• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England - Summer 2018

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
A new thread to follow the trials and tribulations of the national side.

Starting with news that former Middlesex/Kent batsman and current TMS commentator Ed Smith is set to be named as a new national selector. Hope he can unearth a few gems...

The gems are there in my opinion, we just need to blood them and if they fail a few times keep faith
Us oldies always remember Graham Gooch career in Test matches, what a start he had, and didnot do too bad

Personally time for Cook to make way and we have to look at who will replace Broad and Anderson in the next season or two
Essex alone have a bundle of talent and I hope Sam Northeast gets he's chance, loved him at Kent and was hoping he would sign for us sadly Hampshire's gain

I'm very optimistic for the future re test matches, especially with new teams coming through like Afghanistan and even Bangladesh , ODI is the way to get crowds in and what a great day out it is, but give me a 5 day test match and I'm happy as a pig in *****

I'm very optimistic for the future re test matches, especially with new teams coming through like Afghanistan and even Bangladesh , ODI is the way to get crowds in and what a great day out it is, but give me a 5 day test match and I'm happy as a pig in *****

Not forgetting Ireland playing their first Test this summer :thumbsup:

Think Ireland will find it harder than Afghanistan in test arena, but will be interesting if Ireland can pinch one or two players on the English radar

Think Ireland will find it harder than Afghanistan in test arena, but will be interesting if Ireland can pinch one or two players on the English radar

Yeah, hopefully Ireland having Test status will lead to Irish players being more likely to play for them rather than come over to England.

We've got plenty of resources anyway and shouldn't need to take players from a nation such as Ireland. If they can get every eligible player turning out for them then they'll be stronger - which is good for the game.

I never realised that. I know he used to write for The Times occasionally (maybe he got some tips from another former Times man, Neil Harman) but I did wonder why I hadn't seen much of his written stuff of late.

Trevor Bayliss watching the occasional game of red ball county cricket wouldn't go amiss either.

I never realised that. I know he used to write for The Times occasionally (maybe he got some tips from another former Times man, Neil Harman) but I did wonder why I hadn't seen much of his written stuff of late.

Trevor Bayliss watching the occasional game of red ball county cricket wouldn't go amiss either.

England play for too many matches and spend far too much time travelling for their coach to have time to watch county cricket. Duncan Fletcher didn't use to watch it, he was going on the basis of his time with Glamorgan.

England play for too many matches and spend far too much time travelling for their coach to have time to watch county cricket. Duncan Fletcher didn't use to watch it, he was going on the basis of his time with Glamorgan.

Fletcher had a recent history in the English game to go on at least.

Where there's a will, there's a way. Does Bayliss have to be present at every single England coaching session and every single session of every single match? I'd say not.

Fletcher had a recent history in the English game to go on at least.

Where there's a will, there's a way. Does Bayliss have to be present at every single England coaching session and every single session of every single match? I'd say not.

Possibly not, but when he's working I think he probably should be with the England team rather than watching someone get a 4 ball duck at Derby.

Let someone else go and trawl the counties. With his England commitments he'll never have enough time to get a broad enough view of prospects. The last thing you want is a selector picking someone on the basis that they saw them having a good hour once. You want someone who can watch players repeatedly. This was never part of Bayliss' job description yet the England media (most of whom don't watch county cricket either) use it as a stick to beat him.

Possibly not, but when he's working I think he probably should be with the England team rather than watching someone get a 4 ball duck at Derby.

Let someone else go and trawl the counties. With his England commitments he'll never have enough time to get a broad enough view of prospects. The last thing you want is a selector picking someone on the basis that they saw them having a good hour once. You want someone who can watch players repeatedly. This was never part of Bayliss' job description yet the England media (most of whom don't watch county cricket either) use it as a stick to beat him.

What is he for then? Maybe he can spend some time teaching the Test cricketers how to bat or bowl in non-English conditions.

(Credit where it is due re our white ball cricket though; great strides being made there).

Toby Roland-Jones out for the summer. Very disappointing news - he made a decent start to life as a Test match player in 2017, was hoping to see him kick on this year.

A new thread to follow the trials and tribulations of the national side.

Starting with news that former Middlesex/Kent batsman and current TMS commentator Ed Smith is set to be named as a new national selector. Hope he can unearth a few gems...
Advice please. I know nothing about cricket and my sister in law just asked for advice on buying tickets for England v India. Her husband is Indian and she wants to buy him tickets to see one of the matches. She thinks Stubhub is her only option but its risky and expensive. They are South London based but it can be anywhere in UK and if it boils down to it can even be next year as long as she has something to give him!

Thanks in advance for words of wisdom team.

Advice please. I know nothing about cricket and my sister in law just asked for advice on buying tickets for England v India. Her husband is Indian and she wants to buy him tickets to see one of the matches. She thinks Stubhub is her only option but its risky and expensive. They are South London based but it can be anywhere in UK and if it boils down to it can even be next year as long as she has something to give him!

If she has a look at the Egbaston website I believe there are tickets available there. A quick look has shown there are tickets for the the third day. To be honest haven't looked at other days they may also be available as well.

If she has a look at the Egbaston website I believe there are tickets available there. A quick look has shown there are tickets for the the third day. To be honest haven't looked at other days they may also be available as well.

Agree with 'dloman' above.

Tickets for ODI's and T20's are very diffuclt to get and are often done by ballot. Also the London Test Matches are the same, but the other three Test Matches at Birmingham, Nottingham and Southampton might be easier. Here's the full schedule of dates :-

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-series/2619/india-tour-of-england-2018/matches

I'd say the Southampton Test Match is the one to try. Here's their website and if you scroll down and click on upcoming 'International Matches' then it will link through to buy tickets :-

https://www.ageasbowl.com/cricket/

Good luck '***'. It'll be worth it.:thumbsup:

Back