• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Fiorentina match - 30 years ago

Maldon Shrimper

First XI⭐
Chris Phillips just posted that 30 years ago today we played Fiorentina who had Gabriel Batasuta in the team remember if it was yesterday flying out with the team from Stansted believe we lost but cant remember the score.Does anyone else remember going and what was the result?

Chris Phillips just posted that 30 years ago today we played Fiorentina who had Gabriel Batasuta in the team remember if it was yesterday flying out with the team from Stansted believe we lost but cant remember the score.Does anyone else remember going and what was the result?
I flew out from Southend. Didn't even have a passport back then, I'm sure I got a day passport or something like that

0-3. I was there too. Great trip from Southend airport. Away for a few days in a nice hotel with the players and a tour of Florence included.

I flew out from Southend. Didn't even have a passport back then, I'm sure I got a day passport or something like that
A mate and I went on that flight. Sat in front of Alison Moyet in the ground. I seem to remember there not being enough coaches to ferry us all from Pisa Airport to Florence, and Stefan Effenberg was also in the Fiorentina side. He might have been out injured though.

EkJTolNWkAARbrO

When the usual ludicrous price the club wanted for their package dropped on I think the Sunday night I agreed with my then wife, also a seaso, that I'd go,

Went into work on the Monday ready to tell my boss & sort the money out with the club (this was pre-google etc young'uns)..........to discover that she'd been hit by a motorbike courier in London & was in hospital with injuries at the time undiagnosed. Fortunately it turned out that the skull fracture wasn't serious as neither were her other injuries but given the status of the company at the time I couldn't leave without one of us in the office.

I still cry to this day..........😭😭😭😭

If memory serves this was also the 1st meeting of 2 other club legends, apart from Batistuta & Howell, as the late much missed Paul Holland bumped into John Anthony Portsmouth Football Club Westwood aka Pompey John & his bell at either a train station or airport in Italy.
After that we always used to meet up at Portsmouth & England games.

1697194653006.png

A mate and I went on that flight. Sat in front of Alison Moyet in the ground. I seem to remember there not being enough coaches to ferry us all from Pisa Airport to Florence, and Stefan Effenberg was also in the Fiorentina side. He might have been out injured though.
We did the tour of Florence as part of the deal and we had Alf and her hubby Dave with us. Got the pics somewhere in the loft. Need to dig them out one day.
I remember the food stall outside the ground and it's just looked like horse meat

If memory serves this was also the 1st meeting of 2 other club legends, apart from Batistuta & Howell, as the late much missed Paul Holland bumped into John Anthony Portsmouth Football Club Westwood aka Pompey John & his bell at either a train station or airport in Italy.
After that we always used to meet up at Portsmouth & England games.

View attachment 29447
Yes, I was with Paul that trip, Pete. Remember it well. We did Cosenza the month after too. Great memories.

This is a brilliant video. Turn your volume up to hear the banter at training before the game.
Love him or hate him, Barry Fry always kept everything relaxed and fun around the club and at training. He would even join in on the wind ups and pranks I was told. But on the day of a game, he would get quite serious, and made sure every player knew his job, and the tactics for that game. If you weren't doing your job first half, you got both barrels at half time.
This game v Cosenza was infamous because of all the off ball stuff the Italians were doing. Racial remarks to our black players. Spitting, elbows, hair pulling, tripping up, all sorts. Can Southend get the win? With a striker like Brett Angell, you always have a chance. 45 Southend fans to cheer them on.

I have 2 years to go through my Reggiana experience which was 28 years ago less a couple of days. To be fair if I start typing now I might finish by then as let's say it had it's moments (Bob Sills 😤😤🤣).

We did the tour of Florence as part of the deal and we had Alf and her hubby Dave with us. Got the pics somewhere in the loft. Need to dig them out one day.
I remember the food stall outside the ground and it's just looked like horse meat
We did a tour as well, but I must have been in a different group. I remember the river being a hideous light brown colour...:Think:

I didn't go the game but I was in Florence the next summer (1994) and decided to take a scooter ride down near the stadium where I was delighted to find 'Southend United' spray painted on a wall.

Back