee could be or how it's calculated. But it could be that the best thing Elvis can do for us is leave.

Last edited:
Look, we all know he isn't the most gifted - he would not be a Southend player if he was. However, he does seem committed, he isn't the worst right back in league 2 let alone the conference. If the lad wants to stay and is prepared to muck in then that is fine with me. People forget he is still young, he has been surrounded by rot and those who cba for two seasons - who is to say in a more settled team he won't excel? For me if he is one to throw out of our current squad he would be near the back not the front.

Ive ruled out the possibility of another club wanting him for his long throws....

Looks like he puts his hands round the sides rather than behind the ball. Then it slips with no control or accuracy. I have seen 10 year olds with a better throw. How is it even possible that that cant be cured in a couple of sessions.

Funny how often we lose players who we all assume will go on to bigger & better things like Dru, Lenny, Coker etc, and they either don't progress or often go backwards. Then you get the Ladapo's, Francis's, Kightly's (first time) and to an extent Piggot's who all got regularly slated on here & all went on to better things. I suspect Elvis would thrive in the right team under the right management.

100% keep if we can. He’s good enough. Don’t think he’s much better than League 2/bottom half of league 1 level. Could def get a move but don’t think he’ll be inundated with offers.
Elvis is tall,quite quick , has decent ball skills and a good attitude. He’s still always likely to make ugly defensive errors,positional especially.
Another season in League One watching and learning from Demetriou would have done him the world of good. He’ll probably get another chance at League level.

He’ll probably get another chance at League level.

Probably?

Honestly...and this isn’t aimed at you Zuess, but the comments on here aimed at Elvis are laughable.

The kids still only 23 and he’s basically been an ever present for three seasons where every single one of 6 managers has picked him almost without exception.

He’s had a chairman who’s refused offers and not let him leave to progress his career, while he’s seen others do exactly that....

He’s not sulked, kicked up a fuss, downed tools or given up the fight and he’s given you, the fans, blood sweat and tears without a second thought through thick and thicker!!!

Now you want to sit here and claim he’s had a poor season?

Makes me laugh it really does.....if it didn’t boil my **** quite so much, that is!!

Trust me, he’ll have offers. And if he has any sense he’ll pull whatever trick he has to pull to get out of the football club and at 23 get back to focussing on his own progress and his own ambitions rather than sitting quiet, helping others and putting up with the some of the ****e he’s had to put up with for the last 18 months.

It's at a time where it will be best for both parties if he did leave. I'm saying this under the assumption even if Elvis walked on a free it'll be settled by tribunal because he's under 24? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

But if that's the case he's a full international that's played over 100 games for us... We've already spoken in another thread the difference in money after relegation is around £500k [according to Orients chairman] Imagine if we got £300k or £400k for Elvis.

I have no idea what the fee could be or how it's calculated. But it could be that the best thing Elvis can do for us is leave.
I think £30k - £40k is being supremely optimistic. Full international for Uganda counts for diddley squat I am afraid.

Probably?

Honestly...and this isn’t aimed at you Zuess, but the comments on here aimed at Elvis are laughable.

The kids still only 23 and he’s basically been an ever present for three seasons where every single one of 6 managers has picked him almost without exception.

He’s had a chairman who’s refused offers and not let him leave to progress his career, while he’s seen others do exactly that....

He’s not sulked, kicked up a fuss, downed tools or given up the fight and he’s given you, the fans, blood sweat and tears without a second thought through thick and thicker!!!

Now you want to sit here and claim he’s had a poor season?

Makes me laugh it really does.....if it didn’t boil my **** quite so much, that is!!

Trust me, he’ll have offers. And if he has any sense he’ll pull whatever trick he has to pull to get out of the football club and at 23 get back to focussing on his own progress and his own ambitions rather than sitting quiet, helping others and putting up with the some of the ****e he’s had to put up with for the last 18 months.
You have absolutely nothing good to say about ‘our club’ Ollie. Once again a player that we have put years of resource into you’re encouraging to go elsewhere because apparently we’re a s***t club with s**t supporters. You had your head up the a***e of one of the worst managers and back room teams in living memory and it is clear your allegiance is to anyone other than ‘our club’. Fans of other clubs come on here but are normally clear about their true colours and generally respectful. You cloak yourself in a pretence of being interested in the club we’ve spent a lifetime supporting without any concept of what that means.

Funny how often we lose players who we all assume will go on to bigger & better things like Dru, Lenny, Coker etc, and they either don't progress or often go backwards. Then you get the Ladapo's, Francis's, Kightly's (first time) and to an extent Piggot's who all got regularly slated on here & all went on to better things. I suspect Elvis would thrive in the right team under the right management.
How has Lenny not progressed or gone backwards? He plays in the Championship and we’re about to be in Non-League.

Looks like he puts his hands round the sides rather than behind the ball. Then it slips with no control or accuracy. I have seen 10 year olds with a better throw. How is it even possible that that cant be cured in a couple of sessions.
We need Liverpools throw-in coach, Thomas Gronnemark.

I'd be gutted for the club if Elvis does leave in the summer because I had him earmarked to be club captain at some stage in the future. I think he's a very impressive young man, and the way he has held himself and represented the club over the past few years has reflected that.

From my perception, the role that he plays in the changing room is underestimated; he was youth team captain and that was because of the respect his team-mates had for him and, from speaking to players that have subsequently stepped into the first-team environment, I know that he has helped them in attempting to make the transition from the U18s/U23s into the senior set-up, as well as providing general advice to the scholars trying to make the grade at a professional football club.

On the pitch, I don't think he has stood out as much as he has in previous seasons, but I posted a couple of months ago that he was arguably our most irreplaceable player (and in fairness, when Jason Demetriou stepped in at right-back when Elvis was on international duty he probably disproved that a little) and I think if he stayed he would be one of the first names on the teamsheet. @Yorkshire Blue has posted a few times this season showing the differential in goals conceded from our right-hand side compared to the left-hand side, and I think that says a lot about how Elvis has quietly got on with things.

What I would say is that Elvis doesn't owe us anything, and we shouldn't begrudge him a move to a league club if one does come in for him, especially as - providing we offer him at least an equivalent contract - due to his age as a 22-year-old, we would be entitled to compensation. He has, in my opinion, always given his best for the club and, for his personal future, if a potential move comes about, then he shouldn't turn that down out of loyalty to Southend United.

Great post again @Exiled Shrimper

My thoughts exactly. Elvis has shown loyalty and value and some posts regarding his ability or level of performance have been unfair given his age and value he’s given.

Given the opportunities he’s missed by staying and how he’s sacrificed his own progression to stay at SUFC, if another league club come in (which I’m sure they will) for the sake of his own career he has to go. If he doesn’t he risks never reaching the levels his ability and professionalism deserve.

Despite what some may think of me for that opinion, Elvis has approx just 10 years left doing this job before he has to retrain and find other work and to ask or expect him to show more loyalty by staying is as unfair as it unrealistic.

To be fair I don’t think anyone would begrudge Elvis leaving or think he’s disloyal. I do believe he does care about the club, just look at his joy after Sunderland or Lincoln. His level is above the NL and for his sake I hope he gets a good deal with a league team and that this time he’s allowed to go. No he didn’t down tools, yes he’s always tried his hardest. Good luck Elvis ?

He can leave us and I'll clap him out the door.

A great servant to the club both on and off the pitch, he's just not been part of a very good side.

If Elvis stays or goes, i wish him well. It's interesting that he ends up as one of the very few that give an interview, fair play to him. He played his heart out at the centre of defence if i remember, when Molesley was desperate to stop the team conceding.
He's come on well and it's obvious to see him wear his heart on his sleeve out there, look at how well he has performed with J White in the back four, whilst having all manner of right midfielders in front of him all season.

Again, if the team actually played with two up front and at least one was a striker, we'd be applauding the defence from Xmas, as part of a fantastic run of games that kept us up.
If Elvis lined up for us in the NL i'd be delighted.

Back