• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ferdinand Again (sorry)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (N'Zamba Legend @ July 22 2005,14:15)]I can't say I'm thrilled at all about the possibility of signing Les Ferdinand. I'm actually hoping this one doesn't come off.
Who would you go for instead then as our experienced front man?

Tilson is after an experienced front man that will benefit the players around him. He could also provide us with a target man type player, someone who will hold the ball up for us, be good in the air, and bring others into play and Les Ferdinand ticks all the right boxes. Not many other players, that are avaliable, tick all the boxes.

I would have prefered Shaun Goater, but he didn't want to come here, same with Luke Beckett, so we move on to our next target and us fans just have to be patient, even though our patience is really being tested at times.

Thats why we love Southend. Keeps us on our toes

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCFARAWAY @ July 22 2005,14:39)]Thats why we love Southend. Keeps us on our toes

biggrin.gif
Don't they just. Never make thing easy for us do they.

Would be boring if they did. It always nice for them to make sure they cause us high blood pressure even when the season is over.

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCFARAWAY @ July 22 2005,14:45)]Would be boring if they did. It always nice for them to make sure they cause us high blood pressure even when the season is over.

biggrin.gif
How many times, though, have we been cruising at 2 nil only to let in a late goal and keep everyone in the crowd on their toes with the heart rapidly beating? Why can't we just win 3 nil every week
tounge.gif
You may say its boring, but I'll settle for it.

Or begun. There is an interview with Tilson on the BBC Website, which makes interesting reading. Sorry but for some reason i am not able to get the link.

He says on there about Goater, and reading between the lines it may be that all is not lost there.

It has been stated that Goater wants to stay in The Championship, but no club appears to be falling over themselves to sign him. Reading are not going to cough up the £50k to Man City. So what are his options, either fester in Readings stiffs or sign for a lower league club if push comes to shove.

I got that vibe from his interview as well, I think its a case of watch this space...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpbizkit @ July 22 2005,15:02)]Wages though, we cant afford him or Ferdinand.
Ferdinand is in a position where he knows he can't be too picky. Clubs aren't falling over each other to sign him, so its either a case of take what you can get or give up the game. Hopefully, his love for the game we see him stay on for one more season, preferably with us on a relatively low wage.

Goater is a different matter though. He is still picking up a weekly wage, and probably quite a good one at that, and he could just stay at Reading, rotting in the reserves and picking up his wage. If Clubs come in for him, he can be picky but if he wants to get out there playing regular football again his going to have to see what offers he can get.

I think both are sensible, and mature enough to realise they are never going to get the wages they got when they were at the likes of Manchester City, Newcastle United and Tottenham Hotspurs.

but goater may have to take a cut to play first team football. He knows if has to drop a league, he has to drop his wages. Simple as that. Basically as Boywonder said - watch this space.

suspect.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ July 22 2005,14:56)]either fester in Readings stiffs or sign for a lower league club if push comes to shove.
I got that vibe too and surely signing Goater now will go against the principals Tilly has always insisted on?

'I want my players to be passionate and committed for the cause of Southend United' or quotes similar throughout last season.

Surely by basically just signing for us because no-one else wants him is not what I would call a committed player?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Einstein @ July 22 2005,15:11)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ July 22 2005,14:56)]either fester in Readings stiffs or sign for a lower league club if push comes to shove.
I got that vibe too and surely signing Goater now will go against the principals Tilly has always insisted on?

'I want my players to be passionate and committed for the cause of Southend United' or quotes similar throughout last season.

Surely by basically just signing for us because no-one else wants him is not what I would call a committed player?
But surely he must want to play for us more than for Reading, if his prepared to leave Reading for us?!

I see what your getting at though, Tilson did say he wanted players at this Club that want to play for Southend United, and his has been proven by the likes of Bentley, Eastwood, Cole and Smith etc and its proved to be a successful decision, what with us winning promotion.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ July 22 2005,15:14)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Einstein @ July 22 2005,15:11)]
[b said:

But surely he must want to play for us more than for Reading, if his prepared to leave Reading for us?!
Doesn't matter how much he wants to play for Reading or not, they do not want him as they are not prepared to pay the extra £50k. Unless a deal can be arranged regarding that figure then he'll most probably leave or be stuck in the Reading Reserves for the season.

But the point is that he can just stay in the reserves at Reading and carry on picking up his substantial wages. So we know that if he does end up here (which I doubt he will) that he's doing it for the right reasons.

Sir Les, on the other hand, is doubtless a multi-millionaire by now anyway. None of us know what his wag demands would be, but again he's got no need to play football so one suspects that if he does go here, or Orient, or anywhere else that he's doing it for the love of the game.

but then you could say - as Les does not have a club at the moment and therefore no money coming in through wages due to the lifestyle he is used to living he may just want to find a club just to pay him money that he wants to carry on his lifestyle.

rock.gif

But then I have meet the guy and he seems like a top bloke and therfore I doubt he would do that.

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCFARAWAY @ July 22 2005,16:23)]but then you could say - as Les does not have a club at the moment and therefore no money coming in through wages due to the lifestyle he is used to living he may just want to find a club just to pay him money that he wants to carry on his lifestyle.

rock.gif

But then I have meet the guy and he seems like a top bloke and therfore I doubt he would do that.

biggrin.gif
Sure am I that, if concerned about these things we are, then concerned about them will Tilly and Brush also be. Happy am I support them in their decision.

that is very hard to digust at quarter to five on a friday afternoon after being down the pub at lunchtime

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCFARAWAY @ July 22 2005,16:42)]that is very hard to digust at quarter to five on a friday afternoon after being down the pub at lunchtime

biggrin.gif
oops. Digest!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCFARAWAY @ July 22 2005,16:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCFARAWAY @ July 22 2005,16:42)]that is very hard to digust at quarter to five on a friday afternoon after being down the pub at lunchtime

biggrin.gif
oops. Digest!

Recommend the "edit" button do I.

Back