• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We have played some great football this season (not recently) and we will play it again.
We have not seen the best yet of our recent signings
We will soon have Philips back
Baldwin will get match fit
We have Moshni
We have played crap and are still 2nd!

We are going to finish 1st !

We wouldn't get past the first play-off. We've proven ourselves to be big-match bottlers more often than not this year and stand little chance of beating the teams who finish in the top 7 I'm afraid.

Our ONLY chance of promotion this year is top 3.....

We have a mixed record in play offs in recent years, it depends on your form in the run-up to them. Having a poor run of form that causes you to just miss out on 3rd place phsycologically would have a negative impact on the team. So you could easily end up losing to the 7th placed team due to the hangover. Go into a play-off series on the back of a shed-load of wins would give the team a confident mentality, its almost a goal head-start...

...depsite that, in 2005 we stumbled into the play-offs after a bad run, and manage to win the lot...

If it must be the play-offs, getting the 2nd leg semi at home would help!

We have played some great football this season (not recently) and we will play it again.
We have not seen the best yet of our recent signings
We will soon have Philips back
Baldwin will get match fit
We have Moshni
We have played crap and are still 2nd!

We are going to finish 1st !

After reading all the other postings, i can see that so far, apart from united we stand, that no-one has any real faith that we are capable of winning this league, the problem stems from looking at recent games and back at past years with a certain knowledge that Sufc are capable of stuffing up their chances of success. Not all years though !!
We cannot as true supporters keep looking back at what has been, but we should begin to believe that all things are possible and keep believing that until proven otherwise, we should look at the positives .. and they are listed above from united.. we are going to win this league... you just wait and see... Crawley 2nd Cheltenham 3rd :happy:

We have a mixed record in play offs in recent years, it depends on your form in the run-up to them. Having a poor run of form that causes you to just miss out on 3rd place phsycologically would have a negative impact on the team. So you could easily end up losing to the 7th placed team due to the hangover. Go into a play-off series on the back of a shed-load of wins would give the team a confident mentality, its almost a goal head-start...

...depsite that, in 2005 we stumbled into the play-offs after a bad run, and manage to win the lot...

If it must be the play-offs, getting the 2nd leg semi at home would help!

I don't think there are many comparisons to draw between the team we have today and the side 7 years ago. The only constant is Ron Martin.

For one thing, our form against the top 7 was far better and we had some real fight. We took 3-4 points off Swansea, beat Macclesfield home and away and also had a pretty good record over Northampton town who we went on to beat in the first play-off.

I need to see a couple of real performances against top 6 sides and a result to boot before I can start exorcising my demons.

Anywhere from 2nd to 7th, there's alot of football left, all depends on Sturrock's man-management getting the players back in form, settling the new boys in & staying injury free. I feel we can & will get 2nd or 3rd, we just need a bit of luck on the pitch & off it.

It is funny how everybody thinks that all teams around us will win every other game this season. It doesn't work like that.

I'm going to win 800 quid from auto promotion!

CP tweeted an interesting stat yesterday that of the 5 games Phillips has missed this season, we have lost 4 of them.

It is funny how everybody thinks that all teams around us will win every other game this season. It doesn't work like that.

I'm going to win 800 quid from auto promotion!

I dont think that at all. I think that we HAVE to finish top 3 to stand any chance of promotion as Play-Offs will see us remain in L2. We're there or thereabouts at the minute, but results like Daggers and Plymouth are not going to help our cause, especially when we're not able to compete with the top sides.

CP tweeted an interesting stat yesterday that of the 5 games Phillips has missed this season, we have lost 4 of them.

With respect, I dont think Mark Phillips is "the difference"

At the end of the day the table will not lie and over 46 games you get what you deserve. I think to date we have generally punched above our weight which has us riding higher than I predicted at the start of the season (5[SUP]th[/SUP]).

I personally don’t think the “starting XI” is any stronger overall than last season and the bench flatters to deceive on paper anyway (and I thought this would give us the edge this season and Corr coming back). We have had a bit of luck during that run of 17 games but it all evens itself out over the season.

The worries for me moving forward into the home straight are the defence which look back to their 2010/11 best with key losses in concentration costing us dearly and “that bench”. Looks great but I don’t see anyone beating a path to Sturrocks door saying I must start or send me on and I can turn a game (Moshni is the only exception when not starting).

The subs to me look too content / resigned to playing the part of the half time “keepy uppy” boys...maybe Sturrock does not have faith in them to deliver...but they look like job seekers who get the interview but never the job...and I suppose that can get to you after a while. I have been surprised that we have not used the subs more this season (especially when things were going well...15 minutes here and 30 minutes there), both as a way to keep the squad and starting XI on their toes and also avoid “burn out” in certain players. And I don’t see that usual “youthful” type of player who has something to prove and runs onto the pitch with purpose.

Take Saturday as an example...clearly we had taken our foot off the gas second half and were coasting and add in the fact that Plymouth had to play better than they did in the first half but we didn’t look to freshen up different parts of the team.

I look forward to seeing how Sturrock handles this large squad during the run in and keeps the focus on the clubs objectives for this season. With so many teams in the hunt for automatic promotion, the margins will be fine.

After reading all the other postings, i can see that so far, apart from united we stand, that no-one has any real faith that we are capable of winning this league, the problem stems from looking at recent games and back at past years with a certain knowledge that Sufc are capable of stuffing up their chances of success. Not all years though !!
We cannot as true supporters keep looking back at what has been, but we should begin to believe that all things are possible and keep believing that until proven otherwise, we should look at the positives .. and they are listed above from united.. we are going to win this league... you just wait and see... Crawley 2nd Cheltenham 3rd :happy:

:nope:errrrrr no, your forgetting swindon out of that equation

6th at the very best for me.

I reckon the top 3 is nailed on for Swindon, Crawley and Cheltenham (in that order).

Shrewsbury and Torquay will probably take the next two places.

We have to visit the likes of the Gills, Oxford, and Burton and whilst we have a fair size gap at the moment defeat at each of those places will leave as very vulnerable to even missing out on the play-off places altogether.

We are by know means at the crest of this slump at the moment, and I doubt the manager knows a way out of it.

6th at the very best for me.

I reckon the top 3 is nailed on for Swindon, Crawley and Cheltenham (in that order).

Shrewsbury and Torquay will probably take the next two places.

We have to visit the likes of the Gills, Oxford, and Burton and whilst we have a fair size gap at the moment defeat at each of those places will leave as very vulnerable to even missing out on the play-off places altogether.

We are by know means at the crest of this slump at the moment, and I doubt the manager knows a way out of it.

I think tellingly for me, only Burton in the top 10 of the table have let in more goals than Southend.
2nd (& automatics) is definitely a false position, so playoffs at best beckon (I still think 8th come start of May).

Still think we've got a great chance of automatic. Swindon, Cheltenham and Torquay have all been on great form to catch us up. Swindon have lost only one of their last 16 so they are all due a slump and will be taking points of each other as well.

We have 53 points and another 30 should do it. We can afford to win nine draw three and lose six of these and still achieve that.

We're in an awful run of form and player confidence is low. Keeper is having a nightmare, defending is poor and attack is non-existent, despite all the forwards we've signed.

Play-Offs look realistic, but you never know. One or two good performances and it could all change.

Back