• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Evening Echo (KARERS)

Einstein

Esch Zhed Eff Schee
Haven't seen any mention of it on here today, but I noticed a small letter from Sue Steer just reinstating that there is a group called KARERS opposed to any development on Fossetts Farm.

Now always in the past the Echo seem to have been behind them, but to put her letter halfway through the paper, about 8 lines in total and very hidden in my opinion is a tad strange. Are the tides turning or am I just being too optimistic that the Echo now support SUFC proposals?

I would say we should hear news at the end of September(seeing as thats the end of summer and all!) in theory, but we shall wait and see...

Einstein

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Einstein @ Aug. 03 2004,23:13)]Haven't seen any mention of it on here today, but I noticed a small letter from Sue Steer just reinstating that there is a group called KARERS opposed to any development on Fossetts Farm.

Now always in the past the Echo seem to have been behind them, but to put her letter halfway through the paper, about 8 lines in total and very hidden in my opinion is a tad strange. Are the tides turning or am I just being too optimistic that the Echo now support SUFC proposals?

I would say we should hear news at the end of September(seeing as thats the end of summer and all!) in theory, but we shall wait and see...

Einstein
I am interested that Sue Steer reminds us that the KARERS group are still around... and wonder what her angle is here? I didn't get the Echo tonight... was there any mention that she objected about the B&Q outlet to be developed on Fossett's Farm?, or are the knives out for the club again?.

Could it be that the Council have sent out the standard developement notice about the proposed B&Q building to establish local feelings and this is the kickback?.

The KARERS group are undoubtedly aware that the B&Q clearance to develope on Fossett's leaves the door ajar for SUFC to submit its long awaited plans for the new Stadium and they are now raising their objections that by accepting B&Q, their peace and tranquility between 14:00 & 17:00 approx. every other Saturday [and the very occasional evening] will be ruined?

I hope this debate will be over quickly... it's not a good omen.  
sad.gif

The letter on Page 10 of the EE says......

The Karers group has been campaigning to stop unnecessary and inappropriate development to Fossetts Farm, Southend since the end of 2000.

We share Rochford Council's concern regarding the visual impact, the local roads not being able to cope, lack of public transport, and the effect on local wildlife.

Simply a short reminder that they are still here!

Just looked to see if they [KARERS] had posted anything on the web, but there has been nothing since February 04, unless of course you know differently...

I think it is a little odd that they bothered to place a small article in the Echo, that will only be read by a small handful of people [in the comment section!]. If they were really still concerned about these developements, then surely they'd be making themselves heard with maximum impact!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Aug. 04 2004,08:46)]Just looked to see if they [KARERS] had posted anything on the web, but there has been nothing since February 04, unless of course you know differently...

I think it is a little odd that they bothered to place a small article in the Echo, that will only be read by a small handful of people [in the comment section!]. If they were really still concerned about these developements, then surely they'd be making themselves heard with maximum impact!
We don't know, though, just what she wrote in the original letter. If that is all she wrote, then I wonder why she bothered. If she wrote a lot more and the Echo edited it, then I think that would be a good sign
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Prophet of Doom! @ Aug. 04 2004,08:26)]Simply a short reminder that they are still here!
I'd just like to shortly remind them that they can f**k right off.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Prophet of Doom! @ Aug. 04 2004,08:26)]The letter on Page 10 of the EE says......

The Karers group has been campaigning to stop unnecessary and inappropriate development to Fossetts Farm, Southend since the end of 2000.

We share Rochford Council's concern regarding the visual impact, the local roads not being able to cope, lack of public transport, and the effect on local wildlife.  

Simply a short reminder that they are still here!
I think they have a point with the roads. The traffic is a nightmare in that part of town. Are any new roads planned and if so, where?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Aug. 04 2004,09:24)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Aug. 04 2004,08:46)]Just looked to see if they [KARERS] had posted anything on the web, but there has been nothing since February 04, unless of course you know differently...

We don't know, though, just what she wrote in the original letter. If that is all she wrote, then I wonder why she bothered. If she wrote a lot more and the Echo edited it, then I think that would be a good sign  
smile.gif
Hmmm, heavily edited sounds more like it... I can't imagine the EE showing bias towards SUFC though, but if their [KARERS] previous postings on the web are anything to go by, there would be a hell of a lot of [dis]content in the letter.

Just before the season kicks off as well too...
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Aug. 04 2004,09:58)]I think they have a point with the roads. The traffic is a nightmare in that part of town. Are any new roads planned and if so, where?
I agree with you there cyril, eastern avenue and more so priory crescent is a nightmare at times which is why the council are trying to widen it. But it seems to have gone abit quiet recently on this because of the roman burial site found along this route i believe? The proposal i believe is to make priory crescent a dual carriageway which means a line of trees on the boundary of priory park have to be knocked down to incorporate this. The council have stressed that for every tree that has to be knocked down, two more will be replanted along the said route. The skarers needless to say are opposed to this, but i cant see why, they are all moaning that there is too much traffic around this area so surely the widening scheme will improve the situation. In my opinion if this widening scheme isnt given the green light then i dont think our new ground will get the go ahead either. Anyone know of the current situation regarding the widening project of priory crescent?.....
rock.gif

The widening of Priory Crescent has always been a priority of the council. But I don't think it has an impact on the FF project. Otherwise it would have been raised in the recent enquiry.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Aug. 04 2004,12:07)]The widening of Priory Crescent has always been a priority of the council. But I don't think it has an impact on the FF project. Otherwise it would have been raised in the recent enquiry.
Indeed - my understanding is that the Priory Crescent scheme is entirely independent of FF, and will go ahead regardless as part of the Council's transportation / infrastructure improvement strategy.

In other words, since it's a "given", FF automatically benefits from that expansion.

Matt

Would I be right in thinking that had SUFC's original plans gone ahead, then B&Q wouldn't have been interested in FF?

Got to smile - what would you rather have on your doorstep? A football stadium that is used for 1/2 a day 20-30 times a year or a DIY store open 8 til 8 365 days a year? Ho ho...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Joolz @ Aug. 04 2004,14:30)]Would I be right in thinking that had SUFC's original plans gone ahead, then B&Q wouldn't have been interested in FF?

Got to smile - what would you rather have on your doorstep? A football stadium that is used for 1/2 a day 20-30 times a year or a DIY store open 8 til 8 365 days a year? Ho ho...
I'd rather have the B&Q site actually. Football supporters will obviously sh*t in the gardens of near by residents 20 - 30 times a year.

At least, with B&Q, the sh*t is kept in store... on the shelves (so to speak).

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Aug. 04 2004,13:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Joolz @ Aug. 04 2004,14:30)]Would I be right in thinking that had SUFC's original plans gone ahead, then B&Q wouldn't have been interested in FF?

I'd rather have the B&Q site actually. Football supporters will obviously sh*t in the gardens of near by residents 20 - 30 times a year.

At least, with B&Q, the sh*t is kept in store... on the shelves (so to speak).

tounge.gif
[So to Speak?] Is that a cover line in case a representative from B&Q comes looking for you...
wink.gif

Of course it doesn't matter to you where SUFC play... does it!

tounge.gif

The "Save Priory Park" brigade of tree-huggers are a different bunch to the "Karers" (that is not to say some people may belong to both groups).
The Priory Park mob have meetings upstairs at the Spread and I have not seen S Steer present.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mcnasty @ Aug. 04 2004,14:18)]The "Save Priory Park" brigade of tree-huggers are a different bunch to the "Karers" (that is not to say some people may belong to both groups).
The Priory Park mob have meetings upstairs at the Spread and I have not seen S Steer present.
... and also includes the Green Party and F...riends of the Earth!.

From what I have read, KARERS are very keen to have these people on-side, but whether they ARE is another matter!.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Aug. 04 2004,14:59)]Of course it doesn't matter to you where SUFC play... does it!

tounge.gif
No... I couldn't give a flying fudge. I'm not a real supporter as I live in the Med.

Mike, Chaco, Canadian, the kilt wearer and others don't care either.

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mcnasty @ Aug. 04 2004,14:18)]The "Save Priory Park" brigade of tree-huggers are a different bunch to the "Karers" (that is not to say some people may belong to both groups).
One bloke is definitely in both groups- can't remember his name...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mcnasty @ Aug. 04 2004,14:18)]The "Save Priory Park" brigade of tree-huggers are a different bunch to the "Karers"
As Monty Burns said:

"so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and poison monkeys! Nature started the fight for survival, and now she wants to quit because she's losing. Well, I say, hard cheese"

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ Aug. 04 2004,11:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Aug. 04 2004,09:58)]I think they have a point with the roads. The traffic is a nightmare in that part of town. Are any new roads planned and if so, where?
I agree with you there cyril, eastern avenue and more so priory crescent is a nightmare at times which is why the council are trying to widen it. But it seems to have gone abit quiet recently on this because of the roman burial site found along this route i believe? The proposal i believe is to make priory crescent a dual carriageway which means a line of trees on the boundary of priory park have to be knocked down to incorporate this. The council have stressed that for every tree that has to be knocked down, two more will be replanted along the said route. The skarers needless to say are opposed to this, but i cant see why, they are all moaning that there is too much traffic around this area so surely the widening scheme will improve the situation. In my opinion if this widening scheme isnt given the green light then i dont think our new ground will get the go ahead either. Anyone know of the current situation regarding the widening project of priory crescent?.....  
rock.gif
Anglo Saxon I believe not Roman. I'm going off to cry in the corner now, see what you have done you Orx

Back