• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

southend4ever

I used to play a little.
Once again,

this year I cannot attend the first few games because of the overlapping cricket season.

However, it is evident that following our highly successful season last year we are once again tipped to be relegation favourites. We cannot wholely expect the same type of success as last season.

It is for this reason when we have a team of gelled players that are highly confident it amuses me to read offensive comments towards players abilities and questioning them after 3 games in.

Is this truly deserved? Or once again is it the example of your average fickle football fans who are too quick to pick up on the negative attributes and give praise a miss when earnt?

Please justify Freddy Eastwood comments in particular?

You are free to speak... go ahead...

I thought it was all gonna kick off to the side of me saturday. Some guy was slagging off Maher 8 and 2 people in front of him had a go at him telling him to shut up.Then they started a Maher 8 song and him and the people he was with moved. Anyone see this??

i was right near that incident. Football is all about opinions and i thought the lads infront who all ganged up on this one guy were out of order. Fair enuf maher did play well against bradford and he wasnt that bad saturday but everyone has the right to their own opinion right? The Geezer who was abused by the lads is Duncan Jupp's Cousin husband i think.
Plus one other thing is why keep goin on after the argument had finished with little comments bout maher just childish. (Had a few drinks I think) and thought they cud take on the world. WELL WE ARE ALL SOUTHEND SUPPORTERS SO GET ALONG!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (southend4ever @ Aug. 15 2005,12:31)]Once again,

this year I cannot attend the first few games because of the overlapping cricket season.

However, it is evident that following our highly successful season last year we are once again tipped to be relegation favourites. We cannot wholely expect the same type of success as last season.

It is for this reason when we have a team of gelled players that are highly confident it amuses me to read offensive comments towards players abilities and questioning them after 3 games in.

Is this truly deserved? Or once again is it the example of your average fickle football fans who are too quick to pick up on the negative attributes and give praise a miss when earnt?

Please justify Freddy Eastwood comments in particular?

You are free to speak... go ahead...
Why should anyone have to justify their comments to you?

Football is about opinions and most people are stating that its quite obvious that Freddy is out of sorts at the moment - I dont think for one moment that anyone is slagging him off. A few of us may be suggesting a spell on the bench if the run continues, which is more than fair enough and is totally what having a competitive squad is all about.

Eastwood is a very good prospect, but he isnt Johnny Golden b******s...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Aug. 15 2005,20:24)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Eastwood is a very good prospect, but he isnt Johnny Golden b******s...
True but closer to johnny golden b******s then most in the last few years!
Now that I will agree on!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (GodblessArthurRowley @ Aug. 15 2005,21:33)]Johnny Golden B******s now he was a player wish we'd have signed him when we had the chance.
Only had one-leg though. His turning circle was fantastic but his attempted sprints through the midfield were less so ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Aug. 15 2005,21:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (GodblessArthurRowley @ Aug. 15 2005,21:33)]Johnny Golden B******s now he was a player wish we'd have signed him when we had the chance.
Only had one-leg though. His turning circle was fantastic but his attempted sprints through the midfield were less so ...

WS
Waiting for someone to bring Maher 8 into this
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Aug. 15 2005,21:49)]Waiting for someone to bring Maher 8 into this
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
I am your man...

Now, I wasn't there Saturday so I can't comment but this sounds similar to a minor situation I experienced at Blundell Park on that horrible day. Yes, I know we were all keyed up at Grimsby, but to be abused for muttering "Maher" and putting your head in your hands after one too many negative/misplaced pass isn't really on, particularly whilst Kev blamed his nearest team-mate for it.

It seems to me that the pro "King Kev" guys won't hear a word against him despite him being the usual catalyst for how we perform on any given day (please refer to various threads posted after the Vale defeat). Now, I'm not condoing, in any way, abuse of our players, this bunch are by far & away the best we've had in 15 years but I think we need to get away from this "us against us" mentality.

Our captain can be (& very often is) one of our best players (as his cross for The Goat illustrates) but he can also be one of the most frustrating. Now, call me blinkered but I would say anyone who makes an away trip of 2+ hours loves Southend United & lets that passion bubble over into anger when things don't go 100% to plan is not overtly criminal. Yes, have a quiet word if certain players are being abused through a lack of football intellect but not if it's a quiet moan to themselves or the person next to them at the 10th misplaced pass in a row from someone who is capable of better.

Now, before anynoe wants to second-guess me I am not anti-Maher, I see what he can bring to our style of play. It's the lack of leadership that gets to me mostly, but that's an argument for a different time, different day.

PS: Not so sure about the Maher-8 hotkey thing. To quote Monty Python, "stop that, it's silly"

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Aug. 15 2005,20:10)]
its quite obvious that Freddy is out of sorts at the moment -
Quite obvious because.....? He hasn't scored?

There is no straight-forward answer to all of this. Football will always be about opinions and it's one of the pleasures of the game. Some will see the team through rose-tinted glasses. Others will watch with pessimism. But we're all there to watch the team we love.

At every game, I hear comments about players that I don't agree with - but if the guy behind me chooses to talk to his mate about a player's shortcomings, it isn't up to me to turn around and correct him if I don't agree. He has his opinion, I have mine. If it's someone I know, then we can discuss it - and agree to differ.

I draw the line (as do most) when the comments are directed LOUDLY at the players since it has then become counter-productive. I didn't witness the incident concerning Maher but as far as I'm concerned, if a member of the crowd shouts abuse at a player, I would support any similar abuse directed at that member of the crowd.

Most of our managers have picked Maher and he was in the League 2 team picked by the players themselves so that is all you need to know to end any argument. What do the fans know?

And shame on all of you for the Eastwood 'bashing'.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Prodigal Son @ Aug. 16 2005,08:41)]Most of our managers have picked Maher and he was in the League 2 team picked by the players themselves so that is all you need to know to end any argument. What do the fans know?

And shame on all of you for the Eastwood 'bashing'.
Yeah, but apart from last season, think of the dross we've had as a 1st team squad. I'm not detracting at from his ability but is it any wonder that KM has been picked consistently since 1997?

Oh & it's simple for Eastwood to start scoring, he simply needs to change his name to Geastwood, seeing as all our goals so far have come from Gray, Goater & own Goal
biggrin.gif
wow.gif
suspect.gif

Just trying to say the pros know best.
Still can't understand the Eastwood bashing.This may set the cat amongst the pigeons but Barrett has looked average so far. Time for him to go on the bench when Prior returns?Personally I don't think so.
Somehow that will never get mentioned on this site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Prodigal Son @ Aug. 16 2005,09:58)]Just trying to say the pros know best.
Still can't understand the Eastwood bashing.This may set the cat amongst the pigeons but Barrett has looked average so far. Time for him to go on the bench when Prior returns?Personally I don't think so.
Somehow that will never get mentioned on this site.
Even though we have had weeks on here of bemoaning the lack of strikers in the squad, judging by Wayne's performances in the 1st 3 matches, any club in our division would welcome our particular selection headache. Any 2 of the combinations of our 3 strikers (with the other ready & raring to come on to change the game if we're chasing it) is more than solid. Eastwood WILL come good, no doubt about it, as all strikers go through a barren spell, here's hoping the ball will bounce in off his shin or knee against Huddersfield to get him up & running, just in time to dump Harry out ofthe Carling Cup.

Having only seen the FLR goals so far this season (other than the Norwich pre-season), yes Barrett was off-colour v Port Vale & possibly went missing for one of the Walsall goals but judging by various comments on here, is surely not in line for the chop when Spinner is fit again. We do definitely need to tighten up a bit at the back though as silly mistakes at this level could cost us.

Most of the teams that we have played so far have praised Gray, and i'm not suprised. He has done so well so far, and with him playing like this it could be an interesting season!!

Many people say football is a game of opinions and they're right, everyone is entitled to their opinion and also to voice it, but if they do this to the detriment of the team then that is unacceptable.

IMO Eastwood hasn't been too bad lately, it's just he's lacking composure and confidence in fromt of goal, while Maher has been a bit hit and miss. I'm sure Eastwood will score again soon...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ Aug. 16 2005,10:37)]Many people say football is a game of opinions and they're right, everyone is entitled to their opinion and also to voice it, but if they do this to the detriment of the team then that is unacceptable.
Yeah, but isn't it also unacceptable for other supporters to turn on their own when they're not being loud & outspoken in their criticism & frustration?

Back