• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Fiorentina match - 30 years ago

This is a brilliant video. Turn your volume up to hear the banter at training before the game.
Love him or hate him, Barry Fry always kept everything relaxed and fun around the club and at training. He would even join in on the wind ups and pranks I was told. But on the day of a game, he would get quite serious, and made sure every player knew his job, and the tactics for that game. If you weren't doing your job first half, you got both barrels at half time.
This game v Cosenza was infamous because of all the off ball stuff the Italians were doing. Racial remarks to our black players. Spitting, elbows, hair pulling, tripping up, all sorts. Can Southend get the win? With a striker like Brett Angell, you always have a chance. 45 Southend fans to cheer them on.

Couple of things stand out - the track suits about 12m 15 secs in! My word.

The quality of football seems low - the game has changed quite a bit.

A great competition when Calcio and serie A was the best league in the world. Southend lining up against Batigol is a story told a lot, and rightly so! It surprises me that not many people realise Claudio Ranieri was the manager of Fiorentina at that time.

Remember it well. Flew in to Pisa and drank a few beers. Got interviewed by BBC East whilst overlooking Florence. We were offered the chance to take in the culture which we did in the bars. Very friendly locals. Batistuta was different class. The score was immaterial as we were following our team in Europe.

Yes it was around 1970. We lost 1-0 and the programme cover was purple, Fiorentina’s colours.
Yes, I put it up on the Old Photos of Southend United thread.

fiorentina.jpg

This is a brilliant video. Turn your volume up to hear the banter at training before the game.
Love him or hate him, Barry Fry always kept everything relaxed and fun around the club and at training. He would even join in on the wind ups and pranks I was told. But on the day of a game, he would get quite serious, and made sure every player knew his job, and the tactics for that game. If you weren't doing your job first half, you got both barrels at half time.
This game v Cosenza was infamous because of all the off ball stuff the Italians were doing. Racial remarks to our black players. Spitting, elbows, hair pulling, tripping up, all sorts. Can Southend get the win? With a striker like Brett Angell, you always have a chance. 45 Southend fans to cheer them on.
Well you can hear our fans about the 1 hr 24 mark!

my old eyes struggle to read that 🥸
That's the size it come up. If you right click on it, and click open image in new tab. In new tab, then left click on the 3 dots top right of your screen. Then click zoom and increase to over 200% to suit, you can read it. I also can't see it properly, so that's what I did.

1:P.SANSOME
2;P.GRIDELET
3:C.POWELL
4:K.JONES (Captain).
5:A.EDWARDS
6:G.BRESSINGTON
7:A.HUNT
8:D.PAYNE
9:G.JONES
10:R.OTTO
11:B.ANGELL

SUBS:
LEE, ROYCE, HOWELL, SCULLY, POOLE.

Last edited:
That's the size it come up. If you right click on it, and click open image in new tab. In new tab, then left click on the 3 dots top right of your screen. Then click zoom and increase to over 200% to suit, you can read it. I also can't see it properly, so that's what I did.

2;P.GRIDELET

SUBS:
LEE, ROYCE, HOWELL, SCULLY, POOLE.
top tip, thanks

2;P.GRIDELET

SUBS: