• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex Cricket 2012

From 184/2 we've taken 7 wickets for 57:happy:

Either that's some collapse or it's an absolute minefield and Jacques has played a blinder.

Sorry its :off topic: but for me interesting ...

Notts began with 118 and 161 in the first innings of their two matches yet won them both (they trailed by only 12 in the first and led by 32 in the second) so i don't suppose Somerset were doing cartwheels after dismissing them for 162 today .. of that Chris Read hit 104* Mr E X Tras 17 and Steve Mullaney 10

there have been 17 instances of a side being bowled out for less than 150 already (there were 44 throughout 2011) while only 2 sides have managed 400

Superb stuff from Tymal Mills 2* from 29 balls as Essex limp to 187/9

he came to the crease at 151/9 but his heroic rearguard has helped Ravi Bopara move from 80* to 105* :smiles:

Bopara ends 117* of 199

Last edited:
Essex have signed James Franklin, the New Zealand allrounder, as their second overseas player for the Friends Life t20.

Franklin, 31, joins Peter Siddle, the Australia fast bowler, in Essex's line-up and has plenty of previous experience in county cricket Gloucestershire and Glamorgan. He is currently playing in the IPL for Mumbai Indians and was also part of the Big Bash League in Australia with Adelaide Strikers.

Paul Grayson, the Essex coach, said: "We are delighted to welcome James to the club. He obviously has huge county experience having played here a few seasons. He has shown his ability in the 20-over format of the game with his outstanding IPL record. He is a genuine allrounder in this format and adds further quality to the talented and strong squad."

In his Twenty20 career Franklin has made 2086 runs at 33.11 with a high score of 90 and taken 49 wickets at an economy rate of 8.31. Essex begin their FLt20 campaign against Surrey, at The Oval, on June 13.

Good knock today for Franklin in the IPL today.

Disappointing to see our current overseas fail again. I bet he only finds form as the test series is about to start:'(

Good knock today for Franklin in the IPL today.

Disappointing to see our current overseas fail again. I bet he only finds form as the test series is about to start:'(

Not seen what Franklin has been up to but i've been most unimpressed with Petersen so far, unlike Amla who hit a ton in both his 4day and 1day debuts, the only Essex player in history to achieve such a feat :clap:

Oh feck i didn't realise Yorks had declared already and we were 19/2 :facepalm:

Petersen had a decent season at Glamorgan last season, as captain he scored over 1000runs. Cook will come back next week and I doubt if Petersen will be dropped, so Godleman will drop down the order and Westley or Wheater will be dropped.

Franklin is a decent signing for T20,and I'm looking forward to seeing Siddle in Essex colours.

Petersen had a decent season at Glamorgan last season, as captain he scored over 1000runs. Cook will come back next week and I doubt if Petersen will be dropped, so Godleman will drop down the order and Westley or Wheater will be dropped.

Franklin is a decent signing for T20,and I'm looking forward to seeing Siddle in Essex colours.

Siddle is currently injured, which I'm guessing isn't unentirely related to the signing of Franklin.

I'd drop Phillips who's injured again. Smith and Westley offer two spin options.

1. Cook
2. Peterson
3. Godleman
4. Bopara
5. Westley
6. Wheater
7. Smith
8. Foster
9. Masters
10. Chambers
11. Mills

There's still Shah, RtD, Napier and Topley to all come back into the side as well.

Siddle is currently injured, which I'm guessing isn't unentirely related to the signing of Franklin.

I'd drop Phillips who's injured again. Smith and Westley offer two spin options.

1. Cook
2. Peterson
3. Godleman
4. Bopara
5. Westley
6. Wheater
7. Smith
8. Foster
9. Masters
10. Chambers
11. Mills

There's still Shah, RtD, Napier and Topley to all come back into the side as well.

I thought Smith was more a medium pacer than spinner, but that's not a bad XI and there's a chance that Bopara will be in the side for the first test against the WIndies. I wonder if Essex will make another overseas signing for the Championship team if Petersen is selected for the Saffers later in the summer.

Smith bowls both.

I can't imagine that his spin is any worse than Phillips'.

I'd be content to have Westley as the only spin option until the pitches start to wear when Craddock will come into the reckoning.

Don't forget that Owais Shah also bowls some off-spin.....

Smith bowls both.

I can't imagine that his spin is any worse than Phillips'.

I'd be content to have Westley as the only spin option until the pitches start to wear when Craddock will come into the reckoning.

Don't forget that Owais Shah also bowls some off-spin.....

Given the current weather conditions we should see Craddock by late September. :smile:

Smith had a good season for Derby last year over 700 runs and 20 odd wickets. We look to have a reasonably strong squad for all forms of the game. I reckon that Yorks with their bowling attack should win Division 2 and Essex will be looking for the runners up spot.

I think Yorks will be too busy indulging in their traditional pastime of in-fighting to challenge, but on paper they should walk this. I think I tipped them for the County Championship last year!

Not convinced everything is OK behind the scenes at Essex either, as there must be some Westfield fall-out.

I'm pretty sure someone unfashionable like Leics/Derby/Glamorgan/Gloucs will take one spot, but can't pick who. That leaves one of K*nt and Hants to win the title, which is a pretty depressing thought.

Good point about Yorks, I had forgotten that Boycott is back on their committee that's bound to cause some infighting.

I'm not sure about Essex and the fall out from Westfield (and Kaneria).

My suggested line-up was

1. Cook Pettini (at 6)
2. Peterson
3. Godleman
4. Bopara
5. Westley
6. Wheater
7. Smith
8. Foster
9. Masters
10. Chambers Willoughby
11. Mills

So Pettini in for Cook who still isn't available (but presumably as a no.6) and Willoughby in for Chambers. Would have gone for Micklebrugh over Pettini but otherwise that seems fair enough. At least there's no Tim Phillips.

Brooks, who is opening the bowling for Northants has been named in the Lions XII (or however many they've named). Bops hasn't, which suggests he's got the test spot:thumbsup:

Essex lost the toss, and unsurprisingly were asked to bat 1st.

15/0 after 6.2 overs

EDIT - talk about jinx. 15/1 after 6.3, Petersen continues his stellar start to the season...

Back