• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Embracing the national league

I echo tp21, that reads much like Orient's experiences in NL. Losing 1-6 at Bromley early in our first season - in the 11-game run without a win that did for Steve Davis - was a particular low. Many away matches where the available tickets were far fewer than the demand. Oh god, the referees.

Cheers for that point about sourcing tickets from away matches, just how difficult did you find getting tickets for away games throughout the season?

You boys are in for a big shock when you drop into the National League. After a double relegation we (Chesterfield) thought there is no way it could get any worse and it would be a doddle getting back into the EFL..couldnt of been more wrong. When your so used to losing like you are it’s extremely hard to turn around. Our first two seasons we only just survived getting relegated to the NLN...terrible start this season aswell until we got new ownership and took a chance on a Young manager and backed him with the right players which has turned out very well. Contrary to what you may believe you won’t be able to get any player you want like Michael Cheek for example because some of the tinpot clubs at this level (Solihull for example) are spending an absolute ton on players which is why its so hard to get out of this league. Adam Rooney on over 2k playing for Solihull,Cheek on a fair whack at Bromley. When you get passed the small money driven clubs then you have to take on the ex-league clubs who for example (Stockport & Wrexham) have extremely rich owners. Then the likes of us,Notts,Hartlepool,Yeovil who dont have a ton of money but more than enough to compete.

You may think because you get 4/5/6k at home you will attract the best players but you won’t as there are several clubs that pull in the same numbers that have tried and failed (Us,Notts,Stockport,Wrexham). The referees at this level are abysmal,the away followings minus the above mentioned aswell as Hartlepool are shocking. You will get beaten on a Tuesday night at home by Maidenhead and they will only bring 20 odd fans (fond memories of getting beaten 3-1 on a tuesday night by them...bringing 17 fans and singing ‘Your f***ing sh*t’ as everyone left the ground). Your players will get smashed about away at Boreham Wood by a team of 7ft giants for 90 mins. You may wonder at times how you yourself are not a National League football player with some of the quality on show.

If you can clear out all your deadwood (they won’t do a job in the National League we thought that aswell) and get off to a good start you never know...but with 1 automatic and 1 playoff it will be very tough. I wish you luck and hopefully see you next season.

Chesterfield fan coming in peace!
Thank you tp21 for your honest appraisal of life in the National League. I, for one, am certainly under no illusions and unless there are big changes, success next season may well be termed as not dropping into the National League South! The biggest shock and one of the reasons why it is so difficult to get out of the League is that, after being accustomed to three or four promotion and relegation places, we now have to adjust to one automatic place and one by the play-offs.........that's really tough.
I don't get back to the UK that often and I always try and take in an away game if possible. I did manage to get to Chesterfield in 2013 and really enjoyed my day out..............apart from the result! Gnanduillet, that tall streak of ****, getting your winner in the final minute! :Smile: Happier days for both our sides.

Cheers for that point about sourcing tickets from away matches, just how difficult did you find getting tickets for away games throughout the season?
I was thinking the same.Just looked at the National League ground guide and some grounds have very little away allocation so guess ticket availability is going g to be very small.

You boys are in for a big shock when you drop into the National League. After a double relegation we (Chesterfield) thought there is no way it could get any worse and it would be a doddle getting back into the EFL..couldnt of been more wrong. When your so used to losing like you are it’s extremely hard to turn around. Our first two seasons we only just survived getting relegated to the NLN...terrible start this season aswell until we got new ownership and took a chance on a Young manager and backed him with the right players which has turned out very well. Contrary to what you may believe you won’t be able to get any player you want like Michael Cheek for example because some of the tinpot clubs at this level (Solihull for example) are spending an absolute ton on players which is why its so hard to get out of this league. Adam Rooney on over 2k playing for Solihull,Cheek on a fair whack at Bromley. When you get passed the small money driven clubs then you have to take on the ex-league clubs who for example (Stockport & Wrexham) have extremely rich owners. Then the likes of us,Notts,Hartlepool,Yeovil who dont have a ton of money but more than enough to compete.

You may think because you get 4/5/6k at home you will attract the best players but you won’t as there are several clubs that pull in the same numbers that have tried and failed (Us,Notts,Stockport,Wrexham). The referees at this level are abysmal,the away followings minus the above mentioned aswell as Hartlepool are shocking. You will get beaten on a Tuesday night at home by Maidenhead and they will only bring 20 odd fans (fond memories of getting beaten 3-1 on a tuesday night by them...bringing 17 fans and singing ‘Your f***ing sh*t’ as everyone left the ground). Your players will get smashed about away at Boreham Wood by a team of 7ft giants for 90 mins. You may wonder at times how you yourself are not a National League football player with some of the quality on show.

If you can clear out all your deadwood (they won’t do a job in the National League we thought that aswell) and get off to a good start you never know...but with 1 automatic and 1 playoff it will be very tough. I wish you luck and hopefully see you next season.

Chesterfield fan coming in peace!
When Chesterfield came down they were handicapped by a clueless owner and one who didn't have the guts to take a risk. Ian Evatt was caretaker manager at the end of the season (I think he took charge for the last 4 matches), but ignored him when he applied for the job full time. As you know we (Barrow) took the risk and after 2 seasons he got us promoted back to the EFL. He then jumped ship to Bolton and there's a good chance he'll take them up this season too.
Chesterfield also messed up with who they retained when they went down - for example they released Sam Hird , Josh Kay and didn't tie down Brad Barry to a contract quick enough and all 3 were part of the 5 man defence that got us promoted. Hird has stopped playing now and is actually Rob Kelly's assistant manager.
you're right about the National League being one heck of a league to get out of - and it would have been worse next season as had the NLN continued moneybags AFC Fylde together with former EFL team York City would probably have been promoted.

And if you think that's bad then next season in the NLN there are;-
Chester City, Kidderminster, Boston United, York City, Hereford United, Darlington, Bradford Park Avenue, Darlington, Southport and Gateshead... all either former EFL teams or Phoenix clubs - had the league below finished Workington and heavily bankrolled South Shields would also have been there.

Last edited:
When Chesterfield came down they were handicapped by a clueless owner and one who didn't have the guts to take a risk. Ian Evatt was caretaker manager at the end of the season (I think he took charge for the last 4 matches), but ignored him when he applied for the job full time. As you know we (Barrow) took the risk and after 2 seasons he got us promoted back to the EFL. He then jumped ship to Bolton and there's a good chance he'll take them up this season too.
Chesterfield also messed up with who they retained when they went down - for example they released Sam Hird , Josh Kay and didn't tie down Brad Barry to a contract quick enough and all 3 were part of the 5 man defence that got us promoted. Hird has stopped playing now and is actually Rob Kelly's assistant manager.
you're right about the National League being one heck of a league to get out of - and it would have been worse next season as had the NLN continued moneybags AFC Fylde together with former EFL team York City would probably have been promoted.

And if you think that's bad then next season in the NLN there are;-
Chester City, Kidderminster, Boston United, York City, Hereford United, Darlington, Bradford Park Avenue, Darlington, Southport and Gateshead... all either former EFL teams or Phoenix clubs - had the league below finished Workington and heavily bankrolled South Shields would also have been there.

It's a good job we don't have a clueless owner then. Oh...

It is interesting to look back on this league when we won promotion in the then GM Vauxhall Conference in the 1991-92 season. When you see how Wycombe and Colchester slaughtered everyone else you can understand why Martin O'neill got wound up because they finished second to us on goal difference. But my main reason for posting it is to look at the other teams, since we were down there it is much tougher in terms of the teams you play, having said that only the team that won the league got promoted! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991–92_Football_Conference

It is interesting to look back on this league when we won promotion in the then GM Vauxhall Conference in the 1991-92 season. When you see how Wycombe and Colchester slaughtered everyone else you can understand why Martin O'neill got wound up because they finished second to us on goal difference. But my main reason for posting it is to look at the other teams, since we were down there it is much tougher in terms of the teams you play, having said that only the team that won the league got promoted! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991–92_Football_Conference

Wow look at some of those names. That league has changed beyond recognition.

Wow look at some of those names. That league has changed beyond recognition.
yep - I think we were the only other ex-EFL team in the League other than Colchester. Wycombe and Cheltenham hadn't made it to the league;- neither had Kidderminster, Boston United or Macclesfield - and Dagenham and Redbridge Forest were still 2 seperate teams...

As has been said, away allocation at some grounds was pretty small, so generally tickets went on sale in advance to season ticket holders only and would sell out. On at least one occasion (Braintree) the 'home' support number mysteriously increased a lot! Solihull Moors (penultimate game of promotion season) saw massive queues long before they went on sale pre-match, with a lot of disappointed people.

I’m not able to get a season ticket for various reasons, though I attend most games and have watched most games on iFollow this season. I hope the away ticketing policy is thought through and planned for, I know Bristol Rovers had fans locked out at Woking for example. I think people assume the away following will be low and they’ll have no trouble getting in but this might not be the case.

I think we would do well to listen to some of these fans of other teams who’ve been there and experienced it. Let’s please not go in naive and unprepared or we’re gonna be screwed ..... again. Let’s not underestimate how tough this will be or assume anything about this league.

I’d like to know exactly what the plan is for SUFC to survive in the NL and get out of the NL and not something scribbled on a fag packet.

Thank you Joffonon (post #177), much appreciated and just as I thought. If we are to survive next season and start any sort of on the pitch revival, then it needs the support of the fans...Obvious statement.

However, if there is an ongoing feeling of mistrust and breakdown in communication between RM and the fanbase, you usually find one action used by fans, is, (and it has been said on here recently), something along the lines of, "I am not putting any more money into his [RM's] coffers, so I am only going to away games."

The catch 22 is to get tickets for away games, you will have to be a season ticket holder to stand a chance of accessing any allocation, and thereby that action falls flat on it's face.

I always believe in providing solutions and if we do get to the stage next season, where we are no further forward and protest is the way forward, and I hope and prey we are not in that position, then looking at the club merchandise option to boycott, which would be far more effective and not detract from support of the players, which is going to be essential next season, however it turns out. Sporting older season shirts still shows the loyalty of a fan, and making an impact to the owner when a revenue stream is severed.

There can still be a "Sea of Blue" wherever we play next year home or away!!

But it just gives another reason that Stan must make some headway and as he said last night, hopefully Ron is open to a form of help that let's him get his payday from the housing side of his proposition, and allows him to get assistance to run the footballing side, with greater access too for the fans to have a positive input. Bearing in mind at 68 he is not getting any younger!

It is vital we all look at the bigger picture and pull in the same direction. whatever your feelings are towards any of the fan associations and what they have or have not been able to achieve in the past, this MUST be treated as a new dawn and Stan's experience, guidance and passion must not be wasted!

We as a fanbase must not allow ourselves to be caught up in any in-fighting amongst ourselves, but look for solution and resolution and drive this club forward to where it (and I will not use the word deserve, no football club deserves success by default) has the potential to be!

UTB

I’m not able to get a season ticket for various reasons, though I attend most games and have watched most games on iFollow this season. I hope the away ticketing policy is thought through and planned for, I know Bristol Rovers had fans locked out at Woking for example. I think people assume the away following will be low and they’ll have no trouble getting in but this might not be the case.

I think we would do well to listen to some of these fans of other teams who’ve been there and experienced it. Let’s please not go in naive and unprepared or we’re gonna be screwed ..... again. Let’s not underestimate how tough this will be or assume anything about this league.

I’d like to know exactly what the plan is for SUFC to survive in the NL and get out of the NL and not something scribbled on a fag packet.
I don’t think many of us on here think next season will be a cake walk, but our beloved leader in the last 3 seasons has proved there is nothing he can’t make worse such as late payment of bills and wages or strange managerial appointments and our old ?‍? has proved he can’t learn new tricks.

Back