• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Are you in favour of Britain's membership of the EU?

• In.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Out.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • Bart.No opion.It depends etc

Votes: 9 11.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
United Kingdom Common Market referendum
Do you think the UK should stay in the European Community (Common Market)?

Results
Yes or no
Votes
Percentage
Yes
67.23%
No
32.77%
Valid votes
99.79%
Invalid or blank votes
0.21%
Total votes

This was the outcome in 1975 based on a 65% turn-out. It will be interesting to see what the turnout and split will be this time round. I voted yes back then and will do so again probably. I can't see the point of returning to isolationist UK, building a fresh fleet of Gunships and being more of a poodle for the US than we are now. Irony aside, I would like to be told the true un-biased cost of continued membership as it impacts on me as well as the country as a whole.

United Kingdom Common Market referendum
Do you think the UK should stay in the European Community (Common Market)?

Results
Yes or no
Votes
Percentage
Yes
67.23%
No
32.77%
Valid votes
99.79%
Invalid or blank votes
0.21%
Total votes

This was the outcome in 1975 based on a 65% turn-out. It will be interesting to see what the turnout and split will be this time round. I voted yes back then and will do so again probably. I can't see the point of returning to isolationist UK, building a fresh fleet of Gunships and being more of a poodle for the US than we are now. Irony aside, I would like to be told the true un-biased cost of continued membership as it impacts on me as well as the country as a whole.

What you voted for back then was trade union, this time will be trade and political union.
Not sure i'm following the poodle argument, as I can only think of the Americans following us into Wars pre 1975, albeit we did not get involved in Vietnam.
It could be argued that we blindly followed America into Iraq etc...being members of the EU did not stop that.
As a voter that needs to be persuaded to vote yes to stay in, I would need a lot more in terms of reasons for staying in other than big business won't like it and freedom of movement.
I have seen industries in the UK decline, fishing, car manufacturing etc over the last 30 years....big business didn't seem to bothered by that.

What you voted for back then was trade union, this time will be trade and political union.
Not sure i'm following the poodle argument, as I can only think of the Americans following us into Wars pre 1975, albeit we did not get involved in Vietnam.
It could be argued that we blindly followed America into Iraq etc...being members of the EU did not stop that.
As a voter that needs to be persuaded to vote yes to stay in, I would need a lot more in terms of reasons for staying in other than big business won't like it and freedom of movement.
I have seen industries in the UK decline, fishing, car manufacturing etc over the last 30 years....big business didn't seem to bothered by that.

In a peculiar way I think we may be violently agreeing here in that we both want to know a considerable amount more about any new deal before casting the vote. I haven't mentioned big business in my post but you may be right on business decline, although the car manufacturing industry being destroyed is not entirely down to the EU.

In a peculiar way I think we may be violently agreeing here in that we both want to know a considerable amount more about any new deal before casting the vote. I haven't mentioned big business in my post but you may be right on business decline, although the car manufacturing industry being destroyed is not entirely down to the EU.

I was musing the other day that if I were to take out all the Electrical appliances in my house on the basis that it was made abroad, what would be left and the answer was not much (Think it was a Roberts radio and Kenwood chef).
I do wonder if you reverse the argument re Jobs being at risk how many in the EU are dependant on the consumerism of the UK....for whatever reason the UK's manufacturing base has all but gone or been taken over.
I remember as a child you used to see stickers with 'buy British' on them...placed on goods, when did we swap to buy German?

Last edited:
I was musing the other day that if I were to take out all the Electrical appliances in my house on the basis that it was made abroad, what would be left and the answer was not much (Think it was a Roberts radio and Kenwood chef).
I do wonder if you reverse the argument re Jobs being at risk how many in the EU are dependant on the consumerism of the UK....for whatever reason the UK's manufacturing base has all but gone or been taken over.
I remember as a child you used to stickers with 'buy British' on them...placed on goods, when did we swap to buy German?

I'm not sure that many countries would feel the draft, but Germany certainly would. That said Japanese and German manufacturers that build here and sell in Europe would miss the market, although a large amount of Japanese and German stuff is now produced in China..........well that line of thought has totally bolloxed where I was going to take this.

So the only thing I can now say with certainty here is that I was an adult when the 'Buy British' labels were popular. Thanks for making me feel old.

I'm not sure that many countries would feel the draft, but Germany certainly would. That said Japanese and German manufacturers that build here and sell in Europe would miss the market, although a large amount of Japanese and German stuff is now produced in China..........well that line of thought has totally bolloxed where I was going to take this.

So the only thing I can now say with certainty here is that I was an adult when the 'Buy British' labels were popular. Thanks for making me feel old.

Interesting that German companies should choose to manufacture in China (assuming you are correct), when we have record unemployment in Europe.
Not very European of them.

Interesting that German companies should choose to manufacture in China (assuming you are correct), when we have record unemployment in Europe.
Not very European of them.

Siemens have manufacturing plant in China, I haven't personally seen whether Bosch and Miele do, but I would be amazed if Bosch didn't have a foothold there. I have always had Siemens white goods in the kitchen (because they were made in Germany) and recently our fridge/freezer died. We bought a new one, Siemens again, and discovered it was made in Turkey when it was installed. Nothing wrong with it, but obviously Siemens now go where it is cheaper to manufacture.

Hardly a suprise.

Although Grant Shapps did promise last year that “If the Conservative party wins the next general election, we will remove this cap [on the number of years a person can live abroad before losing voting rights] and extend it to a full right as a British citizen to vote in British elections for life,”

Far more worrying for me, is that "more than 1 million EU citizens living in Britain will not be able to vote." Although that's hardly a suprise, either.

Could well be that the Tories will be forced to accept an amendment to the bill, by Labour and the SNP, allowing 16/17 year olds to vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back