• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Favourite Sportsman Ever

Good topic! My favourite sportsmen would be...

John McEnroe. Has the British public ever loved (and despite all his tantrums, we all loved him for it) a sportsman not from our shores quite like McEnroe? Every time he was on the telly at Wimbledon, the nation watched, and was hooked. Desire, ability, character - and nowadays, loads of humility and sense. Legend.

Sachin Tendulkar. To watch him playing his strokes is to watch cricket transcend sport into beauty, into art. When he was at his peak, he was truly a genius.

Sir Viv Richards. Another titan of the game; in place of Sachin's artistry, Viv had power, confidence, aggression, belief, fire and an iron will. An awe-inspiring cricketer.

Michael Johnson. The 200m final at Atlanta '96 was the "Beamonesque" moment of my sports-watching lifetime. I have never sat and watched an Olympic event quite so slack-jawed in disbelief at what was unfolding before my eyes. Staggering.

Sir Steve Redgrave. Courage, anger, determination, bloody-mindedness, mind over matter, belief and, above all else, desire. Will anyone win 5 consecutive golds again in our lifetime? Will they do it in an endurance sport like rowing?

(Sir) Chrissy Powell. I have to have one Southend player in my all time heroes, and there's only one who fits the bill. Still one of the finest players ever to wear the blue shirt, and to think we got to enjoy his ability at Roots Hall for almost 6 years. Above all, he's truly an ambassador for the game - someone of which our club, and our country, should be proud.

Good topic! My favourite sportsmen would be...

Sir Viv Richards. Another titan of the game; in place of Sachin's artistry, Viv had power, confidence, aggression, belief, fire and an iron will. An awe-inspiring cricketer.

Michael Johnson. The 200m final at Atlanta '96 was the "Beamonesque" moment of my sports-watching lifetime. I have never sat and watched an Olympic event quite so slack-jawed in disbelief at what was unfolding before my eyes. Staggering.

I'm annoyed I forgot to put Michael Johnson. Excellent call.

As for King Viv, a sure fire way to wind up Mrs Uxbridge is to suggest we name a son (should we have one) Isaac Vivian Alexander in homage to the great man. She just ain't having it.

The one, the only, Mr. John Albert Elway. Being able to watch him play so much for the first 15 years of my life was an absolute treat.

As for the sportsman I respect the most, that would have to go to Terrell Davis, I was lucky enough to meet him on more than one occasion, and he is definitely a man who his caring is not an act. He genuinely likes to help people and it is an absolute shame that his career was cut so short by injury, especially when you consider people like Ray Lewis have been able to enjoy such long careers.

Aryton Senna - I always grew up with F1 and he died when I was a young age but the influence he had on me was amazing. Such a great person and a fantastic driver, will forever live in my heart!!

Carl Fogarty - Another one who I grew up watching and admiring, an all time great in the biking world he will always be remember as the greatest. If you stuck him and Rossi/Stoner on the same bike Foggy would whip their pathetic ****'s!!!

Jonathon Edwards - Triple Jump Olympic gold medalist, I always admired him when I was younger thought what he did and what he had achieved was a great feet. And he seemed like a top bloke.

Michael Owen - He is one of the very few people in football that actually had a brain. He knows what he is on about, very similar to how Alan Shearer was when interviewed. Unfortunately due to his injury problems his footballing had gone down hill recently.

Barry Sheene
Eddy Merckx
Steve Ovett
Alan Knott
Charlie Magri

Charlie Magri runs the pub just round the corner from me. I think we might even have discussed him before, but I had no idea he was one of your top 5 all-time sportsmen.

Charlie Magri runs the pub just round the corner from me. I think we might even have discussed him before, but I had no idea he was one of your top 5 all-time sportsmen.

Ignorant of me I know, but I have genuinly never heard of him! Cyclist?

Correct. Flyweight or something similar.

His pub where he is landlord (not barman, Napster!) is full of boxing memorabilia.

WBC flyweight champion, albeit for only six months. Also a four time ABA Champion and he boxed at the 1976 Olympics.

But more importantly - does his pub serve a good pint YB?

Another vote for Ayrton Senna. I've always been a big fan of any motorsport but Senna was just something else. I was lucky enough to meet him when I was about 6 and even got to sit in his car.

Another vote for Ayrton Senna. I've always been a big fan of any motorsport but Senna was just something else. I was lucky enough to meet him when I was about 6 and even got to sit in his car.

That wasn't at Imola was it? Glad you got out first.

Mark Bentley. No question.

Honourable mentions to Patrick Roy, Tiger Woods (don't really like golf, but this man's complete dominance is awe inspiring), Shane Warne, Jimmy Connors, Sean Taylor (RIP).

Back