• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fans (so called) slagging off our own players

I had some guy behind me slagging off pretty much every single player for 90 minutes. The trouble is that the players really were as bad as they were being accused of being.

I hope yesterday was just a bad day at the office. If it wasn't then Roots Hall is not going to be a very fun place to be around for the next few months.

you will always get people slagging of players, i have a bloke behind me, every year he picks on a player. the year its the turn of grant. we are ot talking of a young guy but a 60 year old.
he has been behind for over 8 years, what a pain.

bring back tilly!!!!!

Well, I'm sorry, but in my opinion that's incredibly harsh on a number of players who, up until yesterday, looked to be useful acquisitions. We'll ignore Barker as he's on loan, but Clohessy, Easton, Simpson, Corr, Prosser and Zaaboub have all shown glimpses of ability to work with. Yes, it was a nightmare yesterday, but to judge them on the back of one dreadful performance is just as reckless as waxing lyrical about them following their excellent showing against Bristol.

Like I said earlier in the thread, we have four tough league games in succession now and if we're to have any chance of encouraging a good team spirit here, we need to get right behind the team while they're giving it their all.

Apart from Barker and Simpson (who are both on loan and appear to have some idea of what they are doing), Grant and Morris, I think they are all very lucky to be earning a living as professional footballers.

Yes I was! Lets be honest, the football under Tilson in the last few seasons was hardly samba stuff was it? Last season in particular was awful - and yes, I know there were contributing factors, but we've played much better football under Webb and Fry and that holds about as much relevence to Sturrocks team as it does to Tilsons last year given the changes.

We played some good stuff in the first couple of seasons, mainly due to having players that could entertain, the Gowers, Eastwoods, JCRs of this world - I think we have the signs of that in this side, with Zaaboub, Hall and I'm positive Easton is a better player than is being shown at the moment, but it is going to take time. Zaaboub and Hall are struggling for match fitness and the rest of the team are still virtual strangers. Give em a chance!

On the flip side, Sturrock knows how to get out of this division and whilst yes, Tilson's side did it with a bit of style with the players he had at his disposal, but would anyone here NOT take going up with a bit of kick and rush?

The only surprise for me Saturday is that we didnt match Vale's strength. They were a very strong side and it was one of the things Sturrock said we had to be in this division - and I thought with Phillips, Barker, Grant and Corr - we had the basis of a side there that could compete physically - but the decision to leave Phillips and Corr out against Vale was a surprise.

Sturrock is learning about this side as much as we are and as others have said, its going to take 10-12 games before we know anything like where we are at. By that time, I'd imagine the East Stand will be ablaze, the moaning West Bankers will be pulling up the goal posts and the Sturrock family will have a public crucificition on the centre spot...

all best wishes to Sturrock and his large squad of quickly assembled out of contract players BUT when RM destroyed our team last season this was the only outcome -

Without doubt Tilson produced quality teams with good players - thats why he was successful - and now we are living RMs dream - lge 2 rubbish - but salery cap and football on the cheap - enjoy

its great to see so many honest professionals who worked with Tilson flourishing at League One or above -

Eastwood
MacDonald
Paynter
Hooper
Gower
JCR
Baily
Macca
Francis
Barrett
Moussa
OKeefe
Revell

even Harrold is finding a lge 2 niche -

I hope Sturrocks mob get it together but RM undid years of hard work that went into building SUFCs
reputation - a brilliant progressive football club has been turned into a mickey mouse scam machine -

best of luck to Southend United FC but RM didn't just break a few contracts and bin off Tilson - he destroyed a whole load of things, aspirations, hopes, dreams, respect, pride -

what we are left with is appalling

I brought up the style of football issue when Sturrock was appointed because I was pretty sure we wouldn't be playing too man pretty triangles. The consensus from the thread I started was that people didn't care how we played as long as we won matches.

No one would bat an eyelid if we were playing hoofball but had seven or nine points on the board.

I brought up the style of football issue when Sturrock was appointed because I was pretty sure we wouldn't be playing too man pretty triangles. The consensus from the thread I started was that people didn't care how we played as long as we won matches.

No one would bat an eyelid if we were playing hoofball but had seven or nine points on the board.

not just the football but our reputation as a good footballing club - a good place for Arsenal Chelsea Spurs Sunderland to send young players - a club serious about progressing from league 1 - a great place for players and fans to be at -

now ???

Bloke along from us was slagging Coughlan off first touch of the ball he had yesterday - outrageous after the performance he gave against Bristol City. Moan if you must once it's clear which way the game is going but at least give them a chance from the off.

not just the football but our reputation as a good footballing club - a good place for Arsenal Chelsea Spurs Sunderland to send young players - a club serious about progressing from league 1 - a great place for players and fans to be at -

now ???

I think you overstate that, to be honest. If we were winning matches then the feelgood factor would come with it. As for our reputation with other Clubs then I guess we have to see how that pans out. Sturrock has spoken about getting in a loanee striker so we'll see if we are pariahs in the footballing World soon enough.

My personal feelings on all this is that the bubble has well and truly burst on the SUFC dream and I don't see it coming back any time soon (although as said I think a few wins would do wonders). We're back on the merry-go-round like all those other Clubs out there with journeymen managers and journeymen players. I'd have stuck with Tilson in any division no matter what, mainly because he was fundamental to a footballing identity which this Club had over the past few years. I don't subscribe to the opinion that this bunch of players aren't 'our' players anymore but this is definitely a very different era for us all now.

On the flip side, Sturrock knows how to get out of this division and whilst yes, Tilson's side did it with a bit of style with the players he had at his disposal, but would anyone here NOT take going up with a bit of kick and rush?

Do you really think we'll get out of this division with our current set up? With perhaps the exception of Grant, none of the current team would've got in our 2004/05 promotion side under Tilson. We are nowhere near good enough to get promoted from this division under Sturrock at the moment.

It seems way too early to be forming opinions on the ability, or lack of, of this squad of players. They were pants on Saturday but Sturrock is a good manager and he knows most of the players. If he thought that that was their usual level of performance then you've got to hope that he wouldn't have signed them.

It seems way too early to be forming opinions on the ability, or lack of, of this squad of players. They were pants on Saturday but Sturrock is a good manager and he knows most of the players. If he thought that that was their usual level of performance then you've got to hope that he wouldn't have signed them.

Yea, from what he said Saturday night, you'd think he was far, far from happy with the performance and the fact he didnt speak to the media till nearly 6 makes you think they were looked in and faced some home truths.

Yea, from what he said Saturday night, you'd think he was far, far from happy with the performance and the fact he didnt speak to the media till nearly 6 makes you think they were looked in and faced some home truths.

The home truth is that most of them aren't good enough. You can tell them that 'til you're blue in the face, but they still won't be good enough.

Apart from Barker and Simpson (who are both on loan and appear to have some idea of what they are doing), Grant and Morris, I think they are all very lucky to be earning a living as professional footballers.

Mick, do we know they have been/ are being paid then ? Sturrock said on the radio that the players didn't deserve to get their wages - does he know something we don't ?

Mick, do we know they have been/ are being paid then ? Sturrock said on the radio that the players didn't deserve to get their wages - does he know something we don't ?

Hey, there's one for the conspiracy theorists!

Incidentally, after Barnets 7-0 thrashing at Crewe on Saturday the Barnet players donated their weekly wages to the Supporters club. That's an acknowledgement of just how bad they must have been and to be fair I think our lot should do something like that. If it hurts in the pocket they are less likely to put that minimal amount of effort in again.

Incidentally, after Barnets 7-0 thrashing at Crewe on Saturday the Barnet players donated their weekly wages to the Supporters club. That's an acknowledgement of just how bad they must have been and to be fair I think our lot should do something like that. If it hurts in the pocket they are less likely to put that minimal amount of effort in again.

Nice one FBM - maybe the Trust will get its money back then ?!;)

These threads about fans slating and berating players are really frustrating.

This team needs at least 10 games, and after 10 games, thats 36 games left in the league isn't it?
Even after 10 games, if we lose 10 in a row, doesn't say that we are definitely relegated.
Losing hurts, don't get me wrong, but 'booing' is absolutely ridiculous, I find booing a very odd thing to do, you pay your dough to get in, so if you want to boo then do, but I really don't get it.
And booing after 3 games...bloody 'ell!

To be fair, a 7-0 thrashing is rather different to a 3-1 defeat!

These threads about fans slating and berating players are really frustrating.

This team needs at least 10 games, and after 10 games, thats 36 games left in the league isn't it?
Even after 10 games, if we lose 10 in a row, doesn't say that we are definitely relegated.
Losing hurts, don't get me wrong, but 'booing' is absolutely ridiculous, I find booing a very odd thing to do, you pay your dough to get in, so if you want to boo then do, but I really don't get it.
And booing after 3 games...bloody 'ell!

I would say that any team that loses 10 games in a row during one season is more than likely to get relegated. Lets face it if you lose 10 games in a row it's very unlikely that same team will then win 10 in a row or go unbeaten for the rest of the season.

Still at least we have only lost the last 2 games and not 10 in a row yet.

I would say that any team that loses 10 games in a row during one season is more than likely to get relegated. Lets face it if you lose 10 games in a row it's very unlikely that same team will then win 10 in a row or go unbeaten for the rest of the season.

Still at least we have only lost the last 2 games and not 10 in a row yet.

A fair point, I'm just trying to reiterate the statement of 'There is a long way to go yet, football is a funny old game and it usually evens itself out!'

Back