• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Beefy

Life President
I haven't a clue what is going on at our club. Does anyone actually know for a fact or fully understand the position we're in with signings?

It's stated as fact on here (a fact I'm definitely not disputing, btw) that we're under various embargoes and yet we're signing players and the manager is saying that he wants six more. By all accounts we've got a loan signing lined up and now the press are suggesting we're after Lee Barnard as well. Yet we cannot register players.

The club suggested we can have a 20 man squad, the League suggested to Jam_Man that a club under an embargo can have a match-day squad (16-18 players) but if there is such a dispensation I'm pretty sure that it is in place to deal with clubs under an embargo getting hit with an injury crisis - not to allow a club to build a brand new squad over a summer.

I've just got a bad feeling (based on nothing) that the day before the season starts we're going to go out to the League for dispensation to play White and the other new signings and they won't grant it. Can anyone put those fears to rest for me?

I think the best most people can offer is an educated guess. The only people who know for sure are probably Ron and Steve Kavanagh. I wouldn't mind betting Phil Brown doesn't even know the full picture.

I haven't a clue what is going on at our club. Does anyone actually know for a fact or fully understand the position we're in with signings?

It's stated as fact on here (a fact I'm definitely not disputing, btw) that we're under various embargoes and yet we're signing players and the manager is saying that he wants six more. By all accounts we've got a loan signing lined up and now the press are suggesting we're after Lee Barnard as well. Yet we cannot register players.

The club suggested we can have a 20 man squad, the League suggested to Jam_Man that a club under an embargo can have a match-day squad (16-18 players) but if there is such a dispensation I'm pretty sure that it is in place to deal with clubs under an embargo getting hit with an injury crisis - not to allow a club to build a brand new squad over a summer.

I've just got a bad feeling (based on nothing) that the day before the season starts we're going to go out to the League for dispensation to play White and the other new signings and they won't grant it. Can anyone put those fears to rest for me?

Well that is certainly a rumour I have heard doing the rounds over the last couple of weeks. Let's hope it is just that. Shipping out a couple can only help I suppose, starting with Barker.

With regards to facts. It is hard to provide that. On a message board everything is opinion or rumour, unless you have physical evidence to back it up.

I could post a million things on here that I have "heard" but I choose not to. Mainly for the reason above. I have no physical evidence, just a word from several people I believe are well placed to comment on various issues at the club.

What I will say is and it maybe stating the obvious...I believe we are in a right pickle again. And Sainsbury will need to come to the rescue again in the next month or so. But then again they have done most months anyway, so whats new eh?

Last edited:

They certainly did, their wording was a matchday squad, which to me doesnt say 20 players.

In view of any type of embargo The Football League cannot allow a club to sign any new players, unless they are unable to field a team (i.e. name a matchday squad). We would consider this in context with any reason for a club’s embargo.

I wouldnt be at all surprised if some players arent registered yet, but we know with embargos how they come and go and there just needs to be one day when we are clear to get them registered I guess.

One thing that strikes me is our squad of 19 (less Barker) contains 4 youth players. I wonder if they count towards the limit, and if so because they have full contracts, whether we registered them. If it were me and I was worried about a squad cap I wouldnt be registering Pinnock/Payne etc if I thought I might need the spaces.

They certainly did, their wording was a matchday squad, which to me doesnt say 20 players.

I wouldnt be at all surprised if some players arent registered yet, but we know with embargos how they come and go and there just needs to be one day when we are clear to get them registered I guess.

One thing that strikes me is our squad of 19 (less Barker) contains 4 youth players. I wonder if they count towards the limit, and if so because they have full contracts, whether we registered them. If it were me and I was worried about a squad cap I wouldnt be registering Pinnock/Payne etc if I thought I might need the spaces.

Agreed. Perhaps another email to the FL is in order?

This is a good point. We just need to get everything cleared for one day, however with the latest winding up petition I don't think that can happen before the season starts.

The League are no doubt going to be as accommodating as possible but if there is dispensation available I just fear that they'll feel that we're abusing it. Because to me it looks like we're abusing it.

This is a good point. We just need to get everything cleared for one day, however with the latest winding up petition I don't think that can happen before the season starts.

The League are no doubt going to be as accommodating as possible but if there is dispensation available I just fear that they'll feel that we're abusing it. Because to me it looks like we're abusing it.

I cannot see the embargo being cleared before the window closes. Unless Sainsbury shell out again. So there is going to have to be a bit of juggling going on, for us to operate within the FL rules. Whether that means a 1 in 1 out policy, we will soon see I suppose. Far from ideal for Brown. But this is becoming common place every summer now at Southend unfortunately.

The thing is, I've seen a lot of things alluded to on here that suggest the Cresswell money won't be enough to get any embargo lifted. That worries me a lot, we've had a Wembley final, sold three players in twelve months (Hall, Ferdinand, Cresswell) for decent money, yet we are still unable to even raise enough cash to lift a transfer embargo. We don't appear to be running an expensive playing squad, we don't get bad crowds for this level, even if they have dipped. So what the hell would have happened if that money hadn't come in?

I don't think it's even a money issue as such. We have a winding up petition against us for a bill which has been paid but until the petition is dismissed we're under an embargo. We haven't filed our accounts with Companies House and presumably we haven't sent them to the League either so that's also an embargo. It isn't a question of getting Sainsburys to wire us some cash this time.

Like i have said elsewhere money isnt an issue when one of the embargo's is for non filing of the accounts. Not sure what the hold up is, but we are going to be desperatly short come the plymouth game

Well not filing the accounts in time just smacks of either incompetence or gives the impression we're up to something. Inexcusable.

One thing which surprises me is that it seems to be tolerated by the fans that we are under embargoes every few months and issued winding up orders.

Only when the team starts doing badly that then the opinion really gets back to the owner.

Well not filing the accounts in time just smacks of either incompetence or gives the impression we're up to something. Inexcusable.

Chances are it's a problem getting an Auditor to sign off on us being able to operate as a going concern which is because our ability to operate as a going concern is fundamentally tied in to the FF development. It's not really incompetence it's just the reality of the situation we're in.

Surely this is the sort of thing that SUISA was set up to find out on behalf of the fans. Have they asked the club?.

Susie will get the same as the trust zip, and I would guess the trust have a larger fan base at this point to back them up but not as attractive a Susie.

Susie will get the same as the trust zip, and I would guess the trust have a larger fan base at this point to back them up but not as attractive a Susie.

Well one of them should surely have asked by now.

It doesnt matter if they dont get a reply, questions can still be asked and who knows the club may actually give an answer.

We are all aware that if we are under an Umbongo and do not have enough contracted players, the FL will give us special dispensation to sign enough additional players to form the matchday squad.

But if we have enough for a matchday squad, then release players and replace them with others (to form a matchday squad M'lord), will the FL not consider it to be taking the pish somewhat?

Back