• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

First Five Games in Last Five Seasons

Whilst we have probably not got the points our performances deserve it has ultimately been another disappointing start to the season !.
On checking our record over the last five seasons in the first five games at the start of campaign our form has been as follows.

2005/2006 Won 1 Drew 2 Lost 2 Goals for 5 Against 5
2006/2007 Won 2 Drew 0 Lost 3 Goals for 5 Against 7
2007/2008 Won 2 Drew 0 Lost 3 Goals for 7 Against 9
2008/2009 Won 1 Drew 1 Lost 3 Goals for 5 Against 10
[SIZE=+0] 2009/2010 Won 0 Drew 4 Lost 1 Goals for 6 Against 7

That averages out at a point a game which in any of those completed seasons would have meant relegation had that form continued throughout the season.
We have usually picked up form after a sluggish start meaning that we have only suffered relegation in one of the four completed seasons.
Whilst it is obviously where you finish in May that really matter's these indifferent starts are harmful to our chances of success.
[SIZE=+0] But why do we never seem to get of to flyer ?[/SIZE]

(A) Poor pre season preparation and choice friendly's
(B) Ron being a little tight and only spending cash in the summer on his holidays.
(C) Despite working our socks off in every game we have just not the decisions from the referees' we deserved.
(D) A reason not stated above (Please feel free to explain !) [/SIZE]

Good post. I believe that we change our squad quite a bit every season (mainly in defense) and we need to settle down and to click together as a unit. Our midfield didn't change and you could tell that in the first couple of games because we were passing and moving the ball about very well but we were weak at the back.

I think we're getting better in terms of pre-season preparation (e.g all the players having summer guidelines and fitness requirements set by the Conditioning coach so they come back with less need to build the base fitness) but I definitely think we lack in terms of our pre-season opposition. I personally don't buy the "we love to help local football" tack that was trawled out by Ron at the AGM.

We could quite easily have 4 or 5 more points, giving away a last minute penalty at Wallsall being 2 up against Huddersfield.

The performances have been generally good so I'm not worried.

Still unbeaten

So four home games played, and we're still unbeaten at The Hall. I think our performances on the pitch have pleasently surprised some people (me included) and pre-season talks of relegation have subsided for the moment.

Big question is, how long can we stay unbeaten at home?

We've now played two teams battling for automatic positions in the form of Leeds and 'Uddersfield, a play-off chasing Millwall side and our bogey team Orient, and not only are we still unbeaten, but we're playing attractive football and probably deserve more than 7 points from those games.

Obviously talk of play-off's is a bit mad IMO, especially it being only september, but if we can keep our home form, and pick up points here and there away, we could be looking towards the top half of the table, and not the bottom come March/April time.

Notibly, the last time we went unbeaten at home from start of the season
(5 games) was back in the 2006/07 season, and we all know what happened then...

We could quite easily have 4 or 5 more points, giving away a last minute penalty at Wallsall being 2 up against Huddersfield.

The performances have been generally good so I'm not worried.

Also should have won against Wycombe and had our moments against Millwall and Leeds by the sound of it...

The worry is not being able to turn the possession into points, with the exception of last week's game v the O's. We're looking for a loan striker with pace reportedly and if we find one then that's going to give a much-needed dimension lacking since Theo's departure. Creativity in midfield is an ongoing debate here...at (or with) what point will Tilly dispense with the JFC-Macca axis and play Sawyer? The answer could be one yellow card away...

Just realised i've started a rather similar thread. Possible merger Mods?

. I personally don't buy the "we love to help local football" tack that was trawled out by Ron at the AGM.

I agree to a certain extent, after all pre season tours cost money ! A commodity we have little fo at the moment, nice close matches mean that expenses are kept to a minimum.
Also, i think the reason we dont play the like of West Ham, Spurs adn other Premier League teams is that i dont see much point to us playing them when theyre gonna put 5 or 6 goals past us and thrashing are not really a benefit to team spirit which is what we seem to rely on a lot with our small squad.

The performances are there,we just need a partner for Barney and some creativeness in the middle. A few decent loan signings and I think we can challenge for the top 6 this season.

We've played some big sides as well, I've kept saying the draws haven't worried me....not just yet.

I think its pretty fair to say that we have been the better side in all of our games so far this season. Thats more important at this stage of the season. Now, if we dont start turning these performances into points in the next couple of months, then I'll start to feel a bit concerned.

We have faced Huddersfield, Millwall, Leeds and Orient at home already, tough by anyones standards and we have deserved 12 points from those tbh. Away we battered Wycombe only got a point, Walsall we were done by a 90th min pen and Swindon we were robbed by the ref. All in all impressive performances. A couple of decent attacking signings and a defender and we will challenge the top 6.

Last edited:
I think its pretty fair to say that we have been the better side in all of our games so far this season. Thats more important at this stage of the season. Now, if we dont start turning these performances into points in the next couple of months, then I'll start to feel a bit concerned.

We have faced Huddersfield, Millwall, Leeds and Orient at home already, tough by anyones standards and we have deserved 12 points from those tbh. Away we battered Wycombe only got a point, Walsall we were done by a 90th min pen and Swindon we were robbed by the ref. All in all impressive performances. A couple of decent attacking signings and a defender and we will challenge the top 6.

What this bloke says...about spot on. We just need the rub of the green.

Whilst we have probably not got the points our performances deserve it has ultimately been another disappointing start to the season !.
On checking our record over the last five seasons in the first five games at the start of campaign our form has been as follows.

2005/2006 Won 1 Drew 2 Lost 2 Goals for 5 Against 5
2006/2007 Won 2 Drew 0 Lost 3 Goals for 5 Against 7
2007/2008 Won 2 Drew 0 Lost 3 Goals for 7 Against 9
2008/2009 Won 1 Drew 1 Lost 3 Goals for 5 Against 10
[SIZE=+0] 2009/2010 Won 0 Drew 4 Lost 1 Goals for 6 Against 7

That averages out at a point a game which in any of those completed seasons would have meant relegation had that form continued throughout the season.
We have usually picked up form after a sluggish start meaning that we have only suffered relegation in one of the four completed seasons.
Whilst it is obviously where you finish in May that really matter's these indifferent starts are harmful to our chances of success.
[SIZE=+0] But why do we never seem to get of to flyer ?[/SIZE]

(A) Poor pre season preparation and choice friendly's
(B) Ron being a little tight and only spending cash in the summer on his holidays.
(C) Despite working our socks off in every game we have just not the decisions from the referees' we deserved.
(D) A reason not stated above (Please feel free to explain !) [/SIZE]

It's no single factor. I'd also suggest our style of play makes us more of an autumn and spring team. In August the pitches don't suit us, the ball doesn't zip about it as well, whilst the heat saps our strength and hinders our pressing (eg Huddersfield where Grant being dead on his legs cost us 2 points). Likewise in December/January we sometimes struggle when the pitches get too heavy, which slows the ball down and saps the players' legs. It's not a huge factor though.

I agree with most that we should have more points that we have gained.
But Johnlattimerssponge was highlighting a consistent run of very average starts over five season's so I do feel there is more than luck involved !

IMHO there are a number of factor's but think both option A and B are big factor's.

I think some of the player's look almost as bored as some fans when we play Great Wakering and Canvey every pre season which in my opinion is not ideal preparation every season.

Also despite promise's we never seem to make early signings to strengthen the squad and give it a little more time to gel before the season start's.

I like the preseasons locally, gives you a chance for a bit of a chat and banter and stuff. Having said that, I fully expected a Spanish tour to link in with the set up there this year.

Back