• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

galvatron1983

Schoolboy
After an amazing first half of the season, it seems that we are experiencing a bit of a wobble. There have been much worse poor runs of form in the past, but at the moment we are struggling to cement a place in the top 3.

I would love to think that we will throw a few wins together and cling to a place in the top 3, but to be honest my feeling is we will probably finish 4th or 5th. Then it will be the lottery of the play-offs...

If that does happen, I probably would have taken 4th or 5th at the beginning of season if it was offered to me. I can't see us having such a bad end of season run that we will slip out of the top 7 altogether, touch wood!

Still...a long way to go and heres hoping a good run will grab us automatic promotion.

UTB

Well it seems like 3 from 5. Torquay aren't far away but have played 28 like ourselves and have now lost one of their best players in Bodin who has returned to Swindon so I'd be surprised if they challenged for the top 3. If it was 3 from 4 we'd be in good shape and I'd be confident - fact is though with 3 from 5 it means we'd have a very strong side in there with us if we ended up in the play-offs. With our record against the top sides this season I'd be seriously pessimistic about our chances in the lottery...... :thumbdown:

The problem is that if we do have to rely on the play off's we might be in trouble. Just going by our results we have not beaten many teams near the top of the table. To win the play off final at wembley however would be some thing special. If on the other hand we have a prolonged bad run of form it is possible we could not even make the play offs. I think what i'm saying is from here on in almost any scenario is possible and that in itself makes this season very exciting.

Crawley's form is no better than ours and they are still in the Cup. Shrewsbury are inconsistent away from home and it is difficult to believe that Cheltenham will not have a wobble at some time.

For me Swindon are the class team in this division and it is any 2 from the other 4 for automatic promotion.

I don't particularly fancy our chances in the play offs but lets not forget when we were last promoted from League 2 we blew automatic promotion...

I think we will get in top three, fixtures haven't been the best recently but towards the end there's a lot of winnable games, hopefully we peak at the right time.

League 2 play off final is at old trafford I think.

Playing yesterday when everyone else didnt certainly helps. The likes of Crawley and Swindon are still in cup competitions so their fixtures will pile up. I just hope the abandoned game at Aldershot doesnt come back to bite us.
I think if we suddenly drop into the play offs towards the end, it will be hard to Luggy to motivate the troops, it will feel like theyve blown it. Although in fairness we managed it under Tilly having been top 3 for a lot of that season.

A lot of very winnable games in Feb & March, so still confident of a top 3 position.

Hopefully when Phillips returns our defence can settle down a bit more, I think we'll finish 3rd

Having seen Swindon twice I would say they were odds on to win the League. Crawley, don't think they will miss Tubbs with the signings they have made. What they have now looks a pretty potent strike force at this level. I am going to be pessimistic I'm afraid. Can't see us nicking too many games 1 - 0 at the moment so it is 4th at best for me.Unless we can go back to keeping a few more clean sheets. 3rd, 4th and 5th places are too close to call.

Got to hope for third... Looking at the positives... we don't have to play Shrews and Swindon again. Crawley and Cheltenham are at home, draw these at the minimum and carry on getting results against other teams then we could do it.

Cheltenham have got such a difficult March (think it was march) where they play a lot of the top teams, that could make or break there season.

We really need to sort out our home form though, starting with Rotherham this Friday!

That would be great, we could easily take 25,000 to a Wembley final....

We wouldn't get past the first play-off. We've proven ourselves to be big-match bottlers more often than not this year and stand little chance of beating the teams who finish in the top 7 I'm afraid.

Our ONLY chance of promotion this year is top 3.....

We wouldn't get past the first play-off. We've proven ourselves to be big-match bottlers more often than not this year and stand little chance of beating the teams who finish in the top 7 I'm afraid.

Our ONLY chance of promotion this year is top 3.....

I would tend to agree with this.

I think if we suddenly drop into the play offs towards the end, it will be hard to Luggy to motivate the troops, it will feel like theyve blown it. Although in fairness we managed it under Tilly having been top 3 for a lot of that season.

If my old memory is correct, we did'nt reach the top 3 until feb/march time. The 2nd half of that season saw us appear in the top 7 for the 1st time, and we stayed there. If we finish this season in a play off position, i would agree that it will be hard to 'motivate the troops'. Simply because deep down the players will not be playing with the confidence they would have, had they finished the season in a blaze of form, having reached the play offs from a lower position.

I think we must do all we can to bring Daniels back!! If we can tighten up at the back, I believe Swindon>Crawley> Southend automatic with Cheltenham via the playoffs!!

I think we must do all we can to bring Daniels back!! If we can tighten up at the back, I believe Swindon>Crawley> Southend automatic with Cheltenham via the playoffs!!

A goalkeepers only as good as the defence in front of him. Daniels had his critics on here, the main critisism being that he did'nt command his 6 yard box?.

Back