• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Family stand - swearing

Southendpier

Any chance the swearing can be stopped in the family stand? It's frankly embarrassing to hear the individuals do it and also the marshals to simply ignore it.

If you want to swear and taunt the opposition then sit in near the North stand.

Idiots.

I sit in the family stand and gotta say not really heard anything too bad, oh and by the way taunting the opposition is part of the fun chill out, in fact next time one of the opposing team comes over to take corner/throw call his name then tell him hes toilet its great.

interesting subject actually, you should have been on the terraces 20/25 years ago and checked out the language then................now that you could have complained about, compared to going to a match nowadays its like a teddy bears picnic

The pre-recorded message spoken by the child that is played before every match asks people to stop swearing in the "family enclosure". I would suggest anyone offended by swearing in that area take it up with the stewards and if that doesn't work inform Mr Jobson and let him sort it out.
No mention is made of anywhere else in the ground so I assume it's ok to swear everywhere else.

The pre-recorded message spoken by the child that is played before every match asks people to stop swearing in the "family enclosure". I would suggest anyone offended by swearing in that area take it up with the stewards and if that doesn't work inform Mr Jobson and let him sort it out.
No mention is made of anywhere else in the ground so I assume it's ok to swear everywhere else.

Most probably is and i would imagine that it is hard not to at times but if i was sitting with my wife i would feel uncomfortable if there was continuous swearing going on through out the game.

It is actually a criminal offence to swear in public and in your own home.

interesting subject actually, you should have been on the terraces 20/25 years ago and checked out the language then................now that you could have complained about, compared to going to a match nowadays its like a teddy bears picnic

The main difference between 25 years ago and now is that we had terracing with 32,000 spaces & it was easy to move to an area away from any swearing.

I have also sat in the family stand for the last 6 seasons (blocks Q & R) & not had a major problem with swearing. I wonder if the new poster means the South Stand lower section of the Family Stand or blocks Q & R in the West Stand?

totally agree.

i sit in the family stand don't think there's a major problem in there.

Any chance the swearing can be stopped in the family stand? It's frankly embarrassing to hear the individuals do it and also the marshals to simply ignore it.

Idiots.

welcome to the zone x

The main difference between 25 years ago and now is that we had terracing with 32,000 spaces & it was easy to move to an area away from any swearing.

I have also sat in the family stand for the last 6 seasons (blocks Q & R) & not had a major problem with swearing. I wonder if the new poster means the South Stand lower section of the Family Stand or blocks Q & R in the West Stand?

That would also be before Tony Blair passed the law against swearing in 2003 and it was based on his 'respect campaign', IIRC it is an £80 on the spot fine

... It is actually a criminal offence to swear in public and in your own home.

But then of course under the breach of peace acts it could be an offence to do anything in public that someone else takes offence at.

As for swearing; people swear on telly, in films, in songs, on the stage, in books, at work, in the playground, in bed, and some people swear at football matches; as far as I can see it doesn't actually hurt anybody, does it?

Also, who decides what words are acceptable and what aren't?

Last edited by a moderator:
But then of course under the breach of peace acts it could be an offence to do anything in public that someone else takes offence at.

As for swearing; people swear on telly, in films, in songs, on the stage, in books, at work, in the playground, in bed, and some people swear at football matches; as far as I can see it doesn't actually hurt anybody, does it?

Also, who decides what words are acceptable and what aren't?

Not to sure what your point is regarding a breach of the peace. A breach of the peace is not merely a disturbance, but a situation where there is an outbreak of violent behaviour, or the threat of such behaviour, and we are not talking a few Col U supporters in a different stand shouting abuse.

I do not personally find swearing offensive at all but i know my wife does a lot. As i said, if it was just me i would probably not even notice it but if my wife was with me it would to me be offensive. My father always brought me up with those sort of values....you know the walking on the road side when you are with your wife, opening doors and all that type of thing.

Yes swearing is common place but that does not mean that it is not a public order offence punishable by a on the spot fine....not my rules, Mr Blairs rules.

Idiots.

Moved from South Lower last season to East for this season. Didn't notice too many problems with excessive swearing/abuse in South Lower but when there was a problem it would be from young teenagers trying to look big.

East was a different story: real issue with some of the idiots behind us who really took the abuse of players/fans/officials to new levels whilst the stewards looked on and tried to ignore it.

Have now moved to South Upper: really good atmosphere, funny banter and just a more relaxing environment.

I sit in the family stand and gotta say not really heard anything too bad, oh and by the way taunting the opposition is part of the fun chill out, in fact next time one of the opposing team comes over to take corner/throw call his name then tell him hes toilet its great.

Haha that's a gud'dun! and theres the the "arrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhh you're s***! bleurggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" for about 5 minutes

I agree that swearing should be avoided in the family enclosure as it is obviously full of a lot of young and impressionable children and (hopefully) prospective new fans.

However in all other areas of the ground I do not see the problem if someone uses a bit of bad language when showing their passion for their team. As long as this does not escalate into constant abuse of our players or management then it can be seen as someone showing how much they care. I swear quite a lot during watching the mighty Blues and I'm not really proud of it but I cant help it at times coz I care that much how the game turns out.

I've said on here before that by banning swearing and the insistence of stewards making us sit down every 5 seconds is killing the atmosphere at the Hall.

The West Stand stewards need to realise they're not wanna-be coppers on a power trip and let us get behind our team and create an atmosphere. No one says anything to the away fans each week so why ruin the fun for us.

I dont have a problem with swearing, by for goodness sake if you know you do it, dont sit in the family stand, its not massive, but its there for a reason, let it be used for that

The short answer is - ITS A FOOTBALL GROUND!!!
What do you expect. Its like going to an away game and telling the fans to stop singing because its too loud. Why should people have to move to more expensive seats just so they can say what they want, all because of a word that someone doesnt like.

I sit in the south lower and could say the same about the kids who run around and constantly scream.

OH idiots.

i sit in lower south with the boy and the swearing has been better this season - no problem all ****ing bollox tbh :)

You get a right lot of fannies turning up to football matches these days. Oooo I can't handle the swearing etc... Are you telling me that you were the only one at layer road who wasn't calling Duguid a seeyounexttuesday- and a big one at that!

With that, it's not acceptable in a family stand

Last edited:
The short answer is - ITS A FOOTBALL GROUND!!!
What do you expect. Its like going to an away game and telling the fans to stop singing because its too loud. Why should people have to move to more expensive seats just so they can say what they want, all because of a word that someone doesnt like.

I sit in the south lower and could say the same about the kids who run around and constantly scream.

OH idiots.

Are you being serious? It's a family stand, which means you should have kids with you. That's why it is cheaper!!! It is not called a family stand so two 45 year old relatives can sit next to each other and swear their heads off.

I swear like a trooper, all day, every day. It is one of my favourite hobbies. But I do not swear in front of my kids (although the occasional swear word does creep out) and I NEVER swear in the family stand as I know that some families do not want their kids to hear any swearing. You could say they are naive as they will certainly hear some in school as they get older.

If you want to swear, or sing abusive songs, pay the extra money and go into the normal stands. Even better, don't do it at all!

Nothing against banter but some people go OTT and we need to get rid of this yobbish culture once and for all!

Looking at some of the comments about the goings on from, albeit a very small section of our 200 strong crowd at the Scunthorpe game, it looks like we need to at least try to do something.

Back