• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

number11

"Good morning everybody........"
So the main series of the summer starts today at Lords. Looks to be a pretty well balanced contest and I think we can win but will need a bit of luck with the tosses and overhead conditions. Not going to be the nicest weather for the first test and India are slow starters so we need to capitalise.

Broad v Bresnan is our only consideration. Bresnan wouldn't have been considered for a 4 man attack 12 months ago but he has come on leaps and bounds, but I think Broad will get the nod. Looking forward to following this series.

Elsewhere, James Taylor of Leicester tore apart Sri Lanka A yesterday (OK not great feat but they had a couple of their test bowlers playing). His average is now almost 50 after over 50 games and he is only 21. I think he will have to be introduced into the England fold soon so watch out for him, which is bad news for Ravi, but good news for Essex.

Four random thoughts, on which I need to do some more general reading:

(1) It would be a good toss to win, and to then insert.

(2) What do we make of the Indians' deliberate ploy of not letting Zaheer Khan bowl at Strauss in Somerset? Kidology? Might it backfire, on the basis that Strauss appeared to have got his eye in?

(3) Where's Sehwag (I'm presuming injured - how long is he out for)? What do we make of his replacement?

(4) Is there an inherent irony in the fact that India are the top ranked team in a format of the game for which, seemingly, they appear to have little regard?

Four random thoughts, on which I need to do some more general reading:

(1) It would be a good toss to win, and to then insert.

(2) What do we make of the Indians' deliberate ploy of not letting Zaheer Khan bowl at Strauss in Somerset? Kidology? Might it backfire, on the basis that Strauss appeared to have got his eye in?

(3) Where's Sehwag (I'm presuming injured - how long is he out for)? What do we make of his replacement?

(4) Is there an inherent irony in the fact that India are the top ranked team in a format of the game for which, seemingly, they appear to have little regard?

The surface is a good one apparently and it is only overhead conditions that will help the bowlers......so given teams preferfence in laying a total and the indifferent weather, Im not sure what they will do at the toss.

Given Khan didn't go to the WIndies then not letting him bowl to Strauss to get rid of rustiness, whilst allowing Strauss to feast on the other bowlers and get his eye in didn't seem too smart. Also suggests a little lack of confidence as if Khan had got Strauss out it would have been a nice psycological blow to Strauss before this test.

Sehwag is out for the first two tests, plus will also have not much time to prepare for the 3rd. Good news for England as although he has not done great with the moving ball in this country, the replacement opener will be new to these conditions as well.

Fair play to the Indian teams, whilst their fan attendance is greater for the shorter stuff, they have shown a committment to wininng series in all conditions and have battled from behind in some tough encounters with S.Africa. They have a winning mentality and gutsiness to their play which did use to be lacking from them in the 90's.

We lost the toss and bat. Looks like nice bowling weather so shame we couldnt get them in and be into them before they get accustomed to conditions over here.

Come on England!

An intriguing days play. Quite a balanced day with us probably taking only 2 wickets down in absurdly good bowling conditions, and them thinking that a couple of quick wickets puts them right on top. Saw the highlights last night and the ball was swinging more than I have seen for a long time and it is a shame our bowlers didn't get the chance to bowl in those conditions. With it meant to be improving on saturday and sunday India are likely to have the better or conditions.

Big news though is whether Khan is able to bowl or if injured how long he will be out for. In this test they only have 3 other bowlers, and for the others he is head and shoulders their best bowler so will be interesting to monitor that one......

I think England did pretty well yesterday to only be two wickets down, and were also quite lucky to only have to face 50 overs out of the possible 90. Today looks like a decent day for batting so we have the potential to get a huge score on the board - especially now that Trott is set.

215/3 - Pietersen 70*, Zaheer Khan is ruled out of this match and possibly the tour so India only have three front line bowlers, something I hope England can capitalise on.

215/3 - Pietersen 70*, Zaheer Khan is ruled out of this match and possibly the tour so India only have three front line bowlers, something I hope England can capitalise on.

Well that would be good news. I heard he wouldn't bowl first innings but they were hoping he might bowl second time around.....bit of misinformation there then! I know we should be wanting to beat the best, but sod that, we have had our fair share of injuries in the past and I'd rather we didnt have to face Zaheer Khan. Shame Trott didn't get a ton, need a big total to get on top in this game.

****ing Bell makes a pretty 30 or 40 again and gets out:headbang:

Morgan bags a duck and suddenly England are in a spot of trouble despite another ton from Capey. England need a Prior special.

I'm going on Sunday. Weather looks set fair which is a relief, and it should be a fantastic day's cricket. I fully expect the game to have moved on quite significantly by then as well :thumbsup:

A pretty good bowling performance by England in restricting the much vaunted batting line up to 286, and it could have been much better if Strauss & Swann had held two fairly regulation catches in the same Stuart Broad over. It was good to see Broad back on form. I think Strauss will want to set a target of 400-450+before declaring, and having the best part of 3.5 sessions against the Indians.

Matty Prior n/o for 103 off 120 balls? Is this 20/20? :hilarious:

It's having a No 7 like that that can be the difference between a good, and a great side. So far it's still potential, but this England squad isn't that far from making a bit of a name for itself.

Tomorrows Indian no. 7 looks like being the little master. Been a really interesting match so far. Come on England!!

Back