• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fans returning to stadiums put on hold.

Which is my point. We are treating it EXACTLY as if it were the 1665 Great Plague or the 1920 Spanish Flu.
Totally agree with what you say about hand washing and social distancing; who possibly couldn't? My issue has been around the marginal (if any) benefits of masks. I don't wish to labour the point and I am not the devil incarnate, but all I am saying is that masks became compulsory in all shops at a time (July), when cases were low and mortality even lower.
This is after an earlier missive from the World Health Organisation stating that masks were of limited benefit.
Well for whatever reasons, cases have increased significantly in the last two to three weeks and I personally think the increase would have been the same with or without masks. Just a personal view having read a number of articles on both sides of the fence, I wish we had remained at the scenario pre- March lockdown. Shielding the vulnerable and elderly and frail; everyone else social distance, wash hands and use COMMON SENSE.

Unfortunately,while lockdowns (whether local or national) are certainly medieval as a tactic, we don't have a better defense against the virus until a vaccine comes along.

I am not old enough to know how the plague and Spanish flu were treated but I doubt we are treating this pandemic as such. Nor that of typhus.

A "limited benefit " of wearing a mask is better than none? Is it not?

2 meter distance is also a limited benefit? Is it not?

I don't know what is so hard for people to just get on with, why the bickering?

Get used to it.

We have had poor advice, poor examples, poor management, profiteering, greed and without a doubt huge uptake of selfish "I'm alrght Jack" and some.
Some "okay, pull together" would be welcomed.

I am not old enough to know how the plague and Spanish flu were treated but I doubt we are treating this pandemic as such. Nor that of typhus.

A "limited benefit " of wearing a mask is better than none? Is it not?

2 meter distance is also a limited benefit? Is it not?

I don't know what is so hard for people to just get on with, why the bickering?

Get used to it.

We have had poor advice, poor examples, poor management, profiteering, greed and without a doubt huge uptake of selfish "I'm alrght Jack" and some.
Some "okay, pull together" would be welcomed.
Well said Massimo, I totally agree. :Clap:

Well said Massimo, I totally agree. :Clap:
We are over 60, my mother in law is in her 80s, I have, nowadays, just a few other older relatives in 80s and 90s, some once again virtually locked away.
BUT I am too aware that for some a bit of covid will be the end of them, and that accidents happen and they get ill, AND the NHS is stretched, very stretched, SO I am almost at a state of utmost disdain for those that can't or won't grasp that every person needs to do their bit as best they can, as much as they can, so that this time passes as quick and painlessly as it can.

The WHO have now said an asymptomatic person doers not pass it on to others.

Yes I never knew what tat meant either.....Its their sneaky way of saying if you are positive but have no obvious symptoms then you do not pass it on.

So that ends all arguments, ditch your mask have a party but just make sure no one with the flu gets invited......All we need at RH is a few stewards taking temperatures and we could have 10,000 crowds.

The smart people on here already no this because infection rates were going down without masks earlier in the summer. If you could pass it on that easy in public then every single shop worker would have it by now. On busy Sundays my local corner shop has over 1000 people through the door.....Its smaller than the bar the West stand
kiosk.

The smart people on here already no this because infection rates were going down without masks earlier in the summer.

Be fair mate, that’s more to do with the fact that most people were in lockdown, furloughed or working from home. That’s why the infection rate dropped.

I’m not an advocate for a second lockdown - far from it - but if that’s not a preference, and masks aren’t a preference... then what do some people want?

I asked @Stuart W yesterday what his idea of protecting the vulnerable looked like, so we could all go about our lives, and I’m genuinely intrigued to hear the answer.

Be fair mate, that’s more to do with the fact that most people were in lockdown, furloughed or working from home. That’s why the infection rate dropped.

I’m not an advocate for a second lockdown - far from it - but if that’s not a preference, and masks aren’t a preference... then what do some people want?

I asked @Stuart W yesterday what his idea of protecting the vulnerable looked like, so we could all go about our lives, and I’m genuinely intrigued to hear the answer.
That would be one hell of a quality of life for those being shielded...what’s the inference, they’ve lived their lives so it’s our turn? What criteria would you use? Age, health? I’m sick of reading bull**** conspiracies, in fact reading about Covid full stop .. like you say there won’t be a second lockdown in the same way so people just have to get used to the fact we have to wear masks for 6 months or so. It’s a pain but to be honest I want to return to work (and football matches) and the less people just take a few precautions the longer that’ll be.

If you follow the latest from WHO, then supermarkets would be better of taking temperature and asking the normal "Have you been around someone with the symptoms" questions.

A person with symptoms but wearing a mask is more dangerous than someone positive, wearing no mask but with no obvious signs.

People are far more likely to isolate with specific advice and if there really is a problem. A blanket ban on visiting relatives, masks for 6 months and millions losing their jobs...Will not only fail miserably, cause 1000's of other deaths, it will also end up spreading any virus because people will have dropped precautions at the most vitle time for them personally.

Hullbridge did do a temperature test but Grays did not.....Only a few of the old boys did have a mask on.

If you follow the latest from WHO, then supermarkets would be better of taking temperature and asking the normal "Have you been around someone with the symptoms" questions.

Retail staff asking customers if they’ve been around people with symptoms, is akin to websites asking people to confirm they’re 18 or over. Even if they’re not, they’re still going on that jazz website.

A person with symptoms but wearing a mask is more dangerous than someone positive, wearing no mask but with no obvious signs.

I’m not across that, so I don’t know.

But it’s unlikely I’m about to be getting up close and personal with someone who is positive.

People are far more likely to isolate with specific advice and if there really is a problem. A blanket ban on visiting relatives, masks for 6 months and millions losing their jobs...Will not only fail miserably, cause 1000's of other deaths, it will also end up spreading any virus because people will have dropped precautions at the most vitle time for them personally.

Hullbridge did do a temperature test but Grays did not.....Only a few of the old boys did have a mask on.

Agreed.

What did you make of Parkside then? Not a bad little ground I thought.

Retail staff asking customers if they’ve been around people with symptoms, is akin to websites asking people to confirm they’re 18 or over. Even if they’re not, they’re still going on that jazz website.

I’m not across that, so I don’t know.

But it’s unlikely I’m about to be getting up close and personal with someone who is positive.

Agreed.

What did you make of Parkside then? Not a bad little ground I thought.

Yes first time at the ground, funded by selling their old one?

Grays sold their ground but what happened to the money?

Well it's funny how it took four months (March to July), for the collective brains of the so called "World Health Organisation", SAGE (or is it SAGA?), and about 50% of epidemiologists to persuade the government to make masks mandatory in all shops.
But if it makes you feel happier wearing one, then so be it.

If you go back to the start of pandemic you will recall that health staff were advised to wear masks but there was a widespread shortage of PPE for them.

The WHO have now said an asymptomatic person doers not pass it on to others.

Yes I never knew what tat meant either.....Its their sneaky way of saying if you are positive but have no obvious symptoms then you do not pass it on.

So that ends all arguments, ditch your mask have a party but just make sure no one with the flu gets invited......All we need at RH is a few stewards taking temperatures and we could have 10,000 crowds.
How does it work with people, early stage, that have the virus and as such are at the most infectious period for a few days, before the symptoms manifest, and the person falls ill then becoming knowingly covid positive?
And how, where, under what conditions did the WHO run these tests?
Too many unknown risks, which if taking simple precautions reduce, like wash, space, face mask then, for me, the inconvenience is hardly a theft of liberty.
Hindsight is marvellous, learning from mistakes is also good.
There seem too many unknowns at present for complacency to "carry the day".

How does it work with people, early stage, that have the virus and as such are at the most infectious period for a few days, before the symptoms manifest, and the person falls ill then becoming knowingly covid positive?
And how, where, under what conditions did the WHO run these tests?
Too many unknown risks, which if taking simple precautions reduce, like wash, space, face mask then, for me, the inconvenience is hardly a theft of liberty.
Hindsight is marvellous, learning from mistakes is also good.
There seem too many unknowns at present for complacency to "carry the day".
Unless you have a highly effective track, trace and test system the your first para highlights the problem.

Yes first time at the ground, funded by selling their old one?

Grays sold their ground but what happened to the money?

Yeah Aveley’s old ground was literally across the road, where the new housing estate stands. Part of the planning process involved the club having a new stadium built, in order to have the property developed on that site... sound familiar?

As for Grays though, things weren’t so rosey. I have no idea what happened to the money, but the former owner has been blamed by most people... at least from the stories I’ve heard. He flogged the ground and properties were built on it, but no new home for Grays ever materialised.

Again, I have no real clue as to what happened.

All I know is, Mick Woodward - the former owner in question - was a very unlucky guy at times. I remember Grays played an F.A. Cup game which drew a record attendance in their recently renovated stadium. But would you believe it, whilst the days takings were being put into the back of a motor outside the stadium, some careless person forgot to do something inside, so they popped back into the ground, and left the takings in an unlocked motor.

Some lucky opportunist just happened to be passing by, had a peep in the car, and took took the lot.

How’s your luck eh?

Have I missed something? When did WHO announce that asymptomatic people can't pass the virus on?

The best I can find is a WHO scientist back in June said it was possible that transmission from asymptomatic people was 'rare' but they retracted that claim saying it was a 'miscommunication' and they don't have enough data to make that conclusion. In addition 'asymptomatic' in the context the scientist was talking about refers to people who genuinely never develop symptoms, people that have got the virus but haven't had it for long enough to feel ill yet do not count as asymptomatic, which means masks indoors would still be advisable to stop people that have only recently caught the virus passing it on before realising they are sick.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/09/who-comments-asymptomatic-spread-covid-19/

Yeah Aveley’s old ground was literally across the road, where the new housing estate stands. Part of the planning process involved the club having a new stadium built, in order to have the property developed on that site... sound familiar?

As for Grays though, things weren’t so rosey. I have no idea what happened to the money, but the former owner has been blamed by most people... at least from the stories I’ve heard. He flogged the ground and properties were built on it, but no new home for Grays ever materialised.

Again, I have no real clue as to what happened.

All I know is, Mick Woodward - the former owner in question - was a very unlucky guy at times. I remember Grays played an F.A. Cup game which drew a record attendance in their recently renovated stadium. But would you believe it, whilst the days takings were being put into the back of a motor outside the stadium, some careless person forgot to do something inside, so they popped back into the ground, and left the takings in an unlocked motor.

Some lucky opportunist just happened to be passing by, had a peep in the car, and took took the lot.

How’s your luck eh?

Yes I played at the old Aveley ground a couple of times in the Thursday league. Do you know the costs for that new stand?

What is happening with Thurrock, I read someone had bought the land. Will they develop or go back to Football?

Yes I played at the old Aveley ground a couple of times in the Thursday league. Do you know the costs for that new stand?

What is happening with Thurrock, I read someone had bought the land. Will they develop or go back to Football?

How did your ankles & knees feel after that? I remember it wasn’t exactly a green baize.

No idea of the costs mate, but it can’t have been overly expensive. I like it though, and as far as non-league grounds go, it’s a nice little setup, which brings the club money in, when there’s no games on. As it’s a plastic pitch, they also rent the stadium out, which again chucks a few quid in the coffers.

And as for Thurrock (or Purfleet in old money), they are gone for good, as far as I know. Haven’t heard anything about a revival, but I remember about a year ago, there was talk of it becoming a community football facility with plastic pitches.

You mean apart from the gagging on your own hot breath, the steamed up glasses, the depersonalisation of everyone, the wearing of them under the chin and then putting it back over your mouth (yes, very hygienic), and the lack of any scientific evidence that they are preventing the spread.
Also, with the knowledge that flu cases and indeed flu deaths are running at up to a factor of four times greater than those of Covid-19, tell me of any time in your lifetime when we were required to wear a face nappy during the flu season?
Just one of many pieces that support the wearing of masks with opinions by experts in positions I would trust rather trust than doubt (if it means possibly protecting others should I unknowingly have the virus): https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/4...s-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent

Yes, I am sure you can find links to the contrary that quote people with medical letters after their names, too. My point is your statement in bold above is utter rubbish.

I guess you'd rather stand a chance of putting others at risk rather than suffer steamy specs. as for gagging on your own breath, maybe try using mouthwash.

Back