• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Favourite Sportsman Ever

Another vote for Ayrton Senna. I've always been a big fan of any motorsport but Senna was just something else. I was lucky enough to meet him when I was about 6 and even got to sit in his car.

????

Ayr.JPG

Boxer wasn't he?

Good little fighter was Charlie Magri. Gave it all, was flyweight World Champion for a while and only lost 5 fights at the end of his career out of 35.

Used to see him training running round Victoria Park in Hackney when I lived in London and now he runs a pet shop in Bethnal Green, I believe.

Certainly up there with the very best of Britsh boxers, my favourites being Lloyd Honeyghan, Nigel Benn, Dennis Andries and Kirkland Laing, who beat Roberto Duran and also would have been a world champ had he been able to leave the ganja alone.

Good little fighter was Charlie Magri. Gave it all, was flyweight World Champion for a while and only lost 5 fights at the end of his career out of 35.

Used to see him training running round Victoria Park in Hackney when I lived in London and now he runs a pet shop in Bethnal Green, I believe.

Certainly up there with the very best of Britsh boxers, my favourites being Lloyd Honeyghan, Nigel Benn, Dennis Andries and Kirkland Laing, who beat Roberto Duran and also would have been a world champ had he been able to leave the ganja alone.

Hadn't heard of Kirkland Laing,so had to look him up. Interesting story, and it reminds me a film I can't remember the name of.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/grandstand/3186337.stm

Don't know about Charlie Magri's pet shop, but I've certainly seen him in the Victoria pub, albeit I haven't been in there for a while. I use to go there to watch the football/rugby when I didn't have Sky Sports at my place.

Hadn't heard of Kirkland Laing,so had to look him up. Interesting story, and it reminds me a film I can't remember the name of.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/grandstand/3186337.stm

Don't know about Charlie Magri's pet shop, but I've certainly seen him in the Victoria pub, albeit I haven't been in there for a while. I use to go there to watch the football/rugby when I didn't have Sky Sports at my place.

Kirkland Laing was extremely talented, but possibly the most 'chinny' boxer in history, except for the brilliant but vulnerable Vernon Sollas. Twice Laing completely outclassed the Welshman Colin Jones, making him look a complete idiot for 8 rounds in both of their fights, only to come a cropper as soon as Jones landed one on his glass-jaw.

As stated above had he laid off the weed it may have helped.

Back