• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex lingo.

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
60660429590701013920076.jpg

Personally I find that really offensive. They actually think people in Essex know what lafarjik means? Deary me.

They've missed the glottal stop in the middle of words - butter is bu?er

and they've missed the annoying Australian inflection at the end of the sentence so it sounds like every sentence is a question.

although these are more Estuary English than Essex.

They've missed the glottal stop in the middle of words - butter is bu?er

and they've missed the annoying Australian inflection at the end of the sentence so it sounds like every sentence is a question.

although these are more Estuary English than Essex.

Spoken like a true linguist.On the money too.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Pointless fact - my mum's cousin who only died last year at the age of 97 was born and lived for the first bit of her life in Prittlewell and spoke like she came from Norfolk.

Brilliant! Best part is they didn't include that crap from that awful TV show.

I'd rather be from Essex any day than talk like a posh ****! Can't some of crap some of them come out with whislt working in the city!

I'd rather be from Essex any day than talk like a posh ****! Can't some of crap some of them come out with whislt working in the city!

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.......

Also I don't think an accent is an excuse for a lack of vocabulary, sure it may change some pronunciation, but not the word.

Personally I find it the whole thing to be a bit of an outdated stereotype which would have gone away long ago had various aspects of the "Meeja" been intelligent enough to come of with articles and programs which did more than just pander to the lowest common denominato

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.......

Also I don't think an accent is an excuse for a lack of vocabulary, sure it may change some pronunciation, but not the word.

Personally I find it the whole thing to be a bit of an outdated stereotype which would have gone away long ago had various aspects of the "Meeja" been intelligent enough to come of with articles and programs which did more than just pander to the lowest common denominato

The vocabulary may change from region to region, but is the Essex stereotype that far away from the Geordie stereotype, maybe even the Scouse stereotype? But whereas Geordies and Scousers are seen as lovable salt-of-the-earth types by the media, is the Essex stereotype seen as fair game to be the butt of lazy jokes? To some extent the Essex joke has replaced the Irish joke and is used by people who would look down their nose at jokes about other stereotypes, except jokes about chavs which are also OK for some reason. Is all this really just a modern politically correct approved form of class snobbery or snobbery about people with the 'wrong' taste in clothes, TV programmes etc but basically still about people who don't 'know their place'

I'm immensely proud of my Saafend voice. Sadly and I kid you not, some people in Singapore thought I was American. I think I'd prefer to shoot myself first. Nuffink wrong wiv the way we speak.

Got in a cab in Vegas and the driver was adamant I was an Aussie. :stunned:

Am I the only one that struggled to understand the words, without looking at the explanations?

Complete and utter bollox.

Bunch a muggy Facking caaanntss.

When I was in the States in the early `70s - was told by a woman that I talked just like her neighbour.

I asked where this neighbour came from and was told Edinburgh :stunned:

Back