• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England Cricket 2023

I made the point to my son yesterday that Carey's dodgy bit of wicket keeping has basically won Australia the Ashes as we would almost certainly have won that match otherwise and we would now be 2-1 up with 1 to play.

My son disagreed (vehemently!) because (as a wicket keeper himself) he doesn't see it as dodgy, he thinks it was brilliant wicket keeping. His argument was that if you think that was wrong then all stumpings are wrong.

My personal opinion is that it's on a par with a Mankad. Perfectly legal, but underhand.

Ridiculous that a sporting event as important to the English people as the Ashes is effectively decided by rain in Manchester (imagine that). They don't call the Superbowl a draw when it snows.
Indeed, it’s a bitter pill to swallow,but that’s Test cricket, on to the Oval and better weather fingers crossed.

Anybody who thought test matches in the UK would not be affected by rain, have not been living here long enough.

England basically lost because they picked Jimmy Anderson.

Just 4 wickets in 3 tests (only one a top 6 player) and at an average of 76 despite being given the new ball. Ouch.

Had Woakes and Wood started the series we’re probably looking at England having already regained the Ashes.

A sad way for a player to bow out.

Just 4 wickets in 3 tests (only one a top 6 player) and at an average of 76 despite being given the new ball. Ouch.

Had Woakes and Wood started the series we’re probably looking at England having already regained the Ashes.

Not sure I agree. Interestingly we actually scored more runs than Australia in the 1st two tests. The difference was the extras we gave away. That wasn't down to JA.

Always expected some of it to be affected by rain and let’s be honest we’ve won it before by losing play to the rain. But does feel a shame a series as big as the Ashes is decided by losing 1 1/2 days play to the rain.

Disagree, we lost because we made stupid mistakes in the 1st and 2nd test.

The declaration in the first test was always controversial, and only would of paid off if we got wickets, we didn’t and bowled poorly. We also missed numerous chances in the 1st test (Bairstow especially).

The second test, stupid batting cost us in the 1st innings. We was in a great position and collapsed.

It is also embarrassing people (such as Piers Morgan) crying because we drew because of the rain. Yes it’s a shame that we didn’t get the win to take it to 2-2 but we have benefited many times in the past from rain to save us.

Wood wasn’t fit though, or atleast we was told he wasn’t until game 3. Agree, woakes defo should of played at lords especially with his record there.

get over it , the Carey stumping was a good piece of W/King perfectly within the rules, If anyones to blame for you not winnng the series, to begin with blame Bairstow whose keeping is truly 2nd class ,so many extras and dropped catches and off course his brain fade and an over confident captain in the 1st test when he made that stupid declaration.. As for those that complain about the weather Pirs Morgan etc ,if you go back in history im sure youwill find that you have been saved inthe past a few times by the weather, it happens thats English weather for you .

I didn't want to put my head above the parapit and say it but your spot on Yorkie

I made the point to my son yesterday that Carey's dodgy bit of wicket keeping has basically won Australia the Ashes as we would almost certainly have won that match otherwise and we would now be 2-1 up with 1 to play.

My son disagreed (vehemently!) because (as a wicket keeper himself) he doesn't see it as dodgy, he thinks it was brilliant wicket keeping. His argument was that if you think that was wrong then all stumpings are wrong.

My personal opinion is that it's on a par with a Mankad. Perfectly legal, but underhand.
No it was the awlful catching in first two tests that cost us the Ashes

Bazball cost us in second test, normal batting would have won the game on a small score to chase

Easy to find blame on Aussie keeper, when JB tried the same tactic and missed

1000 percent agree YB
And yes sad sad way to bow out when a great player but one season too many in cut throat Ashes

get over it , the Carey stumping was a good piece of W/King perfectly within the rules, If anyones to blame for you not winnng the series, to begin with blame Bairstow whose keeping is truly 2nd class ,so many extras and dropped catches and off course his brain fade and an over confident captain in the 1st test when he made that stupid declaration.. As for those that complain about the weather Pirs Morgan etc ,if you go back in history im sure youwill find that you have been saved inthe past a few times by the weather, it happens thats English weather for you .
No sulking here and you are completely right we have. Just a shame that a big sporting spectacle such as the ashes that was really gearing up to an exciting conclusion ultimately get decided on losing a day and a half to the rain and turn into a damp squib (pardon the pun 😉)

but yes England only have themselves to blame. A few tweaks here and there and we easily could have been the team 2 up.

Sorry, I am f**king streaming and I have to get this off my chest. Love Broad. Always have. But who the f*ck does he think he is announcing his retirement at the end of day three of a decisive Ashes test match!!

So start of day four. England in such a strong position. They need to go on the pitch and play like cold hearted assassins. No no no. It’s all lovey dovey, decent chaps these Aussies forming that respectful guard of honour. Then they bowl like pussies including and especially Broad.

Well I hope there’s a right ruck in the England hotel tonight and they come out tomorrow and bowl like their lives depend on it.

Probably just get rained off and end a draw and series defeat

Sorry, I am f**king streaming and I have to get this off my chest. Love Broad. Always have. But who the f*ck does he think he is announcing his retirement at the end of day three of a decisive Ashes test match!!

So start of day four. England in such a strong position. They need to go on the pitch and play like cold hearted assassins. No no no. It’s all lovey dovey, decent chaps these Aussies forming that respectful guard of honour. Then they bowl like pussies including and especially Broad.

Well I hope there’s a right ruck in the England hotel tonight and they come out tomorrow and bowl like their lives depend on it.
Bang on U, another legend sells his soul to Sky, ok he needs the bread but the timing is nonsense just Sky wanting the big goodbye yuk.

Back